DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State Farm Mavic Insurance

Just got back from stopping by my agent. $60/yr in New York. Paid in full.

Now...should I add refresh and go for the crazy shots without a care in the world....hmmmm?

Just got back from stopping by my agent. $60/yr in New York. Paid in full.

Now...should I add refresh and go for the crazy shots without a care in the world....hmmmm?

Mind telling us your agent's name/number?...I'd like to speak to him/her about insuring my drones

Thanks!

Called a local State Farm Insurance representative and they gave me a flat, "No." I have a different insurance company for my homeowner's policy so I called them; they're looking into it.

-Mavic Pro owner in Honolulu, Hawaii

I got a go from Ray in the Bay Ridge Brooklyn State Farm office. It's a personal articles policy. $60.oo for $1000 of insurance. I have to provide him with receipt. He took pix of the serial # and item itself. He specified it's for under 55lbs and not commercial. He made clear to say it's not a liability policy, only a replacement of the item. I'll see him Saturday.

The # 718-238-4020. Last Saturday he told me someone else asked for the same type of insurance on a drone.

Now he said he wants one, his wife was there giving him the evil eye. Then I showed her some pictures and video and she was more into it then.

vsk

Last edited:
Reactions: ghedgepath
I followed up with an actual SF agent (one that issued several policies in Orlando to users on the DJI forums). I asked her for (and received) permission to post her comments. Here's her latest:

A personal articles policy (PAP) policy is considered a “fire” policy. Under the fire category is home, PAP, and inland marine policies. If there is a claim on any of these policies, it is recorded in Lexus Nexus and does affect your future rating if you intend to get any of those policies started as new business.

With State Farm (I can’t speak for other companies) if you do a PAP claim during a time where you have an existing home policy, it will not affect your rate. As I mentioned before, however, if you start a new home policy, it does have the potential to affect that.

Any claim on any property policy could be considered during underwriting for rating purposes by any carrier, so it’s no different than having an auto claim and then shopping your auto policy after.
So, if you're the kind of person that stays loyal to your home/auto insurer, and you have no intention of 'shopping' for best rates, then a loss claim on the MP would likely NOT affect your rates. However, if you change to a new insurer after having filed a claim, then it likely WILL affect your rates as the new insurer won't have the history and confidence in your risk profile.

Bottom line: There is no free lunch.
This is exactly what my Insurance agent stated when I asked if Farmers had such a policy (they don't). Additionally, if you were to move homes and needed a new HO policy for the new residence, this could affect your premiums even if staying with the same company.

I swore off State Farm like almost 30 years ago, from a very bad experience as a teenager, but this policy just looks too good, not to take advantage of.

I called one of the local State Farm agents, the guy new what a PAP policy was, and said that he had someone else ask about one yesterday for a drone, told me that I had to have other coverage with them to get it, wanted my home and auto business. I told him no that I just wanted a standalone policy, he said that the underwriter said no, but to come in, he may be able to get it to work, or would at least try.

I came in the same day, he kept pushing me to buy other insurance, and that I won't be able to get this policy otherwise, but finally said, sure I'll write it up, we can try.

Then starts talking about the high risk, and why would SF want to take this risk when I'm not an existing customer, I told him this wasn't liability coverage, and I've been flying for 5 years, own 13 multi-rotors, and 3 planes, and fly professionally, Company issued UAS, and regardless, either SF insures these or they don't, there isn't a risk assessment to be made, then he says well paying $100 a year for $1,000 drone is high risk for SF, maybe not for me, but for others. I told him, no it should be $60 for $3,000, and only California was excluded. This conversation, had got me rather heated, and I was getting pissed, was close to leaving. I told him I already knew what the policy entailed, and that it was fast becoming a popular policy with other hobbyists.

He finally starts the paperwork, I brought in receipts and asked to insure my Mavic, P3P, and a Nikon.

He calls a number, gives his agent ID, and, tells me yes, its $60, then was on hold for a minute, and asks me, how much of a deductible did I want, I was like WTF, its $60 regardless if the policy has any deductible, then he tells me, ya, your right, just that SF likes to have a deductible so that the insured has some "skin in the game", I'm like, ya no deductible, what am I, a moron. Gives me the conditions, under 55 lb, for personal use, etc, told me yest they don't do drone PAP policies in CA, which I had already told him, were the conditions.

I paid for the policy, and was insured same day, then he concludes with more pushing for my home/auto business, I told him I would consider it... NOT, lol, I used to have a wonderful agent in my home state of Illinois, who always looked after his customers, over that of the insurance company, this guy is exactly the opposite, and full of crap, I'm sure there may be some good descent SF agents, just not the guy I talked to, but I am happy to have my policy, and some peace of mind.

Emailed my SF agent and she researched it and got back with me today. My total investment with all of the extra accessories is about $1700. One of by big concerns that no one has addressed is theft. If some one breaks in your house or vehicle and steals it, what good is Refresh or most 3rd party insurances? Refresh does not pay if you don't have the drone, plus you must pay the deductibles.
Bottom line is for $60 a year my drone and all accessories is covered for loss, theft, or damage with no deductible. That's $5 per month for a lot of no worries.The policy is very clear and the process was easy. Just had to send a pic of the model and serial number. My agent says a claim that small would not affect my homeowners or auto policies because this is a separate policy that stands on it's own. This is a no brainer for me anyway.

Yea all these people posting in this thread about the doom and gloom of insuring a drone and how it will raise your policy is laughable! For $60 a year they will cut you a check for the full replacement cost is such a no brainer! And even if it did effect someones policy just how much? Not nearly enough for the piece of mind that the drones are covered!

Reactions: partsman59
I followed up with an actual SF agent (one that issued several policies in Orlando to users on the DJI forums). I asked her for (and received) permission to post her comments. Here's her latest:

A personal articles policy (PAP) policy is considered a “fire” policy. Under the fire category is home, PAP, and inland marine policies. If there is a claim on any of these policies, it is recorded in Lexus Nexus and does affect your future rating if you intend to get any of those policies started as new business.

With State Farm (I can’t speak for other companies) if you do a PAP claim during a time where you have an existing home policy, it will not affect your rate. As I mentioned before, however, if you start a new home policy, it does have the potential to affect that.

Any claim on any property policy could be considered during underwriting for rating purposes by any carrier, so it’s no different than having an auto claim and then shopping your auto policy after.
So, if you're the kind of person that stays loyal to your home/auto insurer, and you have no intention of 'shopping' for best rates, then a loss claim on the MP would likely NOT affect your rates. However, if you change to a new insurer after having filed a claim, then it likely WILL affect your rates as the new insurer won't have the history and confidence in your risk profile.

Bottom line: There is no free lunch.

I am a licensed agent with a major insurance carrier and agree 100% with this. If you have a home policy with a different insurer elsewhere, and make a claim on your $60 State Farm personal articles policy on your drone, it will be reported to two main databases: LexisNexis and a Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange (CLUE) database which most insurers base their quotes upon.

These claims stay on those databases for 10 years, although most insurers will only use a three year It *probably* won't affect your existing home insurance policy because they typically don't periodically run those reports while a policy is active. However, if a company remaps you to a new underwriting company (most major insurers are made up of many smaller local and regional carriers that fall under the one big carrier's name), or if your policy was cancelled and reinstated, they might re-run those reports and use any personal article claims against you.

There are two ways that a claim can affect your rate: Tiering and Surcharging. Simplified, Tiering is a base rate range based on your initial risk profile. If you shop for a new insurance policy, those personal article claims (such as drone insurance) will be used against you, leading to a much higher tier (and even result in denial of insurance). A higher tier placement can increase the rate by hundreds of dollars more each year on a policy. In addition to the tier, those claims will then be surcharged - which is a second way of increasing a premium based on previous claims history - also potentially increasing the rate by hundreds of dollars.

Simply put, your current home policy carrier will likely never run the reports to see that you've had a recent personal articles claim; but if they did, they would likely surcharge your policy, but not re-tier the policy. This means the the current home policy premium would have a minimal to moderate increase in premium.

However, if you do shop for a new home insurer later on, they will both tier AND surcharge, leading to a significantly higher quote premium.

Just wanted to elaborate on the mechanics of how it worked and to confirm that Erkme73's information is accurate.

@Adrienne, thanks for taking the time to spell this out with such detail. I've been trying to add the simplified version to the literally dozens of threads on this very issue - but other than sounding like a broken record, I think it has fallen mostly on deaf ears.

The simple fact remains that insurance companies don't write $60 policies on $1000 items from a sense of charity. One claim, and you've given the insurance industry a gift - an excuse to charge you more for the next 10 years.

Reactions: Adrienne
Yes! The State Farm policy is a really good policy - but there is that catch that many people don't realize. It's great in the sense that you only have to pay $60 a year, and don't have a deductible. However, if you make a claim on it - it'll definitely affect your home and renters insurance quotes for the next few years and you'll have to hope that your current insurer doesn't find out about it.

It is a property and casualty personal articles floater which, as you said, falls under a 'fire insurance' product. It's much different than consumer insurance policies such as DJI Care, Squaretrade, or Applecare+ where it's difficult or unlikely for the company to hold claims history against you.

That said, I'm not trying to talk people out of the policy, but just to be aware of the consequences of a claim.

@Adrienne, thanks for taking the time to spell this out with such detail. I've been trying to add the simplified version to the literally dozens of threads on this very issue - but other than sounding like a broken record, I think it has fallen mostly on deaf ears.

The simple fact remains that insurance companies don't write $60 policies on $1000 items from a sense of charity. One claim, and you've given the insurance industry a gift - an excuse to charge you more for the next 10 years.

Yes! The State Farm policy is a really good policy - but there is that catch that many people don't realize. It's great in the sense that you only have to pay $60 a year, and don't have a deductible. However, if you make a claim on it - it'll definitely affect your home and renters insurance quotes for the next few years and you'll have to hope that your current insurer doesn't find out about it.

It is a property and casualty personal articles floater which, as you said, falls under a 'fire insurance' product. It's much different than consumer insurance policies such as DJI Care, Squaretrade, or Applecare+ where it's difficult or unlikely for the company to hold claims history against you.

That said, I'm not trying to talk people out of the policy, but just to be aware of the consequences of a claim.

Totally agree with said.
I get insurance "In Case" and of course would not intend on a claim but if the unexpected happens that's why it's there.
The same with any insurance on anything, if you file a claim or claims, your premiums are probably going up next renewal or change you make but with that said I still want the protection.
It's a chance either way. Don't get insurance and if the unexpected happens your out $1000. Get insurance and if you file a claim, get a replacement, get back in the air and pay later.
They will always get you one way or the other. Lol

Totally agree with said.
I get insurance "In Case" and of course would not intend on a claim but if the unexpected happens that's why it's there.
The same with any insurance on anything, if you file a claim or claims, your premiums are probably going up next renewal or change you make but with that said I still want the protection.
It's a chance either way. Don't get insurance and if the unexpected happens your out $1000. Get insurance and if you file a claim, get a replacement, get back in the air and pay later.
They will always get you one way or the other. Lol

The problem is, if your rates are tiered up by $300/yr (or more) for the next 10 years, it's pretty easy to see that it makes little economic sense. If you're a life-long customer of a given insurance company, you probably have no expectation of rate increases - but if you shop around or get canceled for any reason, that higher premium is in effect.

The important takeaway from my perspective is how this information from @Adrienne (and the SF agent I contacted in Orlando) flies directly in the face of what people are posting here. How many times has someone posted that their agent assured them their rates would not be affected? Either their agents are woefully ignorant, or outright deceptive. Insurance companies love small claims that they can use to bump their (potential) customers into the next higher premium bracket. And since all insurers work off of the same rating databases, they are in effect colluding to make sure everyone with such piddly claims starts at the higher rates when quoting.

Look, if this policy is what's needed to get you flying confidently, then there is an intangible value to the policy. However, for so many to be told that there is little or no risk with filing a claim, is simply not true.

Reactions: Mavicsailor

Thank you for the Info...

That is incorrect and actually illegal - call another agent. I have an agent in the Dallas area.
Hello, could you please share with me your agents informaiton? I am in Arlington and keep getting the run around and denied coverage for my Mavic pro.

I have read a lot about different insurance options and elected to buy the Asurion plan because for 2 years for 149 because it would repair or replace the drone with no deductible and thought that was better then the DJI refresh at $99 plus 79 dollars for first and more for the second.

The only concern with the above 2 was the fact that it didn't cover against fly aways or if it decided to go swimming in the water and not come up. I so happened to talk to a fellow Mavic owner near me yesterday and he said he bought a State Farm Policy for $30 dollars a year and it covers the full value against theft, accidents, losing it you name it. I called Asurion and cancelled that through Amazon really easily and called State Farm today and the first agent was clueless and didn't know anything. I called another one and they quickly took my information, I paid the 30 dollars and now I am covered. They emailed me the policy and it was super quick and easy. Side note, I have no policies with State Farm and I am in Virginia.

The key words you want to say are a Personal Articles Application for a drone. The lady I used is Shannon Jordan at 757.480.0033 if you have any questions.

Good info!! Thx!!

Appreciate the info!

So what do you personally do and what would you suggest in my situation?

Just purchased a mavic. It arrived yesterday. I haven't flown it and want to get some kind of coverage

While I completely understand having property/liability insurance in case the **** thing falls on someone's car or injures them personally I don't get insuring something that would cost about $750USD to replace. The way insurance rates go that little claim will make you a risk which raises rates.

Now if we were talking about an Inspire 2 or a Matrice series I could see it but for a Mavic it strikes me as overkill.

One note on this, they do not cover for commercial activity. So if you are a Part 107 pilot, as far as my agent told me, you are not eligible for this coverage unless you have separate drones that you use for hobby and commercial flights.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki