DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photography: Mavic 3 vs. Mini 3 Pro

I found one that had good files in his dropbox for download, the most even coverage I have seen yet and the 48MP's actually hold up decent:

Cropped in 48mb image and 12mb HDR (5 shot AEB) on the right. With regular detail, there's little difference I can see, but on the beach it's hideous.

Attachments

• DJI_0005-2.jpg
    DJI_0005-2.jpg
    960.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DJI_0010-HDR-3.jpg
    DJI_0010-HDR-3.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I have matched the magnification on those (best to download attached PNG) as expected 48MP (left) has more information but it's not staggering. Really looking forward to a comparison with this drone and M3... Out of interest do you have the full size copy of this image?

Cheers

Bussty
Compare.PNG

Edit: One thing that does stand out is the noise. Looking at the dark window the 48 MP has more and from PilotInstitute reviews it gets worse the higher you raise the ISO but the 12MP stays pretty constant even up to 3200-6400!

Good day pilots! So I’ve taken the time to read ALL comments. This is an interesting thread I’ll continue to follow with vested interest.

Can we make a ‘global’ consensus on the acronyms we will use for the Mavic 3 and the Mini 3 (Pro)? I have read (and seen) M3 referring to all 3 birds. This gets convoluted and confusing.

@GadgetGuy mentioned it and we glossed right over it and kept using M3 to describe all 3 birds (including the Mini 3 Pro). It just helps the reader if we’re clear on which bird we are talking about . . . 👍🏿

Reactions: Bussty
Good day pilots! So I’ve taken the time to read ALL comments. This is an interesting thread I’ll continue to follow with vested interest.

Can we make a ‘global’ consensus on the acronyms we will use for the Mavic 3 and the Mini 3 (Pro)? I have read (and seen) M3 referring to all 3 birds. This gets convoluted and confusing.

@GadgetGuy mentioned it and we glossed right over it and kept using M3 to describe all 3 birds (including the Mini 3 Pro). It just helps the reader if we’re clear on which bird we are talking about . . . 👍🏿
Makes sense :)

These are a couple of JPEG+RAW straight from the Mini 3 - if you look at the shingle, it's all blocky
That's a couple of really interesting images you have posted, thank you!

There's couple of things this raises, firstly is the weird colour shifts you get between fine details in 48MP this was shown on the Pilot Institute Test too. So looking here I'm sure these poles aren't rainbow coloured? I think his must be the effects of the Quad Bayer sensor...
colour shifts.JPG

The other things is lens sharpness and this seems to vary across drones but while the centre is nice and sharp the edges...

edge 1.JPG

1653180121558.png

That second one almost look like it's out of focus, but all off the same frame? and this..

1653180298171.png

This is a another roller coaster ride, some stills I see are quite crisp across the frame and others are quite variable. This shot was taken at 1/2500 of a second so motion blur can not be an issue.

Raises more questions than it answers? One reviewer said 48MP images take longer to take and I wonder if there is some multiple imagery going on there but apparently there isn't.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers

Bussty

Reactions: clearairflying
To put things into perspective, the sensor inside Mini 3 Pro is about the same size as the one in my mobile phone, Samsung S21 Ultra.

And yes, a photographer can come home with some creative images with his phone. But there are so many missed opportunities, when you have to work around the limitations of a tiny-sized sensor.

Not to mention the creative potential of that 7X zoom camera on Mavic 3. There is no way you can get the same cinematic feel, from the 24mm lens on Mini 3 Pro.

View attachment 148059
The main limitation for your phone is not the sensor size but the fact that the lens is tiny and flat. As DSLR photographers know, lens quality is more important than sensor size. Luckily the Mini 3 doesn't have the same size limitations for the lens as a phone.

Your point about the 7x zoom is quite right, and 'ironically' this is a feature which is not reliant on the larger sensor size. Some nice shots you've posted!

My view is that the Mini 3, and even the Mini 2, are great fair weather photography drones, if you're shooting in bright sunlight, high contrast, you can get great results. It's in low light situations, marginal light, overcast skies, low contrast scenes where they will underperform. The Mini 3 will allow exposure bracketing (AEB) with five shots, so that should provide decent dynamic range (mini 2 only has 3 shots).

Reactions: Dronecation
This is a 5 shot AEB from this morning (before 9am), processed in Lightroom. It was very hazy but the sensor has coped quite well I think, but these are the 12Mb shots

Attachments

• DJI_0028-HDR-2.jpg
    DJI_0028-HDR-2.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 42
^^ remember, in the US, 200 years is old. In europe, 200 miles is far away. The amt of historic quaint in the uk is astounding…

I'm still sitting here wondering about the Mavic 3 and my next trip to Iceland. I took an I2 once. Great shots but a serious PITA to carry around. MP2 twice and Autel Evo 2 last time. My ground setup is a Fuji GFX100s but the drone part is what really excites...

Autel:

View attachment 148541

MP2:
View attachment 148535
I2 and 15mm lens
View attachment 148540

In addition to ordering a Mini 3 within the first hour of announcement, I took delivery of an EVO II Pro Enterprise kit this week and wow, is it fantastic for still images! The bird I got has a lens that is perfectly centered with no smearing at all anywhere in the frame, just slight corner softness that is super easy to fix in post.

So I think my three bird kit will be fantastic now, Mini 3 for super light duty and vertical content, M2P for video and EVO II for top notch stills.

I just saw far too many Mavic 3 images with very poor corner performance and bad lens centering to put down the money.

I recognize this will be early on, but as a photographer, I would love to get some feedback on the *single image* photo quality of the Mini Pro 3 vs. the Mavic 3.

I have the Mavic 3, which shoots a 20MP image. The new Mini Pro 3 shoots a single 48MP image, which is very intriguing to me.

If you are a person who has had the opportunity to use both the Mini Pro 3 and the Mavic 3, please post your feedback here. (I recognize this may take awhile since it's so new.)

Thanks!

Ray
I'm currently traveling with my Mini2 but will be home in a couple of weeks with my Mav3 (which I left at home) and Mini3Pro which ships this week . . so soon as I get home I plan to do a comprehensive comparison and assessment. I'll post soon as I can . . but I predict the Mini3 Pro will be a quite capable substitute with some features not available yet on Mav 3 . . and no I haven't tried the new Mav3 update till I get home

What is the technical trickery, shoot multiple shots in bursts and merge them together in software?

Computational photography like iPhones and other top smart phones?

That could be good but I question whether DJI has the image processing and AI chops of Apple and Google.
you forgot samsung... they are the leader still... (in most comparisons) :)

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan