DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Launching drone from large steel charter boat

Dronerock

Reactions
I am aboard a large steel charter boat heading out to sea to sail around islands ( Abrolhos Islandd) 60 km off the W.Australian coast.
I have with me my Mini4 drone which I am not sure of its ability to overcome the magnetic influence on its compas sensors.
Could knowledgable members indicate if this large steel vessel is going to adversely affect the control of the drone when anchored. I am particularly concerned about returning the drone to its launch site on the vessel

Yes, Magnetic interference can compromise the Compass, so being fully aware of that is a plus.

I would not write it off yet, you may be able to find a spot on the boat where you will be able to take off, be sure to watch the controller for any warnings as they are quick at times. Don't watch the Drone at take off.

Landing the drone will be less likely affected by the boat but easily has its challenges.

One last tip is to make something like this below as it has a lot of advantages on the boat.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Reactions: mavic3usa
I am aboard a large steel charter boat heading out to sea to sail around islands ( Abrolhos Islandd) 60 km off the W.Australian coast.
I have with me my Mini4 drone which I am not sure of its ability to overcome the magnetic influence on its compas sensors.
Could knowledgable members indicate if this large steel vessel is going to adversely affect the control of the drone when anchored. I am particularly concerned about returning the drone to its launch site on the vessel
You will need to hand launch and catch and you'll need to practise that on land before trying it on the boat.
Don't power on with the drone on the deck or any steel, do it in your hand a metre or more from steel parts of the boat..

Do not let RTH autoland your drone.
Boats at anchor drift around and the homepoint recorded at startup might not be where the boat is when you want to come back.
Fly the drone back yourself rather than relying on automated RTH.

If you are thinking of flying while the boat is under way, be warned that bringing the drone in will be harder than you might imagine and make sure you have plenty of battery, because you will probably have to make several attempts.

Last edited: