DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So, I had a fly away today. :(

Mattanous

Reactions
I was playing with some shooting techniques on tripod mode i was near a tree but not too close. Far enough away to keep the sensors from acknowledging it i was centing my shot when all the sudden the lights went red, and it just started going up (honestly relieved a tree was there) and it launched itself into the branches and fell from about 20 feet. 2 props broke, a small chip near the arm and from scratches. I have no clue what happened. Kind of bummed but I have dji care thank goodness. But still really mad.

Flight log DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

UPDATE 9/25/2018: DJI Determined the incident was not my fault and that it fell under warranty, so they covered the repairs. I'm pretty relieved. Hoping it doesn't happen again and I can enjoy my unit with piece of mind. The only drag is the ground shipping from Cali all the way to FL lol.

Attachments

• 20180907_195031.jpg
    20180907_195031.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 200
  • 20180907_195010.jpg
    20180907_195010.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Oh...sorry man
Its sound like interference or something like that, could be?
:(

when all the sudden the lights went red, and it just started going up ... I have no clue what happened. Kind of bummed but I have dji care thank goodness. But still really mad.
I REALLY hope its something simple. But it really spazzed out and now im bummed :(
Mavics don't just fly away but flyers not understanding what is going on may think they have.
With the LEDs going red and the Mavic unexpectedly climbing, it sounds like the mavic may have been trying to RTH because the battery level was low?
The simple way to find out what actually happened is to look at the recorded flight data.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident, which should help you to prevent similar incidents in future.

Last edited:
Jus
Mavics don't just fly away but flyers not understanding what is going on may think they have.
With the LEDs going red and the Phantom unexpectedly climbing, it sounds like the mavic may have been trying to RTH because the battery level was low?
The simple way to find out what actually happened is to look at the recorded flight data.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident, which should help you to prevent similar incidents in future.
Just posted a comment of the log link. Im not doubting theres something i may jave done wrong, but it did randomly just freakout, even return to home can dodge a tree, this didnt.

I was playing with some shooting techniques on tripod mode i was near a tree but not too close. Far enough away to keep the sensors from acknowledging it i was centing my shot when all the sudden the lights went red, and it just started going up (honestly relieved a tree was there) and it launched itself into the branches and fell from about 20 feet. 2 props broke, a small chip near the arm and from scratches. I have no clue what happened. Kind of bummed but I have dji care thank goodness. But still really mad.

I had a "surprise" moment today. After my free mode hyperlapse shot, the application informed me it was done and processing. Even though I had dropped the sticks to neutral, the drone decided to fly up and to the right as soon as the hyperlapse was complete. This was about a 90 degree right turn and I was not giving input and the battery life was stell 52%. I watched in disbelief for about 8-10 seconds, then it stopped in-place. I never freaked out but that was very odd and unpredictable event.

I can only draw one conclusion. I believe the current firmware/software is not quite "prime time". I think for the most part, things are working well but these glitches are to be expected. I am hopeful enough people are reporting these things to DJI, although I have not. I was being lazy and hoping someone else covered for me, lol. I just want the new firmware to come out and fix all this stuff. If I had lost my drone (I was over a large lake, lol), I would have been "up the creek" and very upset. Sorry for your accident/crash. I am definitely keeping this thing on a tight leash for a while, especially if I plan to use any of the intelligent flight modes where the software is in charge instead of me.

Reactions: kashfr
Im not doubting theres something i may jave done wrong, but it did randomly just freakout, even return to home can dodge a tree, this didnt.
That flight log doesn't show any rising up that doesn't correspond to your joystick inputs..
It ends after 19:26 of flight with the Mavic in Tripod mode hovering at an altitude of 10 feet for a minute.

Unexpected cases of the aircraft suddenly climbing straight up are usually a case of RTH on low battery, but there's no sign of that in this log.
Perhaps there,s another flight log with the incident?

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
I watched in disbelief for about 8-10 seconds, then it stopped in-place.

I can only draw one conclusion. I believe the current firmware/software is not quite "prime time".
Without checking what the recorded flight data shows, you are just guessing and probably wrong.
Looking at the flight data might give some clues as to what really happened.

That flight log doesn't show any rising up that doesn't correspond to your joystick inputs..
It ends after 19:26 of flight with the Mavic in Tripod mode hovering at an altitude of 10 feet for a minute.

Unexpected cases of the aircraft suddenly climbing straight up are usually a case of RTH on low battery, but there's no sign of that in this log.
Perhaps there,s another flight log with the incident?
No thats definately the log. I just went back out to the spot, and it was definately around 10 feet. Thats why this is so strange it just happened. Thats the last log i have which corresponds to when i was outside with it. Also the flight path it shows is what i was doing with it.

Update my perception was off, it was only at about 10 feet before it just took off. Ive had a few weird connection issues so far but my signal was pretty good this time.

Reactions: HighBry
Update my perception was off, it was only at about 10 feet before it just took off. Ive had a few weird connection issues so far but my signal was pretty good this time.
One possible explanation is that signal was lost (which would explain no further data in the flight record) and the Mavic entered RTH as it is programmed to.
If that's the case and there was no tree to stop it's progress, you would have seen it climb to your RTH height and go back home.

Last edited:

That or sometimes dirty or broken downward sensors.

The manual doesnt state the upward sensor works in RTH so i guess it disable in that mode?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb