DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sport Mode Power Bar

flyNfrank

Reactions
sportpwr.png

I don't know if this is new or not, I just saw it today after switching into Sport Mode to fight some strong head winds. I really like this feature! While flying I used it as tool and a guide at the same time. I searched the 3 most common websites for the Mavic Pro and was NOT able to find anything on this feature, 100% nothing. So I put the battery back in my Mav so I could at least get a image and slap together a basic video to give viewers an idea what it is I'm referring to. And Yes, the alarm in vid is very annoying. Good thing it's only a minute long.

Btw, I'm not 100% sure what the Power Bar is referencing. I 1st thought it was displaying the Stick Input from the R/C. The reason I changed my mind, around 3/4ths into the video you should be able to see where I was only applying a small amount of stick input and the bar graph would climb well above my input. At that point you'll notice I was going from little input to full input but the display was staying near full input. Regardless the situation, this new feature is really nice. I like it.

Last edited:
It seems to be motor RPM . With no load on the motor it would max out with little input but flying into a strong headwind you could be giving full input and the props may be bogging down . If it is RPM that could be useful to judge the wind . I know it is on the controller , never noticed on the app though .

The motors don't bog down in a headwind..That is pretty much impossible as the aircraft propulsion can't distinguish between a headwind, tailwind, or crosswind. The navigation system can, based on input from the GPS. So the Mavic may spool up the props more to gain airspeed, but they don't bog... It's just using more power to maintain or improve groundspeed.

The motors don't bog down in a headwind..That is pretty much impossible as the aircraft propulsion can't distinguish between a headwind, tailwind, or crosswind. The navigation system can, based on input from the GPS. So the Mavic may spool up the props more to gain airspeed, but they don't bog... It's just using more power to maintain or improve groundspeed.

You are right that the motor do not bog down. However, you're wrong about the propulsion system and head, tail, and cross winds. The propulsion system uses the flight pitch, roll, vertical and horizontal speed, Plus More, to determine what needs to take place to get the aircraft safely throughout flight.

You completely missed my point. For a given power setting (let's just leave the flight controller out of the picture for this discussion), it matters not if you are flying into a headwind, tailwind, or crosswnd- the propellers will see no change in load, nor will there be any change in airspeed. Of course the flight controller compensates- that is a given.

Yes you are correct . My bad for typing when I can't keep my eyes open . I was thinking the Mavic would be losing ground speed in the headwind so it would have to exert more energy to the props to maintain that ground speed .

So what is that power bar for? and what does it indicate actually? speed of rotor or something?

You completely missed my point. For a given power setting (let's just leave the flight controller out of the picture for this discussion), it matters not if you are flying into a headwind, tailwind, or crosswnd- the propellers will see no change in load, nor will there be any change in airspeed. Of course the flight controller compensates- that is a given.

I'm having a hard time following you. Reading your post for me is like I'm inside a large tractor tire rolling down a steep incline. You start out saying leave the flight controller out,......but yet you contradicted yourself in the end. :confused:

Has anyone else paid attention to the power bar in sport mode while flying, yet?

Has anyone else paid attention to the power bar in sport mode while flying, yet?

Yes, I have paid attention to it in sports mode. I like having it. Probably because flying RC helis was always done line of sight so you could hear what your motor was doing. Hearing it was often a good cue as to whether things were running correctly or not. Being able to fly much further than you can hear with a Mavic I found it nice to be able to see what was going on power wise.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada