DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Some stills from yesterday

Rilot

Reactions
Straight out of the camera. These are the unedited jpgs straight out of the camera. DNGs are here: DNGs

EA6NLX7.jpg

2WOHryp.jpg

dzfcbMs.jpg

RqFp1Xn.jpg

j2pM7Ox.jpg

And for comparison. Here are some shots from the Air 2S about 10 minutes later: DNGs in the same place.

Rk5dGMW.jpg

aWQY6Js.jpg

eDSY2pM.jpg

UrVSPHB.jpg

JANwASA.jpg

Really like it. I'm actually preferring the stills from it over the Air 2S. Video is another matter entirely because I don't have any ND filters yet and so everything looks like garbage with ridiculously high shutter speeds.

@rilot most suppliers have the dji filter kits on pre order, had an e mail from PGYTECH who are going to be producing two filter kits for the Mini 3 in the usual multi ND sets that they make for other drones, they were for pre order as well and i believe were priced at around £55 per set of 5 filters
4,8,16,32,64 ND sorry deleted the text by mistake with a load of others

Very nice!

And for comparison. Here are some shots from the Air 2S about 10 minutes later: DNGs in the same place.

Rk5dGMW.jpg

aWQY6Js.jpg

eDSY2pM.jpg

UrVSPHB.jpg

JANwASA.jpg
Thanks for sharing these, really nice quality! I have had a comparative look and would have to give the edge to the Mini 3. That's quite incredible given it's only a 4000 x 3000 pixel sensor and shot in 12MP mode. BUT have you seen this video...?

These guys have done a lot of tests and concluded that image quality is better at 100 ISO using the 48 MP mode however once you hit ISO's above 800 it clearly swings to the 12MP. Noise on 12MP is almost non-existent right through to 6400 ISO!!! Another weird thing is using 12MP at any ISO you get weird artifacts especially between lines
Artifacts.JPG

But 48MP never shows this. So rule is for absolute best quality in good conditions use 48MP at 100 ISO if light is lower and you need higher ISO always use 12MP.

Would love to see same location shot in 48 and 12 MP on the Mini 3.

Thanks again for sharing!

Cheers

Bussty

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I'll try and get over there either today or one day this week to do comparisons with 48 and 12mp.

Reactions: Bussty
These guys have done a lot of tests and concluded that image quality is better at 100 ISO using the 48 MP mode however once you hit ISO's above 800 it clearly swings to the 12MP. Noise on 12MP is almost non-existent right through to 6400 ISO!!! Another weird thing is using 12MP at any ISO you get weird artifacts especially between lines
View attachment 148700

But 48MP never shows this. So rule is for absolute best quality in good conditions use 48MP at 100 ISO if light is lower and you need higher ISO always use 12MP.

Would love to see same location shot in 48 and 12 MP on the Mini 3.

Thanks again for sharing!

Cheers

Bussty
The sample images show the complete opposite from all sources.
48mp lack sharpness and lose some small objects due to the way the bayer filter works.

And noise is clearly visible on 100 iso 12mp shots in the shadows.

Look at the DP Review sample gallery.

The sample images show the complete opposite from all sources.
48mp lack sharpness and lose some small objects due to the way the bayer filter works.

And noise is clearly visible on 100 iso 12mp shots in the shadows.

Look at the DP Review sample gallery.
I didn't like the DPREVIEW images the best I have found is some of Billy Kyles. Someone somewhere said something about the 12MP 48MP thing switching over following a recent firmware review?

Have you seen this post Photography: Mavic 3 vs. Mini 3 Pro

Is total reverse of what you are saying. Also that Pilot Institute video is very convincing. Maybe it was done after the firmware change as I think those DPREVIEW images are earlier ones? Pilot Institute are doing a Mini 3 vs Mavic 3 video so might answer some questions?

I prefer actual images i can put into lightroom myself and inspect over random youtubes.
Billy Kyle's are OK as well for experimenting but also show the 48mp significantly software and with artefacts and some pattering vs the 12.
As do all the other side-by-sides.

This is what you'd expect from a 12mp sensor with a quad bayer filter. Its not really capturing more detail optically.

You'd hope DxO come out with a Mini 3 profile and that might make the 48mpx nice and usable given how well they seem to be able to process raws. That might take a while though.

I prefer actual images i can put into lightroom myself and inspect over random youtubes.
Billy Kyle's are OK as well for experimenting but also show the 48mp significantly software and with artefacts and some pattering vs the 12.
As do all the other side-by-sides.

This is what you'd expect from a 12mp sensor with a quad bayer filter. Its not really capturing more detail optically.

You'd hope DxO come out with a Mini 3 profile and that might make the 48mpx nice and usable given how well they seem to be able to process raws. That might take a while though.
Hi Cymru

So I'm a little confused? Are you saying the image on the left is less detailed for you than the one on the right? Left = 48MP Right = 12 MP

Cheers

Bussty
Compare.PNG

At 100% yes, they all exhibit significantly more softness (even when balancing resolution).
The bayer filter is also removing some fine detail -example cats-eyes on roads.

Again there are 100s of sample images out now and they all show the same.
And its also entirely what you'd expect from a 12mp sensor with a bayer filter in front of it.

In the example you posted, even at that small size, the increased chromatic aberration is clearly visible.

At 100% yes, they all exhibit significantly more softness (even when balancing resolution).
The bayer filter is also removing some fine detail -example cats-eyes on roads.

Again there are 100s of sample images out now and they all show the same.
And its also entirely what you'd expect from a 12mp sensor with a bayer filter in front of it.

In the example you posted, even at that small size, the increased chromatic aberration is clearly visible.
What you are saying is what I have always thought but that image above I just can't see how the left is less detailed than the right in a practical sense. Ran it past my family and they all came with the same conclusion.

What do you make of this video?

I'd be really interested to know as it turned my understanding (of the Mini 3 Pro at least) completely on its head. Verdict from that video (and they went to a lot of trouble) is 48MP more highly detailed but more noise best at 100 ISO 12MP really low noise at most ISO's but less detail at 100 ISO

Cheers

I'd say stop relying on clickbait YouTube videos, grab 30-40 sample images and process them in lightroom or photoshop yourself.
In every single one the 48mp is software, even when factoring the same resolutions, has more CA and more artefacts of filtering (certain objects vanish).
There's shadow noise at 100 iso and upwards as you'd expect. The DPReview ones shot in lowish light show it off nicely.

Always better off looking for yourself on actual content to see. Most YouTube videos are worthless, a small number such as Philip Bloom attempt to unpick the technicalities but most dont.

Looking at the images so far, the biggest processing issue is going to be controlling the chromatic aberration. Lots of purple fringing on high contrast areas.

I'd say stop relying on clickbait YouTube videos, grab 30-40 sample images and process them in lightroom or photoshop yourself.
In every single one the 48mp is software, even when factoring the same resolutions, has more CA and more artefacts of filtering (certain objects vanish).
There's shadow noise at 100 iso and upwards as you'd expect. The DPReview ones shot in lowish light show it off nicely.

Always better off looking for yourself on actual content to see. Most YouTube videos are worthless, a small number such as Philip Bloom attempt to unpick the technicalities but most dont.

Looking at the images so far, the biggest processing issue is going to be controlling the chromatic aberration. Lots of purple fringing on high contrast areas.
That's Ok probably best to agree to disagree but from the many 48 MP's from a Mini 3 Pro I have developed in a RAW module I'm getting different results from you. The click bait you mentioned raised the question and then I went out and tested it to come to my conclusion. End of the day we have to convince ourselves. Cheers

Wow awesome, if you can take both 12 and 48 of same shot would be great! Cheers Bussty

Here you go. I wasn't able to get up to the same field I was in before so I just flew above my back garden.

DNGs are in the same place as the last ones. Marked as 12 or 48mp. Here are the JPGs. 48mp versions are first. All at ISO100 and all with similar settings. I tried to take some more challenging shots with lots of dark and light areas.

BDXf45o.jpg

0BnDb5N.jpg

2fvolr4.jpg

mlDxQ6A.jpg

QAcgW58.jpg

QVDsVTz.jpg

Here you go. I wasn't able to get up to the same field I was in before so I just flew above my back garden.

DNGs are in the same place as the last ones. Marked as 12 or 48mp. Here are the JPGs. 48mp versions are first. All at ISO100 and all with similar settings. I tried to take some more challenging shots with lots of dark and light areas.
Thank you Rilot! I look forward to havine a look an reporting back. Cheers

Last edited:
5.PNG

Ok there are five examples in the link below of comparisons between 48MP and 12MP (a sample above)

I think it stand's out you will get more detail (and a little noise) in the 48MP (this aligns with the Pilot Institute test) I think if it was a concern running through a good denoiser (Topaze Denoise for example) that would clean up nicely. I suspect DJI is baking in noise reduction on the 12MP DNG's

I also think the edges on your drone's camera are pretty good.

So my confirmed take out is shoot 48MP when you can (low ISO) but if needing High ISO use 12MP

Thanks for taking the shots! Cheers

MP - Google Drive

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones