DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So bummed - no drones allowed on Alaska cruise

Drones could be banned on ships excursions but not on excursions that you purchase on shore. It's a gamble taking outside excursions because if your late returning you might get a photo of your ships leaving port without you. Not good if you're in Juneau for instance. I've never taken a drone on a cruise because I know I'd probably never use it but
I am a little surprised that I've never seen a video of someone waving goodbye to their DJI mini from their balcony.

Reactions: BigAl07
What cruise line are you going on?.......

Here is what I did....We were going to fly to Hawaii and take a 7 day cruise on Norwegian Cruse line while in Hawaii....So I checked the NCL web site on line and it said "NO DRONES"......so I called NCL and after getting sent to three different people I finally got to talk to some one . When I told her that I read that NCL had a "no drone" policy I asked her "why"...this is what she told me. The cruise line felt "someone flying a drone would bean invasion of someones privacy".....and that people would feel uncomfortable about a drone flying over them talking photos/movies. When I told here that I had no intentions of flying the drone on the ship...that I just wanted it to use when on land. Again she repeated the same thing...so my response was " that is a really lame excuse....an invasion of someone privacy....what about someone walking around taking photos of people around the pool with a camera....She said that was different....needless to say this person was

dumb as rocks.....She then told me that if someone try's to bring a drone on board it would be confiscated and then returned when the cruise was over......I decided to chance it and I took my drone [ Mavic Pro 2] in a large camera back pack with all my other camera gear...I turned it up sideways...when went thorough the X-ray machine when we got onboard the first time ...I wasn't even stopped .......only once did I have to open the back pack when I would take it off the ship at any of the 5 ports we stopped at....and when it was opened the guy was only concerned with a long telephotos lens I had.....SO GO FOR IT!!!

I‘m quite certain the ‘no drones“ on cruise ships are specifically referring to launch & fly from/on the cruise ship.
On my next cruise I may try walking around the ship using the drone to video without the props on.

My wife have been on numerous over 20 cruises with Lindblad, from the North Atlantic to Antarctica and all points in between. I can tell you you will never be allowed to have a drone on board. Captain will take it and give it back at the completion of trip.
had a fellow on an Amazon River trip try to sneak a flight. He and his wife were out ashore at the next port and sent home.

Sorry to hear that about no drones allowed on your voyage.
Next year, if things settle down going on on Princess cruise to Italy, no problem with bring my MM2 on board.

Here’s the thing. Do your shore excursions with a private guide, not through the Cruise line. Of all the cruises and shore excursions I’ve done, I NEVER did one through the cruise line. Who in god’s name would want to get on one of those huge tour buses with the same lumbering zombies you spend the whole week stalled behind as they waddle half step through the corridors 4 butts wide disrupting free flow for us folks who have the good sense to resist a 3rd plate of flapjacks at the breakfast buffet. Hell no.
That said, when you‘re with your family, even on a private excursion, a drone is a bit of a burden. I’m enough of a drag asking the guide to stop the van every 100 yards, taking dozens of 6 image panos at every stop. I didn’t take my drone on my Alaska cruise if for no other reason, I would have ended up with fewer images overall. Its pretty easy to see why they wouldnt want folks flying drones on a cruise-organized shore excursion with so many people walking about. I decided I need to do a land journey for my next visit to Alaska.

Last edited:
That said, when you‘re with your family, even on a private excursion, a drone is a bit of a burden. I’m enough of a drag asking the guide to stop the van every 100 yards, taking dozens of 6 image panos at every stop.

This is as much of a reason for cruise lines to prohibit drones, as the ship safety if a drone owner decided they'd like to do a short flight around / over / from the ship at some stage.
Safety (duty of care / liability) of other passengers, their enjoyment of peaceful places, and the general fit of such activities with other tour / excursion needs.

Have had friends (not drone hobbyists) refer to that ONE pax on an overland African safari, that would take their drone out at every stop to fly / film (when permitted).
Many in the small group did subtlety complain about the 'noise', and how the group would often be waiting for the drone operator to land and pack up.
It irked most of the other participants, and the guide / driver quite a bit apparently, especially when it seemed the pilot was either oblivious to the problems / bad feelings he caused, or didn't care.

It's like a professional photographer going on such a normal tour, they want to shoot photos, and often take a long time to get things all perfect for a shot.
Better to either do a proper photography tour, or just go independent.

I guess with cruise lines, you want to check out well in advance if they permit drones in a hold situation for use at some places, or if they totally ban bringing them.

Reactions: ckoerner
This is as much of a reason for cruise lines to prohibit drones, as the ship safety if a drone owner decided they'd like to do a short flight around / over / from the ship at some stage.
Safety (duty of care / liability) of other passengers, their enjoyment of peaceful places, and the general fit of such activities with other tour / excursion needs.

Have had friends (not drone hobbyists) refer to that ONE pax on an overland African safari, that would take their drone out at every stop to fly / film (when permitted).
Many in the small group did subtlety complain about the 'noise', and how the group would often be waiting for the drone operator to land and pack up.
It irked most of the other participants, and the guide / driver quite a bit apparently, especially when it seemed the pilot was either oblivious to the problems / bad feelings he caused, or didn't care.

It's like a professional photographer going on such a normal tour, they want to shoot photos, and often take a long time to get things all perfect for a shot.
Better to either do a proper photography tour, or just go independent.

I guess with cruise lines, you want to check out well in advance if they permit drones in a hold situation for use at some places, or if they totally ban bringing them.
Well said. In that example, I would definitely not have been flying. It’s common sense for a professional.

I like flying a lot and when I travel to worthy destinations, I‘ll bring both drones and capture quite a bit of footage/photos without being a burden. But, flying is not a group activity. IMO, neither is photography. I‘ve learned over the years how to travel with friends and family while still working in time for aerial and ground work. I go out early, shortly after sunrise, then later, closer to sunset. A few batteries only takes an hour and if you plan ahead and are efficient, you can get a lot of footage in that time. 3-4 batteries twice a day and the rest of the time is spent with family. Couple your flying with some hiking or boating and it all works out.

Sorry to hear that about no drones allowed on your voyage.
Next year, if things settle down going on on Princess cruise to Italy, no problem with bring my MM2 on board.
We are Princess Platinum and read every newsletter. Please enlighten where there is a new Princess policy to even allow drones to be brought on ship without being confiscated?

Holland America's rule is strict. They will confiscate a drone when you board and will not release it until final disembarkation. Other cruise lines are not so strict, though flying from the ship or the port area is prohibited. I have it in writing that Viking and AmaWaterways will allow guests to have drones with them as long as they are not flown on board or in port, but can be used ashore, with the user responsible for complying with local laws. Much of Alaska's land is federally-owned, so National Parks and designated wilderness areas are off limits to drones, but there is a lot of stunning scenery open to exploration by UASs.

Don't suppose anyone considers what would happen if you did launch your drone while the ship was out at sea. LOL. Bye-bye drone most likely....RTH would be useless and at the speed, the ship travels you'd more than likely lose it.

Gotta love the attitude "Hey - there's a rule, let's break it!" So many people these days are so conceited and egotistical - anything for the public good is an instant violation of their rights. What these folk don't seem to get is their rights end when those rights interfere with mine. There is a reason places have rules, and the rules are generally there for a reason. Jill Employee on the desk answering phones likely doesn't know the details of why a rule is there, but is polite and tries to explain reasons that might make sense. But the rule probably has a very good reason for existing. Whether the cruise insurance had to pay for one too many drone crashes, personal injuries, or some weird port fine for allowing an illegal object into a country.

Reactions: Dmcvey and ckoerner
It's all about getting the shot, the (Mod Removed Inappropriate Language)with laws and everyone's safety, my wants come first. :). (joking....or am I?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - I really don't care if you fall off that waterfall overhang - but if you hit me on the way down I'll own your behind... lol.

How about this scenario...

Purchase a helium balloon party pack available at most stores, 400 feet of kite string and a GoPro 360 camera to hang from the bottom to capture the areal views.

When you're finished, give the balloons to the local children on the way back to the ship or dispose of them properly.

This nonsense is probably not allowed either but I think outside of the box sometimes. ?

Reactions: eEridani
Rather than the balloon kit, which would be a pain in itself: why not buy a bluray of a sanctioned flight over the natural spaces you are there to enjoy rather than fret over? My most enjoyable visits to the most beautiful places on Earth were when I went without a camera.

The gift shop usually has nice photo books and media for purchase with views you'll probably never get .

Simple.

On small expedition ships the rules are hard and fast! I've used DJI drones on South Georgia Island and in Antarctica and the hoops that we had to jump through to gain permission were endless. Months of to & fro for the producers in dealing with the Argentinian government, the Port Authority in Ushuaia, and then that crucial final ok on the day from our ship's captain.

Under Argentina's UAV laws, when we did launch, we were required to deploy a scuba diving team in a Zodiac and fit the Inspire with landing skid floats every time we were in the air. It's tough for everyone and as a professional cinematographer, I'm finding it's getting tougher.

At least for this assignment, I brought a talented drone crew from Australia who bore much of the heat but also received much of the praise for the amazing video images. Even if you did gain permission, flying a drone on any cruise won't win you many friends on board!

Last edited:
Reactions: eEridani
... lumbering zombies you spend the whole week stalled behind as they waddle half step through the corridors 4 butts wide disrupting free flow for us folks who have the good sense to resist a 3rd plate of flapjacks at the breakfast buffet.
I resemble that remark...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser