DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s So I was crossing these railway tracks... (Alberta, Canada)

I've looked for freight train tracking information and have found nothing in the US. Amtrak has live tracking for their passenger service.

It's odd that you can find very precise real-time tracking information for commercial airplanes and ships, but not for freight trains.
I have been thinking the same thing. I've got a railroad bridge over a major waterway near me. The RR bridge carries Amtrak, freight trains and (I think) a little commuter rail. The RR bridge opens often to allow tall marine traffic to pass through below. I would expect that the bridge openings and train crossings are all scheduled, and that the schedule would be made available somewhere. I've yet to find any resources listing regularly scheduled trains or bridge openings.

I suppose I could find the daily Amtrak schedule and extrapolate from the arrival/departure times, but as you say...so much other scheduled transportation info is so easily available online, it seems odd that rail schedules are so hard to find.

Reactions: DanJ
Lovely shot, thanks for sharing. Now, can you be there around the same hour...and catch a train coming towards you, too...that would be awesome.

That reminds me...I have some railroad tracks near my home. I'd love to be there to get a shot as a train goes by, but would rather avoid sitting there for hours waiting for that opportunity...

Does anyone know if there is an online source to lookup train schedules for a specific set of tracks or location? It would sure make it a lot easier to "be there at the right time."
I’d assume freight schedules or train locations are something homeland security doesn’t want too readily available. However I think freights use GPS for the transportation systems to track them so it may still be accessible with some digging 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: DanJ
Awesome shot.
Is this as the drone took it or did you do any post processing? I have the Air2S and will probably never catch a shot like that.
Thanks for sharing
This is post processed. It's not very often that photos come out from the drone or the camera exactly the way that I want them.
Taking the picture is only the first part of the creative process for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Olga