DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Speed and Disatance?

Mack

Reactions
Hi, I'm a new to drones Mavic Pro owner. in my first few flights I'm aware at about 400 metres that it seems to lose reception from the controller. and it never seems to achieve a higher speed than 30 kph
Now, I apologise in advance if these topics have been discussed loads of times, but I would appreciate any pointers to mistakes I'm probably making? FYI I live on a hill, and I have clear line of sight to the drone.

Which mode are you in?
Try enabling multiple flight modes in the settings of the app and then use the sport mode switch on the right side of your controller to enable sports mode.
Should be around 65kph then.

Thanks, I'll try that, I think a weekend of really studying (and flying) it will help.

I've just been looking through the app and can't see where I enable the multiple flight modes?
I guess I need it all to be connected to the controller?

Look harder it's actually the first setting
bbc1f24033e8afed435d9a4713d915cc.jpg

Be careful with the sport mode as the drone is really faster ! And the brake distance is longer also....

Thanks, I'll try that, I think a weekend of really studying (and flying) it will help.
Yip n keep it slow at first in a big open area...? Lots off good information on here read up and have a ball...no looking back now...Cheers n welcome to this crazy world...

Last edited:
Reactions: BigEegit
Hi, I'm a new to drones Mavic Pro owner. in my first few flights I'm aware at about 400 metres that it seems to lose reception from the controller. and it never seems to achieve a higher speed than 30 kph
Now, I apologise in advance if these topics have been discussed loads of times, but I would appreciate any pointers to mistakes I'm probably making? FYI I live on a hill, and I have clear line of sight to the drone.
New to drones? Ok, yes there are 2 modes as other posters describe, but as a NEW user, do you really need the speed? Performance mode will get you up to 22mph, and yes, sport mode will go much faster, but you lose obstacle avoidance and your stopping distance is much greater...not to mention the joystick sensitivity is much different...

Why chance it in sport mode as a newbie? Get your feet wet in performance mode and save the stunt flying til later... My $0.02

Have fun !

New to drones? Ok, yes there are 2 modes as other posters describe, but as a NEW user, do you really need the speed? Performance mode will get you up to 22mph, and yes, sport mode will go much faster, but you lose obstacle avoidance and your stopping distance is much greater...not to mention the joystick sensitivity is much different...

Why chance it in sport mode as a newbie? Get your feet wet in performance mode and save the stunt flying til later... My $0.02

Have fun !
When you say "performance mode" are you referring to GPS mode? I'm confused

When you say "performance mode" are you referring to GPS mode? I'm confused
No... There are 2 modes for flying - Performance and Sport. GPS is the global positioning system that the drone uses for flight.

Performance is what most beginners should use. In performance mode, your Mavic will have obstacle avoidance systems working, and your top speed is about 22mph. It's somewhat difficult to crash...I said Somewhat... [emoji12]

Sport mode is much different. In sport mode, there is NO obstacle avoidance and the top speed is much greater (about 40mph) ...not to mention that the sticks are much more sensitive...if you're going too fast and accidentally head right for a tree, she's a goner... You're most likely going to crash... And crash hard...no obstacle avoidance to stop you...

Breaking distance is also much different in the 2 modes. The distance it takes for your Mavic to come to a complete stop is much greater in sport mode...think about it... In sport mode you need more space to come to a complete stop.

GPS is the positioning system that is used to fly the Mavic. Much like the GPS in a car, it's used for precise locationing of the drone. Both performance and sport will use GPS for flight.

If you look on the side of your controller, you will see a switch to change from performance to sport mode.

So, in short, performance and sport modes determine how the Mavic behaves during flight, GPS is how your drone (and controller) knows where it is...

Hope that helps.

I'm a big believer in reading the manual several times...I've been flying for several months, and I am definitely not ready for sport mode...

Sport Mode flys simular to my racing drones,but a lot slower and a lot more stable. If you are flying using the screen for FPV,remember to fly higher than any thing in the area. When your flying FPV and something shows up on the screen,like a light pole/tree/ect. It's too late to avoid it,and your most likley gonna hit it,and your going in! I like to switch my camera into "FPV" mode and rip around some times,it gives you a more realistic cocpit view while flying. I can only think it would be even better with the DJI Goggles. All my racing drones run 5.8 gHz so I can't use my goggles with the Mavi Pro.

No... There are 2 modes for flying - Performance and Sport. GPS is the global positioning system that the drone uses for flight.

Performance is what most beginners should use. In performance mode, your Mavic will have obstacle avoidance systems working, and your top speed is about 22mph. It's somewhat difficult to crash...I said Somewhat... [emoji12]

Sport mode is much different. In sport mode, there is NO obstacle avoidance and the top speed is much greater (about 40mph) ...not to mention that the sticks are much more sensitive...if you're going too fast and accidentally head right for a tree, she's a goner... You're most likely going to crash... And crash hard...no obstacle avoidance to stop you...

Breaking distance is also much different in the 2 modes. The distance it takes for your Mavic to come to a complete stop is much greater in sport mode...think about it... In sport mode you need more space to come to a complete stop.

GPS is the positioning system that is used to fly the Mavic. Much like the GPS in a car, it's used for precise locationing of the drone. Both performance and sport will use GPS for flight.

If you look on the side of your controller, you will see a switch to change from performance to sport mode.

So, in short, performance and sport modes determine how the Mavic behaves during flight, GPS is how your drone (and controller) knows where it is...

Hope that helps.

I'm a big believer in reading the manual several times...I've been flying for several months, and I am definitely not ready for sport mode...
It's always nice when someone takes the time to give an in depth description to help another. Thanks mate. Happy flying.. Not in sport mode [emoji23]

I've just been looking through the app and can't see where I enable the multiple flight modes?
I guess I need it all to be connected to the controller?
Rtfim:)
And/or some youtubes , there are some great vids to help find you way around . . .

I always thought P-mode was positioning mode?
It is! There's very little "performance" in "P" mode!:) By turning off the sensors,you can get up to 32mph in "P" mode. Still not setting the world on fire,by any standards.I've had my MP up to 42.6mph in sport mode (Tail Wind). I think it "seems" fast to new pilots,and the MP does a lot of things well,but racing isn't one of them. I love my MP and fly it almost every day,but when it's time to go to the races,it stays home,in the hanger.

Last edited:
P stands for Position (as in Global Positioning or GPS mode). It will give you roughly 36 kph with no wind.

P mode with Avoidance sensor off will give you up to 50 kph.

S mode (Sports) will give you roughly 63 kph if you are on newer firmware.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv