DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

(solved) dealing with glare

They aren't for everyone that's for sure.
First time I was on whites, another pilots and I just went along as a pax, turning the camera in gimbal tracking.
I have the REs now, maybe they're different too.
Still getting comfortable with them.
whites, pax, REs?
I have so much terminology I still need to learn.

I had the same problem with glare when I first started flying over a year ago. I came up with a home made fix . I first bought a screen shade, that helped but didn't stop the glare . I then made a cover for the shade screen out of an old plastic dog clipper case . I cut eye opening and inserted lenses from and old pair of reading glasses. I know it looks corny but it's worked just fine for me . I can go out anytime of the day an fly with no glare .
Yes, I saw that in another thread and even considered trying it myself but honestly I don't know if I could...brilliant, I take it you're an engineer?
It seems there would be a market for these.
Yes, I saw that in another thread and even considered trying it myself but honestly I don't know if I could...brilliant, I take it you're an engineer?
It seems there would be a market for these.

Reactions: mereflyer
They aren't for everyone that's for sure.
First time I was on whites, another pilots and I just went along as a pax, turning the camera in gimbal tracking.
I have the REs now, maybe they're different too.
Still getting comfortable with them.
Hope they’re good for you. I only flew them three times! Got dizzy and thus did not follow thru on knowing what they can do. Old people (me)... can’t take them anywhere! ?

Reactions: mereflyer
The larger size of the MP2 isn't a concern to me, the cost is (but I can save up for a while if it's really worth it).
It seems everyone likes the smart controller...does it naturally have less glare or would I need some kind of hood for it also?
I have the Smart Controller and have never regretted getting it. Makes getting up in the air quick and easy.

Although it is much brighter than a phone screen, I opted to get the Feel World 7" add-on 4k monitor that puts out 2200 nits. Thors Drone World has a setup specifically for attaching it to a Smart Controller. It adds some heft to the kit but I used a lanyard anyways so the added weight does not matter.

The monitor only shows the camera view while the telemetry only shows up on the SC screen. Makes composing photos and videos really nice.

You could try the Smart Controller and see if that solves your glare problem and if so, you are good to go. If, down the road you feel that having a monitor like this is a good idea, you can always add it to your gear. Here's a link to the FeelWorld Monitor:

Reactions: alkaye
Based on all of the research I've seen I definitely prefer the MP2 since the camera is most important to me.
With the MP2 sensor and data gatherting it does I would think one could do some zooming in post without losing too much res.
I just haven't justified the price tag compared to the MA yet (another important factor for this old, fixed income, retired musician)

The Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 actually has the best camera in the DJI consumer range of drones

I opted to get the Feel World 7" add-on 4k monitor that puts out 2200 nits. Thors Drone World has a setup specifically for attaching it to a Smart Controller. It adds some heft to the kit but I used a lanyard anyways so the added weight does not matter.
That appears to be the best of both worlds...and it's reasonably priced!
Thanks very much I have it bookmarked ?

Reactions: alkaye
The Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 actually has the best camera in the DJI consumer range of drones
While I'm not happy about having more research to do I'm happy that there is another option...this is good to know and pushes the decision about the price factor toward more investment...do I settle for a MA (less quality but way less price) or save for what I really want (great images I'll be happy with).
I still have the MM to test for another week or two but I've already decided I have to have 4K and will be comparing the MA, M2P and the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0.
On another topic, how long did it take you guys to get comfortable with your skills as a flyer?
I find myself sticking my tongue out and tilting my head a lot and still going the wrong direction.
I've been a pro drummer since I was a kid so I do have coordination but I feel uncoordinated as hell operating a drone.
Thanks again to all for helping me out...okay, off to do more research!

Hi all, I did a search for glare but couldn't find a definite answer.
My phone is useless as a monitor if the sun hits it at any angle ...
would something like this make a big difference?
Thanks,
Randy
I have the DJI Smart Controller and am totally satisfied with it. I added a protective silicone cover/sun hood like this:

Let me start off by saying...I'm not a phone guy...as in my kids and wife make fun of me because I still use an old Samsung Galaxy 6.
That said, I'd rather spend money on some kind of monitoring system that I can see well than a feature packed, cool phone that I'll only use for monitoring and occasional phone call/text.
I've also thought about goggles but I probably won't be able to really use them until I can fly decently (I have about 30 minutes of flight time thus far).
I think I'm eventually going to be able to fly well enuf to get the slow/smooth aerial shots I'm hoping to get but it looks like I'm going to have to go with something like the Crystal Sky as pricey as they are.
Once again I have to say, I would be totally lost without this forum...thanks!
Randy
I live in the south of Spain which like New Mexico is a very sunny place. I have tried all kinds of phones and tablets plus all types of shades/screens etc but none of them work. In the end I bought the CrystalSky 7.85” Ultra Bright with a 2,000 NIT screen and it is great. It’s the only screen that you can truly see in bright sunlight. The downside apart from the price is that it is old tech and does not work with the Mavic Mini which is a bit of a bummer as I am now flying the Mavic Mini with a crappy cheap 8” tablet.

this works well on my iPhone 11 Pro Max.

I live in the south of Spain which like New Mexico is a very sunny place. I have tried all kinds of phones and tablets plus all types of shades/screens etc but none of them work. In the end I bought the CrystalSky 7.85” Ultra Bright with a 2,000 NIT screen and it is great. It’s the only screen that you can truly see in bright sunlight. The downside apart from the price is that it is old tech and does not work with the Mavic Mini which is a bit of a bummer as I am now flying the Mavic Mini with a crappy cheap 8” tablet.
shame it doesn't work with Mavic

Hi all, I did a search for glare but couldn't find a definite answer.
My phone is useless as a monitor if the sun hits it at any angle ...
would something like this make a big difference?
Thanks,
Randy
So many suggestions, so from a Brit in the UK here's my 10 cents worth on the issue of glare after nearly 3 years of flying a Mavic Pro from different conditions in the UK to South Africa, Indonesia and New Guinea. Firstly, wear wide-brimmed head apparel to assist your vision in dealing with bright sunlight and dark clothing that will reduce reflected glare onto your screen, whether using a phone, tablet or CrystalSky monitor. Search YouTube for a comparison between 5.5" (1000 nits) or 7.85" (2000 nits) Ultrabrite CrystalSky or Smart Controller. Can't remember the poster but the much bigger, bulkier 7.85" one has clearly the brighter, sharper screen.
I've used 2 different types of hoods on the 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 that I started with, the DJI hood, which is OK to a point and doesn't interfere with access to the icons & telemetry on your screen, whereas the Rantow foldable tablet monitor sunshade's method of attachment to my tablet made access to icons around the tablet's edge awkward, though otherwise a decent shading job.
I've no experience of DJI goggles but consider this. You'd have to have a "spotter" with you to make you aware of your drone's position re. Visual Line Of Sight (VLOS), as the complete enclosure of your sight and awareness of your immediate surroundings (apart from the camera view) is nil.
My preferred solution is a pair of Epson Moverio BT-300 HUD smart glasses with a choice of 2 different shades (three if you also purchase the Rochester Optical shades) which can give you the view of almost being in your drone's cockpit, while also keeping it in VLOS and anything around you by looking through, over or under these HUD glasses. No continually checking the image on your phone, looking up & trying to find where the drone is in the sky! It's like seeing the drone's eye view on a 50" TV screen which is 10 feet away. Take a look on YouTube for "Smart Glasses For Drones" posted by Wex Photo. This is my go-to solution which I wouldn't change. Glare, what glare?

So many suggestions, so from a Brit in the UK here's my 10 cents worth on the issue of glare after nearly 3 years of flying a Mavic Pro from different conditions in the UK to South Africa, Indonesia and New Guinea. Firstly, wear wide-brimmed head apparel to assist your vision in dealing with bright sunlight and dark clothing that will reduce reflected glare onto your screen, whether using a phone, tablet or CrystalSky monitor. Search YouTube for a comparison between 5.5" (1000 nits) or 7.85" (2000 nits) Ultrabrite CrystalSky or Smart Controller. Can't remember the poster but the much bigger, bulkier 7.85" one has clearly the brighter, sharper screen.
I've used 2 different types of hoods on the 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 that I started with, the DJI hood, which is OK to a point and doesn't interfere with access to the icons & telemetry on your screen, whereas the Rantow foldable tablet monitor sunshade's method of attachment to my tablet made access to icons around the tablet's edge awkward, though otherwise a decent shading job.
I've no experience of DJI goggles but consider this. You'd have to have a "spotter" with you to make you aware of your drone's position re. Visual Line Of Sight (VLOS), as the complete enclosure of your sight and awareness of your immediate surroundings (apart from the camera view) is nil.
My preferred solution is a pair of Epson Moverio BT-300 HUD smart glasses with a choice of 2 different shades (three if you also purchase the Rochester Optical shades) which can give you the view of almost being in your drone's cockpit, while also keeping it in VLOS and anything around you by looking through, over or under these HUD glasses. No continually checking the image on your phone, looking up & trying to find where the drone is in the sky! It's like seeing the drone's eye view on a 50" TV screen which is 10 feet away. Take a look on YouTube for "Smart Glasses For Drones" posted by Wex Photo. This is my go-to solution which I wouldn't change. Glare, what glare?
Wow, I had no idea something like this was available.
After the initial sticker price shock I watched this and realized they are by far my best solution and well worth the price.
What I really like about them is I can where readers with them (I use 1.25 but this close might need to be higher) and with a brimmed hat should have no more issues with glare.
Sooo, I think I have my answer as to what I should go for so thank you very much!
Thanks to everyone else too, it's great to learn there are so many options.
Randy

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
After the initial sticker price shock I watched this and realized they are by far my best solution and well worth the price.
What I really like about them is I can where readers with them (I use 1.25 but this close might need to be higher) and with a brimmed hat should have no more issues with glare.
Sooo, I think I have my answer as to what I should go for so thank you very much!
Randy

Epson BT-300 will also not work with the DJI Fly app as it's 32bit and Android 5.5

The only hope for us users of these glasses is Litchi being made compatible with the MM after DJI release the MM SDK

To help with the viewing you need to get the Rochester Optical mirror shades, these reduce the amount of light coming in and improves the image brightness.
I wouldn't say the BT-300 will solve all the glare issues but it will help.

You could try the Rochester Optical Solitarie ace enclosure which makes the glasses into googles and blocks out all external light as well.

Rochester have a package deal for the glasses and all the shade accessories

Randy
Thanks for the Ready Set Drone link, one I've not seen. On the glasses issue combined with the Moverio, I had an independent optician make bi-focal lenses for the lens holder that comes with this system, close-up so I can see the screen on the RC (radio controller), with long distance otherwise on the lenses for longer distance viewing. In addition, as per the 3rd guy who wore normal glasses on the post, I got my optician to put an up to date prescription set of lenses into an old pair of frames which fit like a glove inside the Moverio frame as a backup in case of any accident which might break the original lens holder which comes with the system. These normal, every-day glasses can fit by utilising the extra nose pad which also comes as standard for this purpose.
One poster complained that the Moverio doesn't work with the RC1B controller which comes with the Mavic 2 Pro, but if you intend to upgrade one day to that more highly specified DJI bird you should ask for an RC1A controller which I'm told should work OK. There's also an even more highly specified model (BT-35e) which is also available. BTW the system also comes with a set of earphones connecting the glasses to its controller, which means you can hear what the nice young DJI lady tells you such as "Take Off!", "Landing!" or "Maximum Height Reached!"

Epson BT-300 will also not work with the DJI Fly app as it's 32bit and Android 5.5
I wonder what app this guy is using with his MA...maybe I should try to ask him.
I've seen other vids from him and he seems post a lot.
edit...I just asked him which app he's using.

I wonder what app this guy is using with his MA...maybe I should try to ask him.
I've seen other vids from him and he seems post a lot.
edit...I just asked him which app he's using.

The Mavic Air uses DJI Go 4 app, which has been ported to the BT-300 by Epson working with DJI.
DJI Go 4 is a 32bit app that has been modified to support 64bit architecture, so it will work on both 32 or 64bit phones/tablets.
Epson also has it's own flight app that will work with most of the DJI consumer drones except for the Mavic Mini.

With the BT-300 running DJI Go4, you can use the MP, MPP, P4P, Spark, MA, MP2 pro and zoom (with the R1CA controller) etc.
As I mentioned the Mavic Mini is not compatible with the BT-300 because it uses the DJI Fly 64 bit app.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
The Mavic Air uses DJI Go 4 app, which has been ported to the BT-300 by Epson working with DJI.
DJI Go 4 is a 32bit app that has been modified to support 64bit architecture, so it will work on both 32 or 64bit phones/tablets.
Epson also has it's own flight app that will work with most of the DJI consumer drones except for the Mavic Mini.

With the BT-300 running DJI Go4, you can use the MP, MPP, P4P, Spark, MA, MP2 pro and zoom (with the R1CA controller) etc.
As I mentioned the Mavic Mini is not compatible with the BT-300 because it uses the DJI Fly 64 bit app.
oh I see, I will be trading my MM for a MA so I guess I'm safe with the glasses ...have you (or anyone) tried the Epson app?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom