DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spreading cremation remains via drone - need advice

Meaning no offense but would such a scattering of cremation remains be legal?
I'd also have serious concerns that quite a bit of the ash will be blown away, i.e. if you are sensitive to the matter, quite a bit of him could be 'lost'. There is a lot of dust in my Dad's ashes. If your parents' house has other houses nearby the residents of those houses may have serious reservations about cremation dust landing on them or their property etc.
Not legal in NY.

I have a Mavic Air 2, and I want to spread my brothers remains over my parents house where we grew up. I'm new to drone flying, so I'm not sure what I want to do is possible.
I was thinking of attaching a small plastic grocery bag to the drone. Inside the bag will be another grocery bag that will contain the remains and some glitter. This inner bag will be close so that the remains won't be blown around during takeoff. Both bags will have a hole in it to allow the remains to exit. The inner bag will have a piece of tape covering the hole, and the tape is connected to a string.
So that when the drone reaches a certain height, it will pull on the tape to release his remains.
My problem. If these bags cover my bottom sensors, is my drone unable to fly. I don't know if GPS needs them or not. Do I need to disable obstacle avoidance? I assume, yes.
The flight itself is restricted to a small area. I was hoping to flying a circle around my parents house.

Just turn off all of the Obstacle Avoidance and you should be good to go.

Be SUPER COGNIZANT of the string. If it barely nicks ANY of the props, it'll drop that bird like a bad habit.

D

Meaning no offense but would such a scattering of cremation remains be legal?
I'd also have serious concerns that quite a bit of the ash will be blown away, i.e. if you are sensitive to the matter, quite a bit of him could be 'lost'. There is a lot of dust in my Dad's ashes. If your parents' house has other houses nearby the residents of those houses may have serious reservations about cremation dust landing on them or their property etc.
Must say I have heard of ashes scattered in fireworks, loaded into shotgun or artillery shells etc. Rules likely depend on who knows about it!

; pour petrol over the drone and bags. Take off. Set it alight. Put full up throttle and keep going. The drone and bags should be well alight, and quite high, before the drone gives up and plummets to earth. It will spread the ashes all over, and make great footage also.

Reactions: Flycaster
I have a Mavic Air 2, and I want to spread my brothers remains over my parents house where we grew up. I'm new to drone flying, so I'm not sure what I want to do is possible.
I was thinking of attaching a small plastic grocery bag to the drone. Inside the bag will be another grocery bag that will contain the remains and some glitter. This inner bag will be close so that the remains won't be blown around during takeoff. Both bags will have a hole in it to allow the remains to exit. The inner bag will have a piece of tape covering the hole, and the tape is connected to a string.
So that when the drone reaches a certain height, it will pull on the tape to release his remains.
My problem. If these bags cover my bottom sensors, is my drone unable to fly. I don't know if GPS needs them or not. Do I need to disable obstacle avoidance? I assume, yes.
The flight itself is restricted to a small area. I was hoping to flying a circle around my parents house.
Excellent thought....... don’t ask, just do it. At sunrise or sunset would be nice ??

I'm sorry for your loss.
With the plastic bag route; please be aware that, when empty, the bag mag flop around and get caught in the rotors, with obvious results...
Cheers Joost

You can do anything you want with the cremains of relatives, You can disperse them almost anywhere, lakes, mountains, forests, rivers, anywhere.
Just don't do the dispersing in a populated area, like Disneyland, which a lot of folks do.
I would like you said, have "the person" in a bag(s), and you can attach a piece of tape ot something to the bag, and have the other end attached to a fishing rod/line.
When you get to your target alt. 75/100 feet? just give a tug on the fishing line/rod,
and the dispersal should begin.

Good Luck...
No longer on the beach in the waves. Rule past in 2015 remains must be three miles off shore. I did it anyway with my sister. There are no creation police. You can spread them on your private property anywhere.

; pour petrol over the drone and bags. Take off. Set it alight. Put full up throttle and keep going. The drone and bags should be well alight, and quite high, before the drone gives up and plummets to earth. It will spread the ashes all over, and make great footage also.
Ah, the Viking route....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15