DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So, who gets the support on this one? Opinions please.

dgc4rter

Reactions
Posted a video a few months ago on YouTube of a flight I took around an abandoned lighthouse in Cornwall. The drone wasn't mine, it was a friend's but he'd asked me to fly it for him at the time as he was on medication that affected his ability to use the controller properly. Date of the flight - around July last year.

Now, I've just received a number of comments from a guy very aptly calling himself "Droner Moaner". Here's the link

Just interested in people's opinion on this one. Part of me is saying I should heed what the guy is saying and part of me is saying "what a prize pr 1 ck!".

I don't see the link for his comments

It's because the forum has converted the youtube link to an embedded video, if you click to play the video then click the Youtube button at the bottom right of the player it will open the video on the Youtube site and you can see the comments. To save some time, this is the gist of it:

David Carter ahhhhhhhh only asking as the entire coastal area from St Ives round to Portreath, including Godrevy Island belongs to National Trust and is private land which contravenes the CAA regulations of taking of and landing from private land without the owners consent (National Trust have recinded permission for drones to be on their property) and was wondering whom you got permission off......remember just because DJI doesn't show it as a no fly zone doesn't mean it is......... did you check noflydrones.com or the National Trust land map as I know it shows on there. Just thought I would give a fellow droner the heads up as Devon and Cornwall police are looking into CAA regulation infringements and taking action where nessicary and will use YouTube videos as evidence. Also Enhanced Warning Area asks......."Do you have permission to fly from and in this area" (I have a P4P and am a licensed drone pilot) and you have to check it of which logs with the drone....... just a heads up as a lot don't know the National Trust or English Heritage rules on drones.

Reading the National Trust site, I'm not sure the YT poster is correct - they seem to be saying the flight is illegal due National Trust sites having people and the CAA have deemed it illegal to fly it over people but clearly there's no people here:

Flying drones at our places

• We do not grant permission for private flying for the following reasons;-
  • CAA regulations state that drones should not be flown above or near to people. As our properties often have staff living or working on site, visitors present or have open access, unauthorised drone flying is both illegal and potentially puts people at risk.
  • Few non-commercial users have the correct training or permission from the Civil Aviation Authority to operate drones.
  • If a drone causes damage or harm, pilots generally do not have the correct insurances, or level of insurances, to adequately compensate those affected.
  • Some sites may have wildlife or agricultural animals, or animals which are sensitive to disturbance, such as birds and deer herds, which could be alarmed or stressed by the presence of drones, especially at breeding times.
  • Many drones have cameras attached and these could infringe data protection laws (filming people without permission) and potentially could contravene National Trust rules on commercial photography and filming.
  • The presence of drones can impinge on the quiet enjoyment of our sites by other visitors and therefore potentially presents a public nuisance risk.

I'm not convinced it is an illegal flight as the guy is claiming and there's plenty of definitely illegal flights out there if that's what floats the guys boat but with such a 'pleasant' attitude and username I don't think he's going to make much progress on his crusade.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: dewster
I would ignore him. Also, it's none of his business where you took off from, you should of told him you took off from a boat.

Reactions: b17raymo
agreed u can not take off or land in a national park area or national trust but you can fly in its airspace coz it is not its airspace. Now personally i would be polite at first and respond politely. next time i will tell him in stronger words that you have explained your position. third time i will tell him where to stick his comments as long as you believe that where you flew and how you flew was not endangering anyone or anything. (which you did not as all seems to have gone well) also u can fly over people in fact you can fly over 999 people) what you cant do is take off and land wityhin 50 metres of a person not under your control.

i wonder how many people actually stick to that rule oh let me get my tape measure out and make sure i am 50m from any person.

no one has ever ever complained about me launching or landing within ten feet of them as long as i am shielding the drone, and on landing if someone is coming i do not hover 50 feet away, i hover maybe 15 feet away and 30 high till they pass, mostly they will stop and watch, and i have to ask them to politely step to one side as i want to land on the path not the three foot long grass.
i even have to ask them sometimes to stop their children running after the drone if i fly to land away from them.

I have to explain the dangers to them, not them to me.

I like the part of the comment of not having any friends. Not saying i have a lot or my videos have a lot of views but almost all his have under 20 some only 5. one only one and i think that was me! Probably most of the views was himself watching his own video. so one could conclude you are correct. i dont know whats the big deal?

Last edited:
Unfortunately the "national trust" in the UK have acquired vast tracts of land in the UK including thousands of miles of coastline. Ostensibly to preserve it but in reality most of the land isn't touched.
They have banned drones over *ALL* of their land and properties making huge chunks of the UK theoretical no-go zones. They also make large amounts of money selling people pictures taken with their own drones.
They've done a similar thing banning all commercial photography on those lands so taking a photo of a 2 million year old, untouched rock and selling it is now illegal. They went after several stock sites demanding tens of thousands of images were removed a few years back.

NT also have a habit of buying up public land and charging for previously free car parks whilst restricting public access to that same land. The organisation as a whole has a reputation for bullying.

There is some debate about whether the ban on *overflight* is illegal or not. There MAY be a legal decree meaning they have the right to do this but to date they've never provided it when asked. Launch and landing on the land is banned though.
They claim its for "safety" but in reality the risk of someone flying a drone over a massive wilderness, lacking in any people are nil.

FWIW pretty much all castles in the UK have the same ban along with other historic buildings and landmarks.

You MAY be inside the CAA mandated 50m from property on the video but its hard to tell and if so, not by much.

So the guy is potentially right (albeit an arsehole). If you launched from or flew over national trust land you could well be operating illegally. The fact the NT is a fairly odious body unfortunately has nothing to do with the legality.
Looking on ( Follow the history of our places with Land Map ) they do seem to own the beach, cliffs and inland for many miles around that area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Masheen
agreed u can not take off or land in a national park area or national trust but you can fly in its airspace coz it is not its airspace.

Not true. English Common Law has a defined "Lower Stratum" of airspace as defined by the civil aviation act 1982 which can in theory grant permission for a land owner to ban overflight below 500ft. The NT is a funny body - it has power of bylaw and common law that other private entities do not. That said, the £20 fine and £2 a day after that makes it almost worth doing just to irritate them.

Reactions: BigEegit
In England there is a Public Right of Way across most areas.
This is common ground so you could take off from there.
Also anything below the high tide mark is common ground, I forget the name for it but below high tide cannot be closed off from the public.
Walk down the beach at low tide and you are good to go, just watch out for the tide turning.

Two suggestions for you: 1. Slow down your yaw and pitch speeds. 2. Next time you see a nice, sunny day on the Cornish coast, take your Phantom out and enjoy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique