DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SO: You MIGHT not need to register your MM with the FAA... but do you know the rules??!

CactusJackSlade

Reactions
My concern about a "performance" or "travel" drone under 250g is that people buy it because it does not need to be registered with the FAA they will not take the time to know the RULES... or worst yet believe that the basic rules to not apply to drones under 250g.

Please, especially if you are new to this, hit up the FAA page and read about the basic rules you must follow, regardless of whether your drone needs to be registered or not:

FAA UAS flight rules

My concern about a "performance" or "travel" drone under 250g is that people buy it because it does not need to be registered with the FAA they will not take the time to know the RULES... or worst yet believe that the basic rules to not apply to drones under 250g.

Please, especially if you are new to this, hit up the FAA page and read about the basic rules you must follow, regardless of whether your drone needs to be registered or not:

FAA UAS flight rules

...exactly, guess most people thinks that usual laws and regulations doesn't apply to MM ...WRONG!

A major factor in why people think this is because its true in Canada. It’s probably the one and only situation where Canadian laws are less restrictive than the US

...exactly, guess most people thinks that usual laws and regulations doesn't apply to MM ...WRONG!
Really just one main rule for most.....hobbyist and 250g or less and just using for pleasure no registration required, using for business to make money must registe....no?

Really just one main rule for most.....hobbyist and 250g or less and just using for pleasure no registration required, using for business to make money must registe....no?

its not just about registering, its about rules which are valid in most countries for any kind of UAV such as no-fly zones, max altitude 120m VLOS, flying over crowds etc

So. What’s so different about the MM ? I mean there probably is about 1000 or more under 249 gram drones So why all of a sudden the concern? Not being mean. Just trying to figure out what’s new to raise concern now. If you think about it, I can see about 50% of new owners on the new mavic mini will destroyed on the first battery. Lol

Sub 250gr and Recreational - No registration "required".
Sub 250gr and anything but recreational registration IS REQUIRED.

What I find funny is that people who already have a Hobby Registration in their name have to do NOTHING but put that # on the aircraft because HOBBY registration is tied to the person not the aircraft.

So. What’s so different about the MM ? I mean there probably is about 1000 or more under 249 gram drones So why all of a sudden the concern? Not being mean. Just trying to figure out what’s new to raise concern now. If you think about it, I can see about 50% of new owners on the new mavic mini will destroyed on the first battery. Lol

It comes from the fact that it's a mini version of a very popular and capable sUAS as opposed to literally being a cheap toy sUAS. Getting "some" of DJI's ease of flight, stable operations, and above average imaging ability into a sub-250g airframe gets a lot of people "giddy".

I for one don't see the allure but that's just me being an old fart LOL. If it lights your fuse and fills a need then go for it.

It is rather perplexing that a seemingly vast number of MM new owners think there is NO registration requirement at all, and they seemingly also believe they are totally exempt from FAA rules.

The MM has, in my opinion, the potential to truly give the drone user populace a black eye!

Granted, there are many, many sub-250s out there already, but the hype place upon the MM may hurt us!

FAA UAS flight rules
Thank you for bringing up that VERY IMPORTANT point...be smart fly safe!

It is rather perplexing that a seemingly vast number of MM new owners think there is NO registration requirement at all, and they seemingly also believe they are totally exempt from FAA rules.

The MM has, in my opinion, the potential to truly give the drone user populace a black eye!

Granted, there are many, many sub-250s out there already, but the hype place upon the MM may hurt us!

As a commercial operator that is my worry as well

Reactions: Classic flyer

BINGO!

Most of the sub 250g units don't have any real stabilization, no GPS guidance, and Mickey Mouse optics. The MM is the first affordable and "Popular" unit in that size range that has the potential to be used widely and is ridiculously easy to fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078