DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photography: Mavic 3 vs. Mini 3 Pro

I can provide full rez M3 examples if you are after any. This sort of thing. Tumbarumba Autumn Morning
Hey Jeff

Thanks for the offer from what I have seen the M3 camera is pretty nice. You have some great shots on your site. I see you have been in NZ recently (Lake Ohau) special country that...

Lake Ohau link

I really think I'm going to wait for the next iteration of the Mavic 3 as there is rumour of a 1" tele and using the method I talked about above would provide ability to get some stunning stills in that 6x to 2x space using grid stitching and that will open up so many doors.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Hey Jeff

Thanks for the offer from what I have seen the M3 camera is pretty nice. You have some great shots on your site. I see you have been in NZ recently (Lake Ohau) special country that...

Lake Ohau link

I really think I'm going to wait for the next iteration of the Mavic 3 as there is rumour of a 1" tele and using the method I talked about above would provide ability to get some stunning stills in that 6x to 2x space using grid stitching and that will open up so many doors.
Thanks Andrew, that's very kind of you. Lake Ohau is one of my favourite places in NZ. Your image is a cracker. I have never been there with such a good snow cover. I will be following what happens with the M3 with interest. I get the impression that stills has not had a lot of focus with DJI so far. Hopefully, the M3 will change that.

Thanks Andrew, that's very kind of you. Lake Ohau is one of my favourite places in NZ. Your image is a cracker. I have never been there with such a good snow cover. I will be following what happens with the M3 with interest. I get the impression that stills has not had a lot of focus with DJI so far. Hopefully, the M3 will change that.
Just spied your Iceland gallery.... WOW!! you have some spectacular shots there. Love those natural patterns, always on the lookout for those now I have a drone (albeit a very small one!)

My friend and I have 6 days of bliss every year and go on a winter photography trip in NZ. Back in 2017 (when that Ohau shot was taken) we struck the biggest fall of snow we have experienced in a long time (by NZ standards). The closer you got to Tekapo the heavier it got, was a photographers paradise. Shots from that trip can be found lower down on this page... Mackenzie Country Winter Images

I totally agree about DJI not focusing on Drones to make stellar still images, definitely seems more about Video or at least that format can cover up lens flaws more easily. I almost purchased the Autel Lite+ even though the sensor was only one inch just because the optics seemed superior (sharp edge to edge) compared to even the M3. I would happily pay $500 more for any drone if it would give me optics like I'm used to on my DSLR. As a Fixed Lens it must be possible, there are some pretty sharp, low cost fixed length DSLR optics out there. I used to buy kit zooms and middle of the range lenses for my Olympus but as soon as I got into their pro range 12-100mm and 300mm you just know no matter where you point that lens it's going to provide very clear images.

Just spied your Iceland gallery.... WOW!! you have some spectacular shots there. Love those natural patterns, always on the lookout for those now I have a drone (albeit a very small one!)

My friend and I have 6 days of bliss every year and go on a winter photography trip in NZ. Back in 2017 (when that Ohau shot was taken) we struck the biggest fall of snow we have experienced in a long time (by NZ standards). The closer you got to Tekapo the heavier it got, was a photographers paradise. Shots from that trip can be found lower down on this page... Mackenzie Country Winter Images

I totally agree about DJI not focusing on Drones to make stellar still images, definitely seems more about Video or at least that format can cover up lens flaws more easily. I almost purchased the Autel Lite+ even though the sensor was only one inch just because the optics seemed superior (sharp edge to edge) compared to even the M3. I would happily pay $500 more for any drone if it would give me optics like I'm used to on my DSLR. As a Fixed Lens it must be possible, there are some pretty sharp, low cost fixed length DSLR optics out there. I used to buy kit zooms and middle of the range lenses for my Olympus but as soon as I got into their pro range 12-100mm and 300mm you just know no matter where you point that lens it's going to provide very clear images.
That Iceland trip is what got me hooked on aerials. That was the most productive 45 minutes of my life. I do envy you a winter trip anywhere in the South Island. The images are magic. I love the power lines image. I have both the 12-100 and 300 Oly lenses, no argument from me on their quality. Something like the 12-100 on a M43 sensor would be superb.

I can see how Iceland would have done that. I don't own anything inbetween the 12-100 and 300 so I grid stich with the 300mm to make up the focal lengths in-between, I think that 300mm was one of the sharpest lenses on imaging-resource. So when you grid stitch the results are very crisp. That power line shot is about 6 across with the camera vertical using the 300mm. Yes dream of having that lens set up on a drone :) One day maybe!

Hey Jeff

How is flying in NZ overall?

I spent some money trying to get approval from various DOCs in the South Island back in 2019. They charge you just to do the application process.

One DOC denied my applications but wanted me to pay about 70 NZD for the application, which struck me as unfair. I finally paid it but I don't know why it cost them that much to look over a handful of locations and be able to answer yes or no right away.

No chance of flying anywhere near Queenstown, even though it should be possible to just fly out over the water, with no danger of crashing on people or whatever the concerns are. Supposedly you have to get permission from private property owners and take off and maybe just hover over that property.

I think it's not quite as tough as it is made out. Here's my basic rules...
  • Don't fly over private property without permission (I probably test that a little if I'm in the middle of nowhere and can't see a manmade object in any direction!)
  • Don't fly over DOC land without permission. You can but as you have found out you need permission. It's $60 to fly up to 3 months in any district, so Otago, Southland, Canterbury etc Don't even both trying to fly in National Parks they will generally say "No" :-( Having said that many DOC areas have signs that say "No Drones" and many that don't you maybe could use that as an argument if you were confronted e.g there's a big sign saying "No Drones" on the DOC reserve near Shotover Jet but nothing near a Remote Reserve at the back of Falls Dam (great place) in Central Otago.
  • I treat all roading reserves as fair game so all our roads have a 20m wide strip that I will happily fly, same with rivers that aren't in a DOC area.
  • Always try an avoid people! Someone said just wear a bright High Viz vest and people will think you are official and just leave you alone :)
  • I use an app called Airshare which reports NFZ's and allows you to apply for flights in those zones.
  • One thing I use A LOT is the shielded rule What is a shielded operation? | aviation.govt.nz pretty much outside of DOC and Reserves even right up to an Airport you can fly your drone however...
    • You must be within 100m of an object as high as you want to fly
    • If within 4km of an airport you must also have a barrier between you and the airport in case your drone takes off
    • You can fly at night!
    • I live within 4km of an airport but luckily there is a 30M high bank between me and the Airport so I can fly the drone 20-30M above my house at anytime and be able to capture some of those amazing sites that can happen here:- Snow Day - Lake Hayes Estate - Queenstown 360 Panorama | 360Cities
Hope that helps

Cheers

Bussty

Is the $60 for the application process?

I believe I sent it to more than one DOC so it doesn't sound like if you send it to one district, they will review or even be aware of any other district.

Thanks for the tip on AirShare app and the general rules.

So if you're near even the smallest town, don't fly over built up areas because there will likely be private property below?

How far do the air rights go up in altitude, like more than 120 meters?

Is the $60 for the application process?

I believe I sent it to more than one DOC so it doesn't sound like if you send it to one district, they will review or even be aware of any other district.

Thanks for the tip on AirShare app and the general rules.

So if you're near even the smallest town, don't fly over built up areas because there will likely be private property below?

How far do the air rights go up in altitude, like more than 120 meters?
Hi there

Yes $60 per DOC area and yes they probably don't talk to each other.

Yes never fly over houses.

Yes max 120 meters

Good luck!! :)

Cheers

Bussty

Check out my post above to the other person, I am getting the Mini 3 purely for vertical shots which I estimate will be fine. I'm not interested in the zoom since it really does not give me the file I want as zoomed out.

If I did not already have an MP2 I might consider the MP3 but since I see little to be gained in going to the 3, it was easy to skip. But the vertical feature on the Mini is a whole other ball game.
For clarity, there is no MP2 and there is no no MP3. The appropriate shortcut abbreviations for the correct model names of the Mavic 2 Pro and the Mavic 3 are M2P and M3 respectively. With the Mini 3 now out, it's only going to get more confusing, if we start transposing letters and adding them inappropriately.

Last edited:
I'm still sitting here wondering about the Mavic 3 and my next trip to Iceland. I took an I2 once. Great shots but a serious PITA to carry around. MP2 twice and Autel Evo 2 last time. My ground setup is a Fuji GFX100s but the drone part is what really excites...

Autel:

MAX_0132.jpg

MP2:
DJI_0449 (2020_08_18 01_54_13 UTC).jpg
I2 and 15mm lens
DJI_0913 (2020_08_31 08_44_48 UTC).jpg

Attachments

• MAX_0304 (2).jpg
    MAX_0304 (2).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:
I recognize this will be early on, but as a photographer, I would love to get some feedback on the *single image* photo quality of the Mini Pro 3 vs. the Mavic 3.

I have the Mavic 3, which shoots a 20MP image. The new Mini Pro 3 shoots a single 48MP image, which is very intriguing to me.

If you are a person who has had the opportunity to use both the Mini Pro 3 and the Mavic 3, please post your feedback here. (I recognize this may take awhile since it's so new.)

Thanks!

Ray
Its not a true 48mp sensor ,it is 12mp true mp.

I recognize this will be early on, but as a photographer, I would love to get some feedback on the *single image* photo quality of the Mini Pro 3 vs. the Mavic 3.

I have the Mavic 3, which shoots a 20MP image. The new Mini Pro 3 shoots a single 48MP image, which is very intriguing to me.

If you are a person who has had the opportunity to use both the Mini Pro 3 and the Mavic 3, please post your feedback here. (I recognize this may take awhile since it's so new.)

Thanks!

Ray
Hi there Ray

Keep an eye on this Youtube site. These guys are doing some fascinating comparisons between sensors with some interesting outcomes I would watch all their vids on the Mini3Pro but best of all they are about to compare Mini3 with the M3. Interestingly they are saying for fine detail definition the Mini3 is showing the best resolution results of drones they have tested yet (noise is another issue). So keen to see the M3 comparison...

Cheers

Bussty

I'm struggling to find solid stills posted anywhere, seems to be quite a central/edge difference in quality. At fixed aperture of f1.7 I guess that will always be a limitation?
I found one that had good files in his dropbox for download, the most even coverage I have seen yet and the 48MP's actually hold up decent:

I can provide full rez M3 examples if you are after any. This sort of thing. Tumbarumba Autumn Morning

I am still on the fence about the M3 as to it being a big enough upgrade over my more than decent and *highly* productive M2P.

I do a ton of paid jobs and output fine art prints from that rig and to see only minor sharpness and DR gains from the M3 while staying the same **** too wide of a lens and MP count had me giving it a hard no on announcement.

I would need to see a good convincing side by side of the M2P / M3 with downloadable DNG files to make me go for it.

I found one that had good files in his dropbox for download, the most even coverage I have seen yet and the 48MP's actually hold up decent:

Hey KS-6 yes found those Billy Kyle shots and I agree. At ISO 100 48mp the Mini3 performs quite well, If you haven't already check out the link above and watch the Pilot Institute comparisons with other drones, really interesting. I'm all about getting in close and Pixel Peeping as my prints can end up big on a wall so it's important to me but what the PilotInstitute is coming up with around the definition of the sensor on the Mini3 is really interesting. It sticks out massively if you made a 4/3 sensor with the same tech it would generate pretty stunning detail... Looking forward to the M3 comparison, no way it will beat but will be good to see how far away it is!

Cheers

Bussty

Thanks!

Ray
Well, so far I have noticed some unpleasant artifacts in the 48Mb images, whereas the 12Mb ones are completely fine.

Am not sure if this is only since the new firmware update, as I didn't have mine prior to that, but it's very noticeable on beaches where everything seems to become confused and smeary, or jagged. Whereas 12mb AEB shots look fantastic

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdypdbdLVnC/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Thanks!

Ray

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AviewFromAbove_