DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Solar eclipse of June 10, 2021 (Timelapse) film with Mini2

Wide angle lens, lack of an adjustable aperture are the main ones. The small sensor doesn’t help either.

Most drones aren’t good for this kind of photography, better with a DSLR or other land based camera.

Chris

You may have needed a dark filter like a ND1000 or 2000. But it would only captured the sun. Were you in the path of the fire ring? I'm located on the US West Coast - for here any eclipse was done before sunrise.

It looks like it did not go full annular eclipse at your location, but what I think I am seeing is the reflected image of the eclipse on your lens starting at around 0:46 .It seems to have been too cloudy to capture it directly. Very cool all the same. I saw a full eclipse in Mexico back in 94 and one of the things that was interesting is that the trees were projecting thousands of cresent shadows just before and after the eclipse onto the ground, similar to an eclipse shadow box that kids use, but literraly thousands of shadows on the ground.

This morning, I filmed the eclipse with my DJI Mini 2. I produced a video that I speed up 18 times.
I was a little disappointed not to be able to perceive the sun as a disk of fire.
Is it because the Mini 2 has too small a sensor or because I didn't have a filter?

No it was not you fella, just a hyped ‘non event’ that none of us were going to take advantage of. Just enjoy ya flying. Personally I couldn’t see it here in the North of th UK.

This morning, I filmed the eclipse with my DJI Mini 2. I produced a video that I speed up 18 times.
I was a little disappointed not to be able to perceive the sun as a disk of fire.
Is it because the Mini 2 has too small a sensor or because I didn't have a filter?

Saw many good stills in Boston but only from land cameras.I tried to fly closer to the sun but......?

Essentially, you needed a faster shutter speed. If you couldn't get it fast enough, a neutral density filter may have helped. But, even then, it would probably have looked pretty small through the drone camera. You also probably wouldn't have seen much else other than the sun. The rest of the scene would have looked pretty black.

Greetings! Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: archoptical
It's a combination of things - the cloud cover blocks some of the detail and the other problem is that the sun is overexposed and has it's highlights clipped and detail lost.

The 2nd issue could be fixed buy biasing the exposure down a stop or so to avoid clipping the highlights, at the expense of pushing the shadows down into the totally black area.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy