DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State Farm for coverage

I've found that if one agent said they don't have coverage, to shop around with different SF agents. No all know of the availability. I'm in NY.
Thanks

That’s not rigth , I have my mm, m2p and my ma2 with SF for $78 all three in Los Angeles California

I'm fairly certain that this is not correct...even if it were true how would you pay $78 for coverage on ALL THREE?

I personally called State Farm and they said that drones were not covered in their PAP for California. There are also multiple discussions on this very forum about how it is not available in California.

Here are a few other sources if you don't believe me:

Coverage is NOT Available Everywhere

If you a drone pilot in California, you are out of luck. State Farm Drone Insurance is not available in the state of California.
State Farm Drone Insurance Policy – Should You Buy It? - Drone U™

NOTE: State Farm does not currently offer PAP insurance in California.

State Farm Drone Insurance

I've found that if one agent said they don't have coverage, to shop around with different SF agents. No all know of the availability. I'm in NY.
I agree, shop around. Insurance Companies are supervised by the state government, so rules, rates, and availability may vary state to state.

This is not necessarily the facts. Making a claim on a personal articles policy may make your homeowners rates increase, but that is not a definitive formula. There are many factors that go into how an insurance company calculates the rates. Claims are only one factor. Also, if any rates are increased due to a claim, that is calculated in your rate as a separate % once the base rate is calculated. Then if that is your only claim, the claim only creates a rate increase for 2 years, not for the life of the policy.
I speak from experience. I am a licensed insurance agent and have quoted countless homeowners policies. Also, I have my drones and other computer equipment insured with State Farm. And that is the only policy I have with SF. I had a crash with my drone and made a claim. My homeowners policy did not increase, my State Farm policy did not cancel nor go up in rate, and I added my replacement drone onto the policy immediately upon purchase. The point is, every situation is different and cannot be made with a blanket statement.

There is a blanket statement in insurance though. If you file claims, your rate will go up. This doesn’t change with a personal articles policy.

What i’m saying is accurate. True, it’s not happening 100% of the time. However, more likely than not, it is what will happen to the average consumer. More claims results in higher rates. That’s just how it goes.

I insured with State Farm last year for $33/yr. Upon renewal, the rate climbed to $75/yr. This, they said, was the minimum rate for a PAP. From the discussion here, sounds like the rate varies from state to state, from agent to agent. No consistency. I'm in WA state (US). Since I have an M2P with the fly more option, it's a good deal still.

Yes, I have State Farm too. But, I also paid for the DJI Refresh. Why? Because if it's a crash and I can recover the drone, I'd rather have DJI pay out and take care of it because once you file a claim with State Farm they will either cancel you personal property coverage, or, jack your rate way up. So, I'm leaving them as a last resort to file a claim if the drone is lost, stolen, etc.
This is exactly what I did for the exact same reasons. My policy with SF was $60 a year as that was the minimum. hope to not have to use it and just use DJI Refresh for any damages so long as it is recoverable.

Reactions: Nonprophet
odd I'm not 107, but they never asked and seems odd what that would have to do with a PAP.

Yes I imagine there are many with 107 that are covered. The PAP is not designed to be used for business equipment though.

I insured with State Farm last year for $33/yr. Upon renewal, the rate climbed to $75/yr. This, they said, was the minimum rate for a PAP. From the discussion here, sounds like the rate varies from state to state, from agent to agent. No consistency. I'm in WA state (US). Since I have an M2P with the fly more option, it's a good deal still.

Yes the rate provided is going to change based on many factors.

Just curious which state you are in - I called one SF agent and was told they didn't offer insurance for a drone ?
Some agents are not familiar with SF drone insurance.The 1st one I called wa snot but the second knew the whole procedure including Facetiming me to see drone+serial #

I'm fairly certain that this is not correct...even if it were true how would you pay $78 for coverage on ALL THREE?

I personally called State Farm and they said that drones were not covered in their PAP for California. There are also multiple discussions on this very forum about how it is not available in California.

Here are a few other sources if you don't believe me:

State Farm Drone Insurance Policy – Should You Buy It? - Drone U™

State Farm Drone Insurance
My SF policy for $75 covers up to $6000.

I have 45 years of experience in my life in Mgmt and as an agent for SF. I know that the co does not have a "standard practice" of raising rates on PAP (Personal Articles Policy). Each decision to cancel coverage is based on the "frequency and severity" of claims filed by a policy holder. Each one is evaluated by underwriting and the agent has the ability to appeal cancellations. So if you have many claims, you are likely to be cancelled. Also, they look at the "supporting business" they have with you, i.e. autos, home, and other policy types, Life Ins. etc. Actually I am amazed that they offer this policy to drone owners. I have had claims, most recently, I broke the screen of the laptop and I was paid within just a few days, less than a week. I have not been cancelled nor had my rates increased. Also, I remind you that the policy does not cover "mechanical failures", unless the failure resuts in an insured type of loss.
Since you chose to reply to the guy who claimed to have gotten his drones covered by SF in CA and you are with SF in CA, can you please address the issue of availability of SF drone coverage in CA? No one else has every gotten drone coverage in CA through SF. Why does SF uniquely not offer this policy in CA? If they do, why is everyone being told they don't?

Reactions: kjcbid54
Yes I imagine there are many with 107 that are covered. The PAP is not designed to be used for business equipment though.
there's a difference between being part 107 and having the drone be business equipment. I know in a lot of cases that may be the case but not always. If I ran a real business and had a drone for that business I'd want a drone that was for personal use also.

there's a difference between being part 107 and having the drone be business equipment. I know in a lot of cases that may be the case but not always. If I ran a real business and had a drone for that business I'd want a drone that was for personal use also.

I understand what you are saying, but it can still be a basis for denial of a claim.

Since you chose to reply to the guy who claimed to have gotten his drones covered by SF in CA and you are with SF in CA, can you please address the issue of availability of SF drone coverage in CA? No one else has every gotten drone coverage in CA through SF. Why does SF uniquely not offer this policy in CA? If they do, why is everyone being told they don't?

It’s my understanding that State Farm’s PAP has a cut out for drones in California. If anyone has a recent copy of their policy and wants to forward it to me, I can tell you if it actually covers drones or not.

In regards to more in-depth information on how the insurance works and on coverages in general, Drone U wrote a nice piece last year. It’s already a tad out dated but it’s still a really good read.

It’s my understanding that State Farm’s PAP has a cut out for drones in California. If anyone has a recent copy of their policy and wants to forward it to me, I can tell you if it actually covers drones or not.
By "cut out," do you mean exclusion?

I emailed my SF agent in NYC the MA2 serial number and he added it to my renters policy under PAP. Minimum was $60.

He explained that if there is a claim it will not affect my auto policy nor my renters policy premium. Unless, I rent a different apartment it may affect the renter’s only, but not auto.
Renters policy is super cheap, so I’m not concerned.

Hope it makes sense.

I debated if I should get DJIs coverage or not vs State Farm as I waited for my MA2 to arrive. I’m really glad I chose State Farm, they quoted me at 20 dollars a year for just over 1000 coverage on my set up. I’m sure it was that cheap because I’ve been a customer for 25 years and already have my wife’s ring on a PAP.

I thought I’d share for anyone debating if it’s worth it, especially if an existing customer.
Are you flying under part 107 commercially?

A lot of times they add the drone to your home owners policy and after your first claim for drone you get cancelled and now you have no home owner policy.

In NYS, State Farm will not cover you for part 107 pilots period.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillesdeColombes