DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So is litchi working now?

FLJeff

Reactions
So is the current ios Litchi functioning correctly with the latest firmwares ? I've purchased it and have been programming little loops around my local area but am a little nervous, is my mp going to fly away never to be seen again? Also as long as I have you, how accurate would you say the time/distance/speed estimates are? +- 10%, 15% ? Assuming 5kt or less winds. tia

I'd say set a quick flight maybe waypoint mission and see if the results are on par. Just calibrate calibrate calibrate! Let us know how it turns out. I too have purchased the Litchi and AutoPilot, but have yet to fly with those apps. Honestly the DJI GO works fine for me and provides a bit of assurance of quality control.

For the first time, fly your mission with your finger on the sport mode switch, just to be sure.

Reactions: Brojon
I'd say set a quick flight maybe waypoint mission and see if the results are on par. Just calibrate calibrate calibrate! Let us know how it turns out. I too have purchased the Litchi and AutoPilot, but have yet to fly with those apps. Honestly the DJI GO works fine for me and provides a bit of assurance of quality control.

Have you played with the waypoint route creation, either on the app or web or both? If this works the way it looks like I should be able to rise above my tree infested neighborhood and fly out on a mission to check out a geographic feature a mile away, swing around it, do all kinds of things, then return to my first waypoint above my launch point, then I should be able to just descend and done :) I saw a video the guy set his route and once the route started he turned off his rc and phone and then waited for the drone to return, it flew the entire route with zero control communication. To me if that really works it opens up a host of possible "missions" - It will allow me to focus more on the creative side :) so thanks for the inputs - I'm going to take it slow the first few flights, try to keep the mavic over dry accessible lands just in case I have to go find it. I'm on an iPhone 7 as well but my mini4 is coming soon, I'm going to dedicate it to the mp and am really hoping this works the way I described.

Reactions: Mavic Schwa
@FLJeff, yes, it really works. I've been using Litchi for 6 months, have flown dozens and dozens of missions, many of them disconnected for a time from the RC (not on purpose, just the nature of a portion of the mission). I've never had a problem that I didn't cause myself.

One thing to keep in mind however is some of the functionality is limited when the aircraft is disconnected from the app. Speed and gimbal tilt angle changes at waypoints don't work -- the automation engine in the Mavic doesn't support these parameters. Also, waypoint actions require a connection. So when planning a mission, keep these limitations in mind for waypoints that are outside the radio range of the RC.

Have you played with the waypoint route creation, either on the app or web or both? If this works the way it looks like I should be able to rise above my tree infested neighborhood and fly out on a mission to check out a geographic feature a mile away, swing around it, do all kinds of things, then return to my first waypoint above my launch point, then I should be able to just descend and done :) I saw a video the guy set his route and once the route started he turned off his rc and phone and then waited for the drone to return, it flew the entire route with zero control communication. To me if that really works it opens up a host of possible "missions" - It will allow me to focus more on the creative side :) so thanks for the inputs - I'm going to take it slow the first few flights, try to keep the mavic over dry accessible lands just in case I have to go find it. I'm on an iPhone 7 as well but my mini4 is coming soon, I'm going to dedicate it to the mp and am really hoping this works the way I described.

Never tried with the MP. If not mistaken both Litchi and AP have an option for RC connection loss to continue mission. I've only done WP missions using my BEBOP 1&2 and on FreeFlight Pro. I am hoping litchi and AP work as flawlessly as FFP did.

@FLJeff, yes, it really works. I've been using Litchi for 6 months, have flown dozens and dozens of missions, many of them disconnected for a time from the RC (not on purpose, just the nature of a portion of the mission). I've never had a problem that I didn't cause myself.

One thing to keep in mind however is some of the functionality is limited when the aircraft is disconnected from the app. Speed and gimbal tilt angle changes at waypoints don't work -- the automation engine in the Mavic doesn't support these parameters. Also, waypoint actions require a connection. So when planning a mission, keep these limitations in mind for waypoints that are outside the radio range of the RC.
How does disconnected affect things like height changes at waypoints? Being in a hilly area the terrain here tends to change a bit - a couple of times it has surprised me - so I fly a little higher than I think I need.

How does disconnected affect things like height changes at waypoints? Being in a hilly area the terrain here tends to change a bit - a couple of times it has surprised me - so I fly a little higher than I think I need.
You can switch ur phone off midflight and it will fly no prob. The app in no way controls the drone. It's only a screen to view the FPV on. The RC controller controls the drone

How does disconnected affect things like height changes at waypoints?
Waypoints Co-ords and their heights form part of the basic DJI 3D flight plan that is uploaded to the aircraft, prior to a mission commencing. For this reason height changes at waypoints will not be effected by a disconnect. Heading Mode and finish action will stick through signal loss as well. However most other actions require the aircraft to be connected for them to occur. WPT actions and programmed changes to heading gimbal or speed will fail to occur. If the RC remains connected without the Litchi app app running (ie phone turned off) various other litchi features will stop working.
The main thing to know though is height changes will occur after a disconnect, so a well planned mission will retain terrain clearance.

yes I use Litchi with VR goggles wouldn't want to fly any other way. I have to delete goapp4 {latest firmware} or keep it in seperate part of phone then Litchi works.
USB debugging should be off
put in airplane mode
no battery saving on phone
close all other apps
hologram off in camera setting in litchi
don't use screen recording as can affect
for sport mode to work it needs to be activated in goapp4
hope this helps it has for me as I did have problems
Simon in Spain

Last edited:
As far as I know the situation is officially still this one :
With the current versions of Litchi (iOS 1.16.12 and Android 3.10.10), if you update to the latest DJI firmware for Mavic Pro (v01.03.0800), Phantom 4 Pro (v01.04.0602) or Phantom 4 Advanced (v01.00.0128) you will be required to log in in DJI Go to unlock the new altitude and distance limitations both for DJI Go and Litchi. The upcoming Litchi versions will automatically unlock the restrictions without having to log in in DJI Go except if you fly in China (in which case log in with DJI Go will still be required but can be done within Litchi).

Do the other WP setting actions like Stay for x sec, Take photo, Start/Stop recording, Tilt Gimbal , & Pano all work for you disconnected too?

works fine for me Litchi with new goapp4 firmware, no interference from goapp4
when you upgrade goapp4 you don't have to download NFZ maps if you don't want to, I ticked no and installed fine.
turn off any power saving on phone
turn off usb debugging if it was on
close all other apps
avoid screen recorders as definitely caused app crashes for me
use a phone with some power 3gb and large internal if possible like 64 gb xioami note 4 ideal at 200 euros
delete go app or put in separate part of phone which you can with xioami phones
holographic setting should be off in camera in app settings within Litchi
fly away from any interference and cables , buildings, etc
put in airplane mode after caching maps, turns off data and wifi
good signal now!

works fine for me Litchi with new goapp4 firmware
turn off any power saving on phone
turn off usb debugging if it was on
close all other apps
avoid screen recorders as definitely caused app crashes for me
use a phone with some power 3gb and large internal if possible like 64 gb xioami note 4 ideal at 200 euros
delete go app or put in seeerate part of phone which you can with xioami phones
holographic setting should be off in camera in app settings within Litchi
fly away from any interference and cables , buildings, etc
put in airplane mode after caching maps, turns off data and wifi
good signal now!

Reactions: Bugbitten
Do the other WP setting actions like Stay for x sec, Take photo, Start/Stop recording, Tilt Gimbal , & Pano all work for you disconnected too?
No, at least not for the P4. I'd be shocked if the Mavic behaved less capably.

Here's a mission where my heading changes while in a valley on the other side of a ridge from me. Heading changes occur as programmed, gimbal angles and speed changes don't.

Watch in particular starting at 2:43; I'm on the other side of the ridge to the right, disconnected, no signal indicator at all in Litchi:

Now, if I'd been connected, the gimbal would have also tilted down as the P4 passed by the POI that 3 waypoints were using in "Focus POI" mode. However, because it was disconnected, the POI was below center frame as the gimbal kept pointing at a higher angle.

No, at least not for the P4. I'd be shocked if the Mavic behaved less capably.

Here's a mission where my heading changes while in a valley on the other side of a ridge from me. Heading changes occur as programmed, gimbal angles and speed changes don't...

I see. I think you have been confusing Waypoint Actions to which I was referring with Mission Settings.
You appear to be flying curved turns therefor as per the manual, "Waypoint actions are ignored when the mission "Path Mode" is "Curved Turns" as the aircraft will not stop at waypoints then". So therefor you cannot expect to be able to go into Waypoint x settings and program a heading change to rotate to say 080 degrees at wpt x.

What I believe is driving your heading change at those waypoints is your Mission heading being set to Custom to allow for focus POI. But it is not being driven by a programmed heading in the Way point Actions > Rotate setting. I think a heading change by this means requires a connection, not to mention Straight Lines.

My Mavic will merrily fly a circuitous route around my farm with the heading changing around corners while disconnected, however it gets this command from my programmed Auto heading mode and not anything programmed in Waypoint actions which cannot occur on a curved path.

Nice country side BTW.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mupps64