DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

[Solved] Lack of sharpness in distance with Air compared with Pro?

Maybe the JPGs are easier to judge, they will also look sharper without post.
Also looks like a bit of haze in the distance...

Last edited:
So anyone able to determine if I’ve got a sharp lens or not from a few .dng samples?

Dropbox - DJI_0010.DNG
Dropbox - DJI_0245.DNG
Dropbox - DJI_0262.DNG

Or do you require OOC jpeg to make this conclusion?
I did a quick development of your last picture to JPEG, and scaled it down to 2000 pix - similar to the picture I posted further up in the thread, so other people can judge concerning the quality:

MavicAirDng.jpg

Keep in mind that I did the development to JPEG, I'd guess the DJI Software will not necessarily process it the same way like I did. Just for you all to have a quick look!

Not sure if I should start a different thread but my RAW images are full of noise during day and I only use 100 ISO. I feel like everyone complaining has better pics than I do. Should I post pics here and see if someone can notice anything or should I just make a new submission for myself?

Sounds to me like a different issue, so I'd recommend starting a new thread.

I suspect the lens design (wider, smaller gimbal) is pushed to the limits a bit more with the Air, but my main issue was that many JPG samples looked soft in parts of the image, often for distant object compared with Spark (also fixed focus lens) and MP (larger gimbal/camera/lens system). On several samples I found online, and 2 of my previous units (returned to shop within 14 days) this was very noticable. I would not consider it bad enough to be considered a defect, but not acceptable to me as an upgrade. I also saw a few sharp examples online emerging, and now I received the new unit which produces good sharp images I think it is safe to conclude that this was a Q/C issue with lens alignment that DJI may have tweaked recently. Note that I am not taking about the lens distortion (does not bother me too much as it is not noticable in most cases) or 1080p video processing issues mentioned in other threads, which mey be fixable in FW.

What Sharpness settings are you using and what video resolution? If you're comparing 4k from a Mavic Pro at sharpness +2 to a 1080p from a Mavic Air at Sharpness -2 it's like comparing apples to...a dining room table.

Comparisons were done at auto settings in the same resolution, mainly with photos since Spark video is only 1080p.

Thanks for the update OP. Did you return to DJI or your retailer? I have a similar issue and am thinking of sending it back. Just curiouse how much trouble I will have with DJI honoring this issue.

How do you determine the production date ? From the serial #?

I took some test photos with Spark and my latest Mavic Air today, all in Auto mode. It was very sunny but a bit hazy.
The Spark looks relatively flat, Air a bit too saturated for my taste (even though it is definitely spring it still looks a bit too green). Sharpness looks fine on both units, but Spark JPG processing seems to be set a bit sharper by default. I did a quick edit of the Air photo in post to tone it down a bit and slightly increase sharpness. For images I think I will use +1 Sharpness and -1 Saturation because I never do any post processing on a regular basis. :)

Attachments

• 1_Air.JPG
    1_Air.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 1_Air_Post.JPG
    1_Air_Post.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 27
  • 1_Spark.JPG
    1_Spark.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 2_Air.JPG
    2_Air.JPG