DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Software for counting birds from Mavic 2 Pro Photos

rcm

Reactions
We are conducting a trial using my M2P to survey difficult to access wetland water bird populations. Does anyone know of software that can be used to semi-automate (or automate) the counting?

We are conducting a trial using my M2P to survey difficult to access wetland water bird populations. Does anyone know of software that can be used to semi-automate (or automate) the counting?
Sorry forgot to mention - this is Windows software to use on downloaded images. Thanks

Thanks - looks good, so will play with it!

Let me know if I am wrong. You are looking for a user friendly application that you can just drag an image into and it will roughly give you a general idea how many birds are in that image correct?

Or are you a developer who knows how to make custom applications and all you really need is an API that is able to identify the difference between a bird and any other type of animal or object and then you can build the custom application you need around that API?

Hey @Stroop, Looking at ImageJ for the first time it seems like it might be able to tell you how many things are in an image but it looks to me like its a far ways away from telling the difference between a tree and a bird would you say that's accurate? I

Let me know if I am wrong. You are looking for a user friendly application that you can just drag an image into and it will roughly give you a general idea how many birds are in that image correct?

Or are you a developer who knows how to make custom applications and all you really need is an API that is able to identify the difference between a bird and any other type of animal or object and then you can build the custom application you need around that API?

Hey @Stroop, Looking at ImageJ for the first time it seems like it might be able to tell you how many things are in an image but it looks to me like its a far ways away from telling the difference between a tree and a bird would you say that's accurate? I
Hi, thanks for your response. I fit into the first category and just want (say within 10% error) an app like ImageJ. So far with birds on water or in flight using the thresholds it seems to be able to distinguish them from the background and 'noise'. But still learning how to use it!

Hi, thanks for your response. I fit into the first category and just want (say within 10% error) an app like ImageJ. So far with birds on water or in flight using the thresholds it seems to be able to distinguish them from the background and 'noise'. But still learning how to use it!

Ok perfect then you are set! Nice work @Stroop Thumbswayup

WHERE MY I ASK ARE YOU CONDUCTING YOUR COUNT? JUST CURIOUS BUT AS A BIRD WATCHER, CHRISTMAS COUNTS WOULD BE A GREAT VENUE TO UTILIZE THIS TECH.

Last edited:
This is getting very interesting. We have a problem with dying junipers in the juniper/pinyon forests of southeastern Utah. It would be very useful to have aerial shots from which a software program could count the number of dying/dead junipers among the live trees.

This is getting very interesting. We have a problem with dying junipers in the juniper/pinyon forests of southeastern Utah. It would be very useful to have aerial shots from which a software program could count the number of dying/dead junipers among the live trees.

Hey @Photo Beaty. I live in Utah and I might be able to help. Could you post some pictures of a live Juniper and then a dead one? I need to see if the difference is great enough that a program could pick it up. This would really be on the cutting edge of machine learning technology.

They do have thermal and near IR cameras for the Mavic and other drones. I wonder if the thermal camera would be a better way to detect the well being of a Juniper tree than an optical camera.

Hey @Photo Beaty. I live in Utah and I might be able to help. Could you post some pictures of a live Juniper and then a dead one? I need to see if the difference is great enough that a program could pick it up. This would really be on the cutting edge of machine learning technology.

They do have thermal and near IR cameras for the Mavic and other drones. I wonder if the thermal camera would be a better way to detect the well being of a Juniper tree than an optical camera.

As IR is used to determine plant life on AG jobs, I would think it may serve your purpose. Check with RMUS (Rocky Mountain Unmanned Systems), tt Jon McBride. He has a lot of experience in this area, and builds custom UAVs for many agencies.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000