DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sport mode is not my friend

I always hand launch, in P Mode
If I'm taking photos or video, I usually put it in P Mode
I always hand catch, in P Mode.
The rest of the time, I am always in Sport Mode. It's just so much more fun to fly. You do have to be more cautious, of course, and aware of the increased stopping distance. I get bored very quickly flying around in P mode, unless I'm trying to get a particular shot.

I've always been in the habit of recording every flight, from beginning to end. I rarely go back and watch the video unless something interesting happened, but I figure if something interesting does happen by chance, I'll have video of it - especially if it's a bird strike, or a crash, or a car jacking, etc.

You never know which flight could be your last. Might as well get a good video out of it. o_O

While I think flying the Mavic is fun just for the sake of flying it, to me it’s more a flying camera. Sports mode can be fun but since it can interfere with the camera part I only use it occasionally, or if needed in wind. Heck even in Sports mode you aren’t really the one flying. Honestly, I think I enjoy flying less capable quads where I am in control than the Mavic. But I still love the MP!

When I first got it I had fun just flying it. Now I have more fun planning missions then going to a location to tweak and then watching it perfectly execute—hopefully with excellent footage. I also really love long range missions, though my idea of long range is maybe a mile or so.

I fly giant scale fixed wing r/c. Every single thing that gasoline powered beast does in the air is because I specifically commanded a control surface. That is fun too but in a very different way than my Mavic is. With the Mavic I am still very impressed with its tech and abilities. And I still have a TON to learn. Speaking of that mastering hand launch and catch is on my list! :)

Mike

Was flying with wife today and switched to sport mode and was flying circles around wife's Mavic Pro peeled off to bring home and flew into a tree at 39MPH 120 feet up. Mavic bounced off tree and fell, broke two arms, all props and has compass error. Can't download flight logs form AC is it worth fixing?
I find the comments quite amusing - but not for Wcordes who crashed. I now have about 45 flying hours up and I wonder why people crash, I have yet to crash and have taken my MP to Hawaii and Alaska. Sport mode - never new it was there (did not read read read the manual) When I found sport mode I was already in sport mode, I learnt to fly in sport mode! After more research I find there is also a tripod mode which is excellent for stills and super clear video. Sport mode - I guess jumping in at the deep end was a good thing for me LOL.
Steve

Was flying with wife today and switched to sport mode and was flying circles around wife's Mavic Pro peeled off to bring home and flew into a tree at 39MPH 120 feet up. Mavic bounced off tree and fell, broke two arms, all props and has compass error. Can't download flight logs form AC is it worth fixing?

Same thing happen to me only a few weeks after getting mine. It was insured by State Farm Ins and they covered the entire repair. I sent it away to DJI and the repair took approx. 2 week and a total cost of $369. My insurance premium did increase this year from $25 to $38 per year.

I find the comments quite amusing - but not for Wcordes who crashed. I now have about 45 flying hours up and I wonder why people crash, I have yet to crash and have taken my MP to Hawaii and Alaska. Sport mode - never new it was there (did not read read read the manual) When I found sport mode I was already in sport mode, I learnt to fly in sport mode! After more research I find there is also a tripod mode which is excellent for stills and super clear video. Sport mode - I guess jumping in at the deep end was a good thing for me LOL.
Steve
By default Mavic starts in Normal mode, even if your switch is in Sport mode. If you start with your toggle switch in Sport mode, you have to switch it back to Normal mode first then switch to Sport mode to be in Sport mode.

I think Sport mode should be known as Smash mode, Splash mode, Smithereens mode, Scream mode, **** mode (as in Oh ****). Find a huge field take the drone high and do it once, then switch it off and Superglue mode off. If you 'need' it to get back home in high winds you shouldn't be flying really. UAV won't recommend flying in high speed gusts for that reason - for good reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Sport mode should be known as Smash mode, Splash mode, Smithereens mode, Scream mode, **** mode (as in Oh ****). Find a huge field take the drone high and do it once, then switch it off and Superglue mode off. If you 'need' it to get back home in high winds you shouldn't be flying really. UAV won't recommend flying in high speed gusts for that reason - for good reason.
LOL, well I wouldn't advise anyone to be that drastic. I definitely like having Sports mode available, even if I don't use it as my normal flight mode. The other day I needed it for footage of a seadoo on the Colorado river. I couldn't keep up otherwise.

As for wind, UAV Forecast can indicate all is okay to fly but wind can change and increases with altitude. In addition wind speed where you are can be different from whatever location UAV Forecast is obtaining it from. If you are in P mode at 200' alt and the wind suddenly gusts to 35 mph the Mavic can drift at up to 15 mph. A simple switch to Sports mode can not only make slight headway against that wind, but also hold position when stopped, as opposed to drifting. When I feel wind picking up fast like that I will switch to S mode to prevent any drifting. At that altitude, or anything close to it, there usually is nothing to even crash into, so fears about that are moot.

Yes, you may never find yourself in that situation. But I think it's good to have all the tools needed should it happen. If you do not use those tools, or are completely unaware of how to use them, you are at a disadvantage.

Mike

Reactions: DroneTraveller
LOL, well I wouldn't advise anyone to be that drastic. I definitely like having Sports mode available, even if I don't use it as my normal flight mode. The other day I needed it for footage of a seadoo on the Colorado river. I couldn't keep up otherwise.

As for wind, UAV Forecast can indicate all is okay to fly but wind can change and increases with altitude. In addition wind speed where you are can be different from whatever location UAV Forecast is obtaining it from. If you are in P mode at 200' alt and the wind suddenly gusts to 35 mph the Mavic can drift at up to 15 mph. A simple switch to Sports mode can not only make slight headway against that wind, but also hold position when stopped, as opposed to drifting. When I feel wind picking up fast like that I will switch to S mode to prevent any drifting. At that altitude, or anything close to it, there usually is nothing to even crash into, so fears about that are moot.

Yes, you may never find yourself in that situation. But I think it's good to have all the tools needed should it happen. If you do not use those tools, or are completely unaware of how to use them, you are at a disadvantage.

Mike
Good point, there must be nothing for it to crash into otherwise it'll going into SEEK mode ha ha ha.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming