DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

specific question about a programmable shot

overtherainbow

Reactions
Hi. So I have been reading about sports drones, and understand the basic concept that they can "follow" you, automated, while you perform a certain sport activity.

Let me turn this around, as it is something I have been trying to find an answer on, and I am not sure if I have found it or not. I am seeking to achieve certain specific kinds of shots, one of which would be the following.

Imagine you are sitting on a rock or seat and the drone, the drone is close to you or the camera is in close up on your face, and then the drone "pulls back" rapidly, at an upwards angle, until it is a considerable distance away...in one stable shot.

Easy enough to do if you have a controller in your hand, also easy enough to do if you have a helper human (second pilot) but I am assuming neither situation. I am assuming that I will be alone and I specifically do NOT want a controller visible, or to have to worry about manually flying it at all during this type of shot. I want to be able to program the drone to do it, and then of course to be able to recover the drone (or have it fly back).

Is this possible currently? What present drones can definitely achieve this?

Is it really that simple though? I understand that one can program in a mission with start point and destination, with waypoints. I think the problem here would be keeping the shot accurate enough to be useful without a pilot eyeballing it on screen in real time.

With the DJI drones, you don't even need Litchi for that. The Dronie shots are already built-in. In some cases all you need to do is set distance and height, push the button to Go, set the controller down while the drone LEDs give you a countdown of three and smile. It's almost point and click.

...Imagine you are sitting on a rock or seat and the drone, the drone is close to you or the camera is in close up on your face, and then the drone "pulls back" rapidly, at an upwards angle, until it is a considerable distance away...in one stable shot... I will be alone and I specifically do NOT want a controller visible...
I was going to suggest a waypoint mission in Litchi, but I think you will have a problem with focus using a Mavic. If you start with a close-up shot of a face then I am assuming a distance of a few feet. Since you have to set the focus on the Mavic, your subject (and everything else) will be out of focus as you back away.

It might work using a Phantom but I do not have one so am not certain.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580