DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spot on images

Droneflyers

Reactions
I'm getting a spot on all my images, it's not the lens cover as I get the same with filters. If it's a spot on the sensors can it be cleaned with compressed air or will I need to send it for repair?

Attachments

• spot.jpg
    spot.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 97
I'm getting a spot on all my images, it's not the lens cover as I get the same with filters. If it's a spot on the sensors can it be cleaned with compressed air or will I need to send it for repair?
Maybe dust on the sensor? but cleaning it that you may have to send it in I'm guessing.

I guess so Miguel but what to do?
I'm trying to see online if anyone else has had this issue. when you remove the glass as if you were changing a filter can you see a dot on the glass inside? check with magnifying glass and see close up? I had this issue a while back with my canon camera and was able to blow it off.

I did exactly that Miguel just 30 minutes ago the glass was clean, I gave it a gentle wipe with a soft glasses cloth and took the image just afterwards, I'm not sure if I could use compressed air to try and blow it off the sensor?

Reactions: MIGUELVM360
That looks like dust on the sensor which is a common problem with DSLRs but on a sealed camera with no way to remove the lens, that seems strange.

Have you checked to make sure it is not a spot on the lens (without any covers or filters). Otherwise, I don't think you will be able to clean it. You would likely have to send it in for repair.

Chris

Reactions: MIGUELVM360
If you attempt to remove the lens and expose the sensor to blow it off odds are you will make it much worse.

I would either send it in. Let DJI clean it. Odds are they can do it at a reasonable cost.

Live with the single spot and just remove it in LR , CC, or C1. Just takes a second. If it’s just one spot always in same location I would just remove it manually.

Spots are part of life with any DSLR.

If you get more than one I would send it in as somewhere inside the camera the seal has broken and air is getting in there and thus dust.

Paul C

Just remember that if dust got on the sensor then blowing with compressed air may well blow a tone more dust that did not make it in there on its own, will have been blown all over the sensor now. If you have a leak, blowing it out won't help because in the near future more will get in there. Best to send it off for proper cleaning and seal repair, if the seal has been compromised.

Actually, I would not be surprised if the actual camera/sensor assembly are assembled in some sort of clean room environment. If not this problem would be constantly showing up. It's possible that this assembly has cracked or somehow was not completely closed at time of manufacturing. There are thousands and maybe millions of these same assemblies in DJI products and you just don't see too much about dust on the sensor, again something I am very familiar with as I use various DSLR cameras in my work. Most if not all point and shoot cameras, with similar lens/sensor/camera closed assemblies don't have dust issues either, which is one plus to such a design.

Paul C

Actually, I would not be surprised if the actual camera/sensor assembly are assembled in some sort of clean room environment. If not this problem would be constantly showing up. It's possible that this assembly has cracked or somehow was not completely closed at time of manufacturing. There are thousands and maybe millions of these same assemblies in DJI products and you just don't see too much about dust on the sensor, again something I am very familiar with as I use various DSLR cameras in my work. Most if not all point and shoot cameras, with similar lens/sensor/camera closed assemblies don't have dust issues either, which is one plus to such a design.

Paul C
The gotcha is unlike my D850 there is no way to get to it without breaking the seal.
I also do not advise cleaning it yourself all kinds of thing can go wrong with that.

I’m not trying to be a smart Alec here, but you can easily remove that spot on any image using basic photo editing software. It’s literally a 20 second job, might be less hassle for you than sending it in for repairs.

Thanks Aaron yes I can easily remove it from photos but frame by frame from a video is a friggin nightmare lol I guess I will have to live with until I can send it in. As I take mostly photos I won't lose sleep over it.

Agreed on a video it’s a bigger issue.

I thought that premier pro or final cut had tools to remove such an issue for all frames. Maybe it was a plug-in I had read about. But without some tool it would be a friggin mess. I was looking at the issue only from stills shooting. If you shoot a lot of video it might be worth sending it to DJI as odds are they will just replace the camera and not try to clean it.

Paul C

Reactions: Droneflyers
Curious what the cost of cleaning is/was went sent in. I also have two spots and because I shoot video... well, I pretty much can't shoot right now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spawnn