DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Software to measure stockpiles and determine topology

BVasily

Reactions
I have seen software in some trade shows that use videos taken by drones and turn into 3D imagery capable of measuring volume-metric data. Anyone have experience or know of software options?

Pix4d and DroneDeploy are the most popular. The apps are free. Agisoft Photoscan is great for non-cloud processing (you can use Pix4d or DroneDeploy to collect images). You'll need ground control for accuracy. There are others such as MapsMadeEasy, Altizure, Precision Flight, etc. WebODM is offering cloud processing now based on credits. They also have an open source solution that works fairly well. Keep in mind that when you start doing this you may be in violation of your state's regulations regarding Land Surveying. At the very least you would require a part 107 certification, if you are in the USA.

Reactions: BVasily
Thanks very much. Good information. Location is private property located in Kingston, Ontario.

Thanks very much. Good information. Location is private property located in Kingston, Ontario.
Your welcome. If you need any assistance let me know. I've done quite a few flights using the Pix4d app in a professional capacity, and although we use Agisoft Photoscan for in-house processing now, I have used the Pix4d cloud service with excellent results. Both Pix4d and DroneDeploy have fully functional trials available for their processing service. After that you can still keep and use the apps for free, but must pay for processing. We are using CAD for volume calculations when necessary (also generating contours in CAD based on the Photoscan DEM/DSM), so I'm not familiar with that particular feature of Pix4d or the DD services, but they both are capable of calculating volumes.

Reactions: BSnider
I don't have a software option for you, but a few years ago I interviewed at a Silicon Valley company called Kespry that does this kind of work using drones and their own software.

I didn't get the job and haven't been following them, but seems they're still around. Here's a link:

Industrial Drones | Drone Software & Analytics | Kespry

Reactions: norman.hicks.35
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zohpar