DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spooky Action at a Distance

for some odd reason, cant send or copy .
maybe I will try it on my daughters apple comp
this 10 year old dell sucks

Hey. Downloaded the latest firmware
Reset back to default setting and IMU calibrated. Today made the 7th flight and tested it inside my car to 2200 meters
Happy camper. Will calibrate every time I come in from flying

Ok. Doing it now. Thanks
Sure sucks worrying when its ganna do it again! And still debating asking DJI to look at it. Then get a big bill and a old used mavic
Slightly off topic but... I would avoid sending stuff to dji at all costs! lol

They've had my mavic for almost 3 months and it's still not repaired! (Yes I did pay them)

You would think that a company making so much money would be able to improve its services alongside its products...

Reactions: kskalli
I also experienced the toilet bowling problem switching between GPS and ATTI mid flight for the first time after over 100 successful flights yesterday. I was flying around a large natural stone arch. I would take off inside the arch with no gps and slowly fly outside the arch low to the ground and wait for the Mavic to get a gps lock. I did this successfully 5 or 6 times and I also flue the Mavic back inside the arch and out the other side several times too. As the Mavic came inside it would switch to ATTI Mode and then back to GPS mode on the other side. So the Mavic was working well switching between GPS and ATTI but the final flight I flue back inside the arch and after the GPS dropped out and it switched to ATTI the Mavic started to go out of control toilet bowling and flying backwards and sideways. It was about 15m high so I just pulled the stick down and till it was 1m above the ground thinking it would just get a lock on its location with the downward facing cameras near the ground, however it did not and I was unable to control. It crashed into the wall and onto the ground but with only damage to the props.

I would be happy to upload DAT and log files if its useful to anyone. What I'm confused about is why it flies fine sometimes switching to ATTI mode mid flight and once every so often it fails and goes out of control. I have flown simple drones with no GPS, etc before, so I know what to expect without a GPS. I also calibrated the compass before the flight but have never done an IMU calibration on the Mavic. I was using 0400 firmware as had problems with 0550 and had read about problems with 0600. I hope DJI bring out a reliability fix in firmware for this in the future, in the mean time I think I will try to avoid locations where I have to switch flight modes mid flight.

I also experienced the toilet bowling problem switching between GPS and ATTI mid flight for the first time after over 100 successful flights yesterday. I was flying around a large natural stone arch. I would take off inside the arch with no gps and slowly fly outside the arch low to the ground and wait for the Mavic to get a gps lock. I did this successfully 5 or 6 times and I also flue the Mavic back inside the arch and out the other side several times too. As the Mavic came inside it would switch to ATTI Mode and then back to GPS mode on the other side. So the Mavic was working well switching between GPS and ATTI but the final flight I flue back inside the arch and after the GPS dropped out and it switched to ATTI the Mavic started to go out of control toilet bowling and flying backwards and sideways. It was about 15m high so I just pulled the stick down and till it was 1m above the ground thinking it would just get a lock on its location with the downward facing cameras near the ground, however it did not and I was unable to control. It crashed into the wall and onto the ground but with only damage to the props.

I would be happy to upload DAT and log files if its useful to anyone. What I'm confused about is why it flies fine sometimes switching to ATTI mode mid flight and once every so often it fails and goes out of control. I have flown simple drones with no GPS, etc before, so I know what to expect without a GPS. I also calibrated the compass before the flight but have never done an IMU calibration on the Mavic. I was using 0400 firmware as had problems with 0550 and had read about problems with 0600. I hope DJI bring out a reliability fix in firmware for this in the future, in the mean time I think I will try to avoid locations where I have to switch flight modes mid flight.
From the description it sounds like it didn't actually switch to ATTI. If you could provide the .DAT we could take a look.To see how look here
How to retrieve a .DAT

Thanks so much in advance for your time in looking at the file. Here is the download link: MEGA Flight location photo include.
There are a couple of odd things about this flight where the Mavic is in GPS_ATTI mode where it should be in ATTI. The first is shortly after batteryOn. Normally, the Mavic will wait until gpsHealth is 4 or above before switching to GPS_ATTI. Here, at -84 secs, the numSats and gpsHealth were both 0 but it switched from ATTI to GPS_ATTI

It looks like the Mavic passed through the arch 3 times. In the first two passes the gpsHealth would drop to 1 resulting in the switch to ATTI. But, in the third pass the gpsHealth dropped only dropped to 2 while in the tunnel (at time 335) and it didn't switch to ATTI.
upload_2017-5-9_16-49-48.png
upload_2017-5-9_16-50-4.png

Normally, when gpsHealth drops below 4 the Mavic will switch to ATTI. I suppose it's possible that the behavior in this incident is related to firmware version 1.03.0400 being used. Just speculating here.

At time 386 gpsHealth had been at 1 and it finally switches to ATTI. But, then at 389, for somw unknown reason, it switches back to GPS_ATTI (with numSats at 3 and gpsHealth at 1). Being in GPS_ATTI the Mavic starts trying to steer it's way to a compromised GPS location resulting in the collision at time 390
upload_2017-5-9_17-2-56.png
upload_2017-5-9_17-3-24.png

Seems clear to me that the Mavic made several mistakes. Maybe the more recent firmware versions are smarter. But, the real problem is that there is no way for the pilot to command that ATTI mode be used. None of this would have happened if GPS_ATTI mode were disabled.

Normally, when gpsHealth drops below 4 the Mavic will switch to ATTI. I suppose it's possible that the behavior in this incident is related to firmware version 1.03.0400 being used. Just speculating here.

Seems clear to me that the Mavic made several mistakes. Maybe the more recent firmware versions are smarter. But, the real problem is that there is no way for the pilot to command that ATTI mode be used. None of this would have happened if GPS_ATTI mode were disabled.

Thanks so much for your analytics @BudWalker I think DJI should give you a job if your not working for them already. I agree with both your findings, I'm now going to try the new .0700 firmware that came out yesterday but will avoid locations like that arch unless someone braver than me confirms reliable mode switching when GPS signal becomes weak. I wish too that it was possible to command that ATTI mode was used. Is this possible on other DJI drones?

Yes, several successful flights through the arch were made. The last pass where the drone crashed, I flue inside the arch and stopped to take photos of my friend rock climbing on the inside of the arch then after about 30 seconds I lost control. Anyway I'm going to keep watching this thread with interest and hope the situation improves with new firmware.

It would be good if one could enable say an expert mode where it was possible to do things like manual switching to ATTI but after agreeing to a warning message similar to the agreement that comes up when setting the max flight altitude to 500m.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa