DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So much glare, I can't see the screen...

Qoncussion

Reactions
So I've been flying using my Nexus 6P, and there is so much glare on the screen that I can barely see where I'm flying. Sometimes, I truly cannot see the screen. I also tried my older LG-G2 with the same results. I've ordered a sun hood for the phone, but so much of the glare comes from the reflections of objects behind me, and not so much from direct sunlight hitting the screen,which I'm able to block with my body,just by turning around a bit.

Does anyone know of a good anti-glare screen protector, or other options which don't include stepping into shade (as that is not always an option)?

I am looking for options that you have tried, which actually work, and not just a link to an general Amazon search. Thanks!

Hmm. 'tis a conundrum, as they say.
On the one hand, you have to keep your eye on the drone itself, so you can only glance down for a split second to check all's well before you have to look up at your drone again. Pros or people who fly a lot will have a VO (visual observer) whose job it is to keep an eye on the drone during those critical seconds when the operator's eye is down on the screen and off the drone. Typically that VO will have a pair of binocs or similar handy just in case they need to search for the drone itself.

Alternatively, they will have a second camera operator whose job it is to mainly look at the screen, and also call out if the battery's looking low, the drone's getting too far away, etc.

If you're flying legally on your own, though, you have to glance down and be able to get all the info you need from the screen in under a second. That means you really can't get a good look at what you're shooting, unless you park the drone in the air, then adjust your camera or admire its view, then find the drone again, hopefully still hovering where you left it.

What this means in practice is that you have to kinda sorta remember where all your data is on the iPhone and be able to get that information, glare or not, quickly and positively. That's practice. Where is the battery level? The orientation? Height? Speed? on the iPhone screen. Lastly, it's "what's the picture look like"?

When flying a real aircraft under Visual Flight Rules (not flying by instrument, i.e.), we're taught that we must multi-task between looking outside and around the aircraft we're in, scanning the instrument panel to check that all's well, and then operating the radios plus checking your charts (maps) and / or your GPS, doing the visual tour approx. once a minute, on average. That's a lot of eye movement. Then, when advised that there's other traffic in the area, one must quickly scan the sky, and report that one either has the traffic in sight, or not.

So it is, that when operating a drone with a camera, it's much the same procedure. Mostly look at the drone. Then once in a while glance down at the screen. If it's glared, no matter, catch it next time.

Of course, taking off into the wind and away from the sun helps you see the drone, but it sucks for the screen reflection. So yes, it's a compromise. My drone ops are usually two person flights, the camera operator has 3D goggles running Litchi in stereo vision - we tried the head tracking and it worked well, but totally disoriented my camera operator. We also tried it the old-fashioned photographer's way - a piece of Duvotene black cloth, thrown over her head and behind her, and the front of it covering the top and sides of the screen. That works as well, but isn't so fashionable, let's just say.

Perhaps a good compromise is a long hood that tapers down near the eyes, so it's a dark rectangular funnel that has a decent amount of eye relief and space, and that's matte black inside. That way, glancing down into the tube will yield a glare-less image every time.

The fact remains, glare or not, that if you start watching the screen while you're flying, or checking the shot you're taking, or your map, altitude, whatever, for more time than you're watching the actual drone itself, then you have effectively stopped flying the machine in VLOS (visual line of sight) and are thus flying illegally.

Flying safely first, photos/videos second.
Always.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogue Wave
The fact remains, glare or not, that if you start watching the screen while you're flying, or checking the shot you're taking, or your map, altitude, whatever, for more time than you're watching the actual drone itself, then you have effectively stopped flying the machine in VLOS (visual line of sight) and are thus flying illegally.

Flying safely first, photos/videos second.
Always.
Oh my, I really hope that you are kidding with this post...? I don't need a safety lesson, nor was one warranted here. I shoot video and photos. I need to be able to compose my shots, but can't - if I can't see the screen. How did such a simple question get turned into a drone police action? Sorry man, but your post is way off base. Do you have anything helpful to offer with regards to answering my question?

Anyone else wanna take a shot at this very simple and straightforward question?

Kevin, build and use a hood.
That's in my post.

Sorry for that, didn't know what level of a flyer you are, so did a catch-all reply. My bad!

Reactions: roflyer
Throw your jacket over your head and device.
Funny (but true) - That is basically what I had to do yesterday, while trying to frame a shot. I am guessing that others have had this problem, and was hoping that someone may have devised a solution. Fingers crossed...

LOL! Done both, have essentially what amounts to black-out blinds in the back of my truck now. So just sit with that truck in back, and the glare goes away. Problem is, I can't always get the truck parked in the right spot, and usually if I can see well enough, it's in the shot...

I am actually thinking about making a foldable black backdrop to hang from a stand behind me. I live in the Sierra Nevada foothills, meaning, I fly over thousands of trees. I launch from an abandoned air strip atop one of the highest points around. But flying blind around so many trees is going to cost me dearly some day when I look down at my screen and all I see is a crystal clear image of the terrain behind me reflecting off of the screen. :p

Yikes!
Sierra Foothills... It's pretty bad down here on a hot day in LA, but up there...
Well if that black backdrop has any light falling on it, well all you'll see is the light falling on the black backdrop, I'm afraid.

In your situation I'd be thinking to get one of those safari caps with the cloth going down the back and sides. That would at least stop some of the glare coming in from behind, and not be so heinous to set up and put away after. Maybe add a part of a target shooting cap? You know the ones with the long bill and side flaps?

http://198.154.244.69/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/NE-Regionals-shootoff-and-awards-008.jpg

Reactions: Johann-Mavic
Hello Qoncussion,
I had this same screen glare problem here in Arizona. My solution was to spend about $77.00 for a Hoodman Monitor Hood.( Hoodman USA - HOME Page) This was cheap compared to the $900 - $1,000 purchase of a ipad pro 9.7"
and $75.99 for a MavMount to be able to see the app and camera clearly. These were added to my long list of Mavic Pro accessories after I figured out that my $900 Google Pixel XL was going to keep freezing / crashing! Go Figure and Good Luck! I guess you can say IM not that happy with how much time and money I have invested into my "Mavic Pro. Hope this helps with your sun glare problem. o_O

Hello Qoncussion,
I had this same screen glare problem here in Arizona. My solution was to spend about $77.00 for a Hoodman Monitor Hood.( Hoodman USA - HOME Page)...
I've been looking at the Hoodman products - as they are the only things that come close to what I need.

I'm waiting for the Crystal Sky monitor to be released by DJI.
Supposed to be coming soon, but when?
Nice and bright in bright sunshine!
Any idea what they'll be charging for these?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukrze