DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So, you don't trust RTH?

Yep - seen this report via The Register and there are some interesting comments from people in the aerospace field as to the implications et

I trust RTH but always keep an eye on things to make sure it’s going right. If it looks a bit squiffy I will ‘take back control’ (UK political joke :) ).

I totally trust RTH when correctly logged and I use it all the time, so far without a glitch. I do keep my thumb on the controller's pause button however, because I enjoy doing my own landings. Love my pause button.
RTH is very handy for bringing it back. But for the final approach I tend to utilize manual control. Sometime if the precision landing was not completely registered it might be a little off. Having a landing pad though, seems to help with that.

Did you guys click the link?

Never had a problem with RTH, always make sure it registers the correct location after take off and then go fly. RTH has come in handy more than once for me and always lands within a couple of inches from take off spot. :)

Reactions: hermitdog
Never had a problem with RTH, always make sure it registers the correct location after take off and then go fly. RTH has come in handy more than once for me and always lands within a couple of inches from take off spot. :)

This post was meant to show that no matter what precautions you take, anything can happen at anytime. It's not just about RTH... PLEASE click the link from my original post.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/28/asia/lion-air-preliminary-report-intl/index.html

Yes I watched it and followed the story as it unfolded. Guess their autopilot wasn't programed for every scenario, was it?
That's why we watch our drone, monitor and keep a thumb on the pause button which instantly cancels RTH.
The hard one to fight is low battery RTH. You can't cancel that. I wrestled with that a few times in the beginning, but no more. I keep the tank full and come back early. I'm not a fan of nerve-racking events.

Yes I watched it and followed the story as it unfolded. Guess their autopilot wasn't programed for every scenario, was it?
That's why we watch our drone, monitor and keep a thumb on the pause button which instantly cancels RTH.
The hard one to fight is low battery RTH. You can't cancel that. I wrestled with that a few times in the beginning, but no more. I keep the tank full and come back early. I'm not a fan of nerve-racking events.

Exactly, you can't fully trust all the sensors, and electronics 100% of the time. Don't get me wrong, I have used RTH many times with no issues and love my MP PRO. Just wanted to send the point that, the electronics, firmware and software can all act up out of the blue, so be aware and have a Plan B in your head.

Reactions: RFaust
Yes, but I don't think the analogy to RTH is that close. I guess it was all meant as a joke.
I think I closer analogy maybe one based on a previous experience I had with a different drone that got confused with the ground facing sensor. As I came in to land, about 20 feet above ground level, it suddenly reduced its prop speeds (battery level was still good), causing it to hit quite hard, cracking the bezel for the sensor. I think the sensor thought ground level was higher than the real value. Perhaps there was some dust on the sensor, or the ground surface was confusing it (hot day on a gravel road).

Reactions: JimP Florida
Exactly, you can't fully trust all the sensors, and electronics 100% of the time. Don't get me wrong, I have used RTH many times with no issues and love my MP PRO. Just wanted to send the point that, the electronics, firmware and software can all act up out of the blue, so be aware and have a Plan B in your head.

Yes, I totally agree that you can't depend or trust electronics 100% of the time. My computers over the years have taught me that, especially after an update you have to keep an eye on things the first bit.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Yes, I totally agree that you can't depend or trust electronics 100% of the time. My computers over the years have taught me that, especially after an update you have to keep an eye on things the first bit.

After an update, I usually do a manual take off under A LOT of trees in case it takes off...ha. I figure the branches will keep it in VLOS... Ha again.:D

Yep - seen this report via The Register and there are some interesting comments from people in the aerospace field as to the implications et

I trust RTH but always keep an eye on things to make sure it’s going right. If it looks a bit squiffy I will ‘take back control’ (UK political joke :) ).
RTH is a lifesaver for a lot of situations but I still prefer landing my bird manually whenever possible. But if you’re ever beyond VLOS and something happens then RTH can be a very valuable tool to retrieve your A/C and get it home safely.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Wow @Cheech Wizard - didn't that go off at a tangent! (a Post fly-away!).
Just wanted to pick one positive thing out of the crash report ... It's so valuable to share advice and experience as that can be hugely helpful in preventing somebody else's misfortune. If the pilots the day before, had beat the drums about the MCAS going AWOL and how just simply turning it off got them their get-out-of-jail card - there'd be 189 people home for Christmas ... Same for us here in this forum, there has been so much good advice shared so freely. Nothing like the consequences of Lion Air 610 of course, it's just an unmanned Drone - but it's my unmanned Drone - and I feel a lot more comfortable flying it with all this advice and experience with me ...

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25