DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So you want to come to Canada and fly?

paul242

Reactions
Reading through some of Transport Canada's pages, I came across this today. I wasn't aware and wanted to highlight this for anyone thinking of heading this way.

If you are a foreign operator (that is, you are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a corporation incorporated by or under federal or provincial and you want to fly in Canadian airspace), you must have an approved SFOC to fly a drone for any purpose (recreational, work or research).

You must already be allowed to use the drone for the same purpose in your home country. Include your country’s approval or authorization with your application for the SFOC.

So will having a FAA Part 107 in the US allow for easier permission/exemption to fly in CA?

So will having a FAA Part 107 in the US allow for easier permission/exemption to fly in CA?
I couldn't tell you. I would assume so, as you've already have a proven level of certification, but who knows how Aviation Authorities think? It sounds over the top from Transport Canada to me.

I live on the Canadian border, so explored this possibility a while ago. It seems the main roadblock might be having to plan what you want to shoot far enough in advance. I asked how long it might take to get an SFOC approved. It took them a month to answer that question, which didn't inspire confidence. (Their answer: we don't know.)

Yeah, it's all well and good having these procedures in place, but if the execution is slow and laborious, (not that they care), it just pushes people to not bother to do the right thing. You would expect better co-operation between the US and Canada over drone operations. At least for me to come to the US to fly, all I need to do is register my drone with the FAA. (Obviously abide by all the regulations as well!)

Yeah, it's all well and good having these procedures in place, but if the execution is slow and laborious, (not that they care), it just pushes people to not bother to do the right thing. You would expect better co-operation between the US and Canada over drone operations. At least for me to come to the US to fly, all I need to do is register my drone with the FAA. (Obviously abide by all the regulations as well!)

Is this really all you have to do? I'm from Canada and I'm going on vacation to Hawaii next month and I've paid $5 and registered on the FAA website but I keep seeing references to a knowledge and safety test although there doesn't appear to be any links to take the test online.

Is this really all you have to do? I'm from Canada and I'm going on vacation to Hawaii next month and I've paid $5 and registered on the FAA website but I keep seeing references to a knowledge and safety test although there doesn't appear to be any links to take the test online.
Coming soon... stay tuned!

Yes, that’s all you need so far. And no mai tais within eight hours of flying either. ;)

From the FAA: “The law requires that flyers of recreational drones pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test. The test will demonstrate a recreational flyer's understanding of aeronautical safety knowledge and rules for operating a UAS. The FAA is developing the test content and the training in consultation with stakeholders.” Sep 17, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost