DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sony imx586 ma2 sensor

• Thread starter Deleted member 114292
  • Start date
Different Tech, but it's the samsung Pentile display argument all over again. You need to ignore specs and review output. Do these photos look better in 48mp mode and better than the previous gen camera? If so it's a win, if not then it's all marketing BS. 99% of stated specs are marketing BS, like flight time and distance and don't get me started on Samsung's QLED.

Different Tech, but it's the samsung Pentile display argument all over again. You need to ignore specs and review output. Do these photos look better in 48mp mode and better than the previous gen camera? If so it's a win, if not then it's all marketing BS. 99% of stated specs are marketing BS, like flight time and distance and don't get me started on Samsung's QLED.

In reality the sensor performs similar to a 12MP sensor although there's potentially some benefits being able to capture multiple shots at once using the different pixels. While there are possible small technical advantages to this approach at the 12MP resolution the main advantage is clearly being able to market the sensor as a super high resolution 48MP even though it's not really. Marketing is rarely honest though.

Interpolation always equals less overall resolution.

Bayer pattern sensors interpolate for color as they can only capture one this guess two. The Sony sensor in these 48MP cameras is interpolating 5 times. 1st for color 4 time for output size.

It’s not as much an issue of pixel density as it’s a somewhat larger sensor than the 1 2/3s in the MPP and Mavic 2 zoom.

However the output is not true 48MP being captured and the fact that the word “native” is being used by DJI and Autel IMO is grossly misleading.

The chip is dense and needs a fixed aperture.

The jpgs @ 48MP will be done by the drone I assume so you will be limited to the capabilities of the jpg engine designed by DJI. I am still not sure how the raw dngs will work but I assume some of the raw conversation will involve the size interpolation from the quad bayer design. Safe to assume the raw conversion should be better then the in drone jpg.

Paul C

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaffainNL