DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Some very basic map display questions

Hmmm, I’d like to find a way to do it though. I fly up in the Arctic and have no internet from the time I leave the lower 48. No way I can leave the app open for two days till I get there.
Going in to the Arctic and risking my phone battery going flat just to fly my drone seems like a bridge too far ...... ? ? .... just stay line of sight, put a strobe under the drone and use visuals and the screen RC-drone guide. You must get some excellent and unusual footage up there. How does the cold affect the drone and batteries? Safe flying. ??

My reply was aimed at the OP - he never mentioned the Arctic

Hi Invisible-- easy to get confused here as to who posted what of course. OP here and although I'd like to visit the Arctic at some point, no immediate plans to do so. :)

Going in to the Arctic and risking my phone battery going flat just to fly my drone seems like a bridge too far ...... ? ? .... just stay line of sight, put a strobe under the drone and use visuals and the screen RC-drone guide. You must get some excellent and unusual footage up there. How does the cold affect the drone and batteries? Safe flying. ??
Never said we don’t have power. Plenty of that, just no internet.

It is a feature for DJI. How else they gonna spy on you if the app isn't open?? Ever read the permissions they are taking...

Kidroc, for clarity, are you saying that if you down load a google-map's map the DJI control Apps can access the downloaded map? If so is it necessary to do anything to give the Apps that access? My screen/viewing-device does not have a SIMM card and wifi and bluetooth are off when I fly so I have no internet connection. Thanks
Use google maps go into the settings in there you will find download offline map of your choosing every couple months the phone will ask me to update offline maps works well for me man.

Thanks, I take from that that the app will automatically access any downloaded google maps.

Ok, that prompts the question where does Mapbox get its maps from?
Aside from your comment the only source of off-line maps that I have seen mentioned is google maps. Perhaps, in view of your comment, that may be ammended to "via google maps"

Ok, that prompts the question where does Mapbox get its maps from?
Aside from your comment the only source of off-line maps that I have seen mentioned is google maps. Perhaps, in view of your comment, that may be ammended to "via google maps"
MapBox, after a quick Google, is independent of Google map. Feel free to read their website
Mapbox

and this article

DJI Go drone maps

Thank you
Not a problem. The discussion about using offline maps has been going on for years with the original Mavic Air, and there are definitely differences with how the DJI app handles the issue dependant on whether you’re using iOS or Android ; I’m on iOS.

I find easiest solutions are to either go to your flying site, tether your tablet to your phone, then use your phones mobile data to update the DJI app map to your current location.

Or, open the DJI app at home while you have a WiFi connection, open the map & scroll to where you are going to fly., making sure you zoom out enough to cover all the area you intend to fly in.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountryGuy
I can't understand why you need to have a map to fly the drone. I thought the drone used a built in GPS to navigate and worked from that. So, some questions that I have identified from reading each post in this entire discussion:

Why do you need a map?
What is an IOS?
How or what is a cache map?

This whole thing is new to me.

"Why do you need a map?"
To see where you are in relation to things not necessarily in your camera view.

"What is an IOS?"
The operating system running on iPhones and iPads.

"How or what is a cache map?"
Cache just means stored (usually temporarily) locally so it doesn't need the network to use it.

Reactions: umanbean
Hmmm, I’d like to find a way to do it though. I fly up in the Arctic and have no internet from the time I leave the lower 48. No way I can leave the app open for two days till I get there.
That sound really exciting and very cold - I want to go to remote parts of the southwest without internet I'm in Las Vegas - are you surveying the climate change?

No, guiding for moose, grizzlies wolves and caribou.
I have the recollection or reading about someone being prosecuted for using a drone in a hunt. Depending on your intentions you might want to look into that.

I have the recollection or reading about someone being prosecuted for using a drone in a hunt. Depending on your intentions you might want to look into that.
Depends on the state. But I’ve never used one for hunting. What you do see a ton of is drone footage being used for “B” footage before and after the hunt.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag