Join Us Now

Sorry, but it’s bye bye to you all.

• Thread starter Deleted member 24841
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 24841

I’ve really enjoyed owning a drone, right back to my first DJI Phantom FC40 to my Mavic Pro and I’ll have fond memories in the future when I review my aerial photos and videos. I was looking forward to registration in the UK, but then I realised that once registered I would have to abide by the rules 100%. Don’t get me wrong, I would never risk flying in an area that would put anyone at risk, but I did enjoy using Litchi waypoint missions, pre-planning the mission, sending the Mavic on its way and waiting for it to return looking almost pleased with itself! [emoji846]
But nothing is infallible and it would be just my luck to have a battery fail and my Mavic fall on the head of some lone walker who’s just out for a stroll. He traces my registration and next day to see newspaper headlines ‘Man knocked out by falling drone wakes up with a bald patch’ . The answer is of course is to behave sensibly and fly VLOS away from buildings and public, but then I’ve got enough videos of fields and lakes and if I can only fly VLOS then I might as well buy a kite. For a hobbyist like myself there is no alternative so reluctantly I’ve sold my Mavic and this will be my last reason to be part of the Mavic Drone Forum. I’ve not posted much in the past, but I’ve always enjoyed reading the weekly most popular topics. I might return when DJI design a drone that weighs a few ounces with 4k stabilised video capability, it’ll happen! Bye all!

If your risk tolerance doesn't support flying a drone then it's probably time to step away from doing it. The only thing anyone can do is take steps to try to mitigate the risk to what you believe is an acceptable level based on the enjoyment you get from performing the task. I have friends that would never get on a motorcycle, never fly in a single engine airplane, etc., etc. I drew the line at wingsuit flying :).

I’ve really enjoyed owning a drone, right back to my first DJI Phantom FC40 to my Mavic Pro and I’ll have fond memories in the future when I review my aerial photos and videos. I was looking forward to registration in the UK, but then I realised that once registered I would have to abide by the rules 100%. Don’t get me wrong, I would never risk flying in an area that would put anyone at risk, but I did enjoy using Litchi waypoint missions, pre-planning the mission, sending the Mavic on its way and waiting for it to return looking almost pleased with itself! [emoji846]
But nothing is infallible and it would be just my luck to have a battery fail and my Mavic fall on the head of some lone walker who’s just out for a stroll. He traces my registration and next day to see newspaper headlines ‘Man knocked out by falling drone wakes up with a bald patch’ . The answer is of course is to behave sensibly and fly VLOS away from buildings and public, but then I’ve got enough videos of fields and lakes and if I can only fly VLOS then I might as well buy a kite. For a hobbyist like myself there is no alternative so reluctantly I’ve sold my Mavic and this will be my last reason to be part of the Mavic Drone Forum. I’ve not posted much in the past, but I’ve always enjoyed reading the weekly most popular topics. I might return when DJI design a drone that weighs a few ounces with 4k stabilised video capability, it’ll happen! Bye all!
i find it sad that just because there are now new rules that you would think you could not enjoy your hobby any more ,whether you were flying at any time and in any mode the risk factor is the same, VLOS has been a requirement for a long time now ,the only difference after the 30th November is that now there are laws in place to enforce compliance i am 72 years young and i have no intention of giving up my hobby until my health prevents me from doing it ,i hope you dont regret your decision

Last edited:
Good judgement usually mitigates unacceptable risk. Few fun things are without risk of some sort. That all said, most hobbies have a time line and after that it's time to move onto something else, or expand into a new hobby. You should get some of your money back when you sell your gear; good luck and stay safe.

if I can only fly VLOS then I might as well buy a kite.
If your tale is true, that statement might come back to bite you in the butt.......And wallet.

Last edited:
MavicMini might be right for you ??

Reactions: GGehret
If your intention only was to fly BVLOS and therefor do it undercover I think you did the right decision to sell because We don’t need more of those who don’t care about the rules and risc our reputation.

Last edited by a moderator:
We all have different preferences, for me flying itself is important and always with the drone in view. Here where I fly, in a restricted zone, there is a Altitude limit for drones of only 50 m (164 f), but as Ken Heron says: "Hi up there, come down so you can see things". For me, drone photography is only a good addition.

It would be a completely different thing if I were to support myself as a drone pilot, as photography would be one of the cornerstones of my employment, here the market is also quite unexploited so jobs exist, but for me it is completely unattractive today.

Digital photography I have been doing for the last 20 years on all continents except Astralien, my photo archive is approaching 200,000 images, so I have met my needs
well.

In addition, publishing videos that show the horizon requires the permission of the authorities, too much trouble.

But drone flying laws, unfortunately, are often written without deeper knowledge of the capabilities and capabilities of modern drones.

Within the EU, we will have new laws on drone flying in 2020.

Reactions: Deleted member 3792
Surely you would know the right of action someone might have against you if they suffered an injury/loss due to your negligence/poor judgement has always been there. What’s the problem now? It might be harder for you to avoid your obligations? Interesting position to take. I’m afraid I couldn’t get there in sharing your point of view.

All the best with your next pursuit....

Wow - that's a tough decision you made. I think I would regret that decision at the next travel destination and be reconsidering. All the best to you anyway

If all you ever did was plan waypoint flights then that isn’t really being much of an r/c pilot anyway in my opinion. No loss, you should be able to get the same level of accomplishment from playing a video game on your pc.

• Haha
Reactions: Deleted member 3792
Yes, I agree with others when they say they can not share your opinion. How does having regulations change the risk factor and the liability factor? So up until now you have been doing BVLOS flights by Litchi AND no owner marking on your drone? So no phone number for someone to call if they were to find it and no registration number for identification?

I just dont see how regulations change much except that now you will be higher fined for breaking the regulations when you fly the same missions? Seems like not much common sense is coming into play. Sorry. Hope you enjoy your next unregulated hobby.

As other members have mentioned perhaps the MM is the answer if you want to continue the hobby. There is a reason that it is so light and can be flown almost anywhere using good common sense. It has a good range and battery life. This coupled with some kind of insurance should keep you in the game. Also like you I am a big fan of Litchi Waypoints so who knows maybe one day waypoints will be available for the MM. I am reasonably optimistic.

perhaps this thread has run its course ,unless the OP is still actually on the forum and is watching to see what we all say, if he is really gone then we should not be wasting our time replying

perhaps this thread has run its course ,unless the OP is still actually on the forum and is watching to see what we all say, if he is really gone then we should not be wasting our time replying
Just report it and the mod will bury it deep down where it belongs.

Reactions: old man mavic
You posted this in PhantomPilots also and if you really want to go then just log out but if you want to be removed then message me and will take care of it for you but please don't start no more threads like this.
Unknown-1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer