DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So I have the MP2 with smart controller - do I need a standard controller?

steve495

Reactions
The obvious choice seemed to be the smart controller and so that's what I did. It's a fine piece of kit, but it does have limitations as to what can be installed.

I was able to get the Google Play store installed and install Dronelink and I think I could install Litchi if needed.

But services like Dronebase want you to use their app for missions. Plus - although it would be an expensive jump for someone getting started - Dronebase is also suggesting apps like DroneDeploy or Pix4D may be required for many missions. Due to DJI's use of a custom Android version - and that they don't seem to have any interest in changing - I understand why 3rd party developers have little interest in jumping into the custom-made DJI Android version.

So, will I end up looking for a standard controller and looking for a tablet?

Can't really afford it now ... but thinking ahead. Will I need it?

The obvious choice seemed to be the smart controller and so that's what I did. It's a fine piece of kit, but it does have limitations as to what can be installed.

I was able to get the Google Play store installed and install Dronelink and I think I could install Litchi if needed.

But services like Dronebase want you to use their app for missions. Plus - although it would be an expensive jump for someone getting started - Dronebase is also suggesting apps like DroneDeploy or Pix4D may be required for many missions. Due to DJI's use of a custom Android version - and that they don't seem to have any interest in changing - I understand why 3rd party developers have little interest in jumping into the custom-made DJI Android version.

I thought about getting a standard controller and using my iPadPro, but I also got the SC Combo with my M2 and right now I see no real reason to go to a standard controller. The only reason I initially thought of doing so was saving the few dollars and headache of going from iOS to Litchi Android and the pain of installing third party apps.

After a bit of investigation, and doing as you have already done (PlayStore) I see no need. The SC works fine side loading Apps and for me at least getting Litchi from the Amazon Store accomplished all that I need. Granted you want the full array of third party apps, so in your instance it may be your route. Have you even tried to side load those Apps to even try?

IF you don't already have the display /tablet of choice your looking at a very healthy investment to do so, but if you have the need to have all those Apps then maybe the money you make will offset that purchase...personally Litchi is all I will ever need and I can find or improvise with its feature set to accomplish why I would need to buy any other. YMMV :)

Have you even tried to side load those Apps to even try?
Nope, not yet. I'm somewhat interested in loading Dronebase, but after a long search I'm not seeing anyone who has sideloaded it. The more I look at Dronebase .... I'm thinking they will not be a solid source to get occasional jobs. I'm jumping into this since a couple of previous clients asked about it and I've done some video and photos for them ... and to get outside more instead of staring at this stupid computer screen all day.

Reactions: Crashdummytest
Nope, not yet. I'm somewhat interested in loading Dronebase, but after a long search I'm not seeing anyone who has sideloaded it. The more I look at Dronebase .... I'm thinking they will not be a solid source to get occasional jobs. I'm jumping into this since a couple of previous clients asked about it and I've done some video and photos for them ... and to get outside more instead of staring at this stupid computer screen all day.
I just noticed DroneBase, I was thinking of something else....all I will say about them and since their inception is that they are about a joke ripoff from all reports I have seen. This coming from Inspire 2 pilots on down for several years. If your getting some coin from them then you are doing good as from all I ever have seen your the minority. But again that is your side and I have no actual dealings with them, but I do have trusted associates that got burned by them ;)

I am done working for someone else and have been for many years being retired..any money I wish to make is mine and I'm not splitting it :p

Reactions: Gary R and steve495
Pix4D works on the Smart Controller with no issue. As does Litchi.

If you want to use Drone Deploy or others then yes, you'll need a standard controller.

An unpopular benefit of the standard controller is the ability to link 2 of them to one AC for guided practice flying. Also the transmission distance is greater than the SC.

Pix4D works on the Smart Controller with no issue. As does Litchi.

If you want to use Drone Deploy or others then yes, you'll need a standard controller.

Whenever I try using Pix4D on the SC it does not connect correctly, stating it needs permissions granted. Ive searched into settings and made the changes but I'm still getting that message. As a result I cannot see the camera view on Pix4D, only on DJIGo4. Also loading up the software takes a considerable amount of time and runs laggy. Any advice?

I think you need connect installed for pix4d to talk to the drone.

I dont know if camera display works or not (but it doesnt matter for pix4d anyway as its mapping)

I would definitely keep it for a back up I have a smart controller but it was down through the whole summer I went through two motherboards , it can have issues is all I’m saying and I would hate to be without a controller

Reactions: Thomas B
I just purchased a slightly used standard controller. For now, I'll just use my iPhone 8+ which is what I was trying to avoid. Now I will have a backup.
Now, I just need to start offsetting at least some of the costs with a few gigs. After I get all of the camera settings straight in my head.

An unpopular benefit of the standard controller is the ability to link 2 of them to one AC for guided practice flying. Also the transmission distance is greater than the SC.

Whenever I try using Pix4D on the SC it does not connect correctly, stating it needs permissions granted. Ive searched into settings and made the changes but I'm still getting that message. As a result I cannot see the camera view on Pix4D, only on DJIGo4. Also loading up the software takes a considerable amount of time and runs laggy. Any advice?
I actually get better range on my SC than the standard controller, was pleasantly suprised by that.

I can give you one reason to keep the original controller. I run an M2P with the Smart Controller and I diagnose flights with Airdata, but DJI’s Android software doesn’t relay battery temps. If I want to see those I have to fly with the original controller and an iOS device. DJI has had complaints about this for at least two years. Just a thought for your consideration.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut