DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stainless steel magnetic interference

Danielcarrot

Reactions
Without sounding daft, would stainless steel create magnetic interference on the compass, with it not being magnetic?

Depends on the quality of the stainless steel.....some will actually hold a magnet. I could see a problem not related to the compass, reflectivity. Safe bet is staying away from all metal objects, you never know what's hidden behind that SS. My experience with a compass comes from old school land navigation, I'm still learning the Mavic....and I know it's sensitive to its environment.
Curious...why do you ask?

Depends on the quality of the stainless steel.....some will actually hold a magnet. I could see a problem not related to the compass, reflectivity. Safe bet is staying away from all metal objects, you never know what's hidden behind that SS. My experience with a compass comes from old school land navigation, I'm still learning the Mavic....and I know it's sensitive to its environment.
Curious...why do you ask?

80f6ddd71ce11f9a395c38da722226a6.jpg

Ok, I'll bite....what is it? Launch platform or something? Nice craftsmanship

Sorry I’m new to this forum, I did comment but don’t know what happened. It’s a fishing thing I’m trialling, completely forgot about the whole magnetic interference thing whilst I was making it. I’ll post a photo in an hour or so to show what it is [emoji1303]

I once tried to land on a seaside platform that had a SS fence on three sides and the Mavic went mental.

Most stainless steel (ferritic) contain large amounts of iron. So yes, it'll screw up a compass massively.

Most Stainless steels are 316, 317 and 304 grade and are Annealed austenitic stainless steels which are non magnetic.
There is not a lot of Ferritic and martensitic stainless steels in use or about that would have any magnetic effect on our Mavics.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karthikeyan103