DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Soft spots in mavic air footage

Staz_00

Reactions
I've searched MavicPilots for any threads related to softness in video footage with the Mavic Air but I think all I can find (at least the top ones) are all related to the MPP.

Anyway, I think I need a second (even more) set of eyes to confirm that my eyes are not tricking me. I recorded a video on the weekend and noticed some softness around the centre-top-right area of my footage, more so than the other areas. I uploaded for you guys a RAW 4K footage straight out of my Air to see.

I've read in other forums that there are also issues regarding this but I would like others to confirm before I bring it in to the shop and get a replacement.

Can you guys please confirm? In the video file below, around the 30 second mark, there seems to be a really soft spot around the centre right area, more so than the other side.

Here's the link
Dropbox - DJI_0031.MOV

I think it just happens in low light areas. It seems to be typical so I doubt getting a replacement would solve the issue.

To me it also looks like the entire right side is out of focus/blurry! The difference with the left side is huge IMO.
A pity you did not pan slowly to either side to see what happens with the sharpness in the left/right side. I would return it for a replacement.

Still trying to wrap my head around how infinity focus works but I suspect it uses the light coming into the sensor to adjust focus somehow. Every time I see a soft focus video, it's usually in the dark areas.

There is no focus, the Air - like Spark - has a fixed focus lens which is set during production (a few meters until infinity). It looks like the lens was not aligned correctly on your unit.
I would really consider returning it, the blurryness is more extreme than I have seen in most cases.
Díd other videos and photos turn out like this as well?

Last edited:
There is no focus, the Air - like Spark - has a fixed focus lens which is set during production (a few meters until infinity). It looks like the lens was not aligned correctly on your unit.
I would really consider returning it, the blurryness is more extreme than I have seen in most cases.
Díd other videos and photos turn out like this as well?

Upon reviewing other footages taken from my Air, it seems that the whole right side is always out of focus. I didn't notice it at first but it seems to be quite extreme. Comparing left and right side, its quite apparent that the left side is more sharp than the right

Still trying to wrap my head around how infinity focus works but I suspect it uses the light coming into the sensor to adjust focus somehow. Every time I see a soft focus video, it's usually in the dark areas.

That's fair but the lighting condition I flew in this flight was not really extremely poor. and it is evident from the footage that the right side is blurred compared to the left side.

Curious to know what DJI support has to say on this issue.
I'm pretty confident they will tell you to send it in for repair.

Curious to know what DJI support has to say on this issue.
I'm pretty confident they will tell you to send it in for repair.

I am in contact with them now going back and forth with footage samples so that they can definitively see it. I just recorded another video that shows a more concrete case. (Dropbox - DJI_0042.MOV)

Anyway, I think this would be covered in warranty and I would probably just return it and get a brand new one. I hope the new unit that I am getting doesn't have this issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy007