DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State Farm said no!

So I've found when call an agent and say "I want to insure my drone" they say no wayyyyyyyy. State Farm in California doesn't insure them no matter what.

HOWEVER, if you have home owners insurance you can get "Personal Property Insurance" for your Mavic. I called mine and said I want to insure MY CAMERA. He said sure.....What Make is it? Me: DJI Him: What model? Me: Mavic Pro Him: How much was it? Me: $1200
Him: Got it that'll be $16 a year Me: Great. I'm covered for LOSS, Theft, Dropping it etc. Him: Yes, anything else? Me: Nope that'll do, see ya.

LOL! what if he finds out that the thing fly?

Reactions: Blades
So I've found when call an agent and say "I want to insure my drone" they say no wayyyyyyyy. State Farm in California doesn't insure them no matter what.

HOWEVER, if you have home owners insurance you can get "Personal Property Insurance" for your Mavic. I called mine and said I want to insure MY CAMERA. He said sure.....What Make is it? Me: DJI Him: What model? Me: Mavic Pro Him: How much was it? Me: $1200
Him: Got it that'll be $16 a year Me: Great. I'm covered for LOSS, Theft, Dropping it etc. Him: Yes, anything else? Me: Nope that'll do, see ya.
Let me have his number and name please! I'm in Los Angeles and I cant find anything! Also please let me have your name so i'll tell h that you referred. Thanks.

Let me have his number and name please! I'm in Los Angeles and I cant find anything! Also please let me have your name so i'll tell h that you referred. Thanks.

I called the USAA toll free number and added to my home owners policy. But you must have USAA insurance.

Called my State Farm agent in Rockford, IL for drone insurance. After a few days of research he called back to say they cannot insure my drone. Then they dropped my business coverage! Turns out my call to inquire about drone coverage sent a SF underwriter to my website, where they saw I edit television commercials. That's too risky for them for some reason. Keep in mind I've had State Farm insurance on my business for 16 years. Not anymore.

I'm in TX. Care to share? Please :)
Sure - mine is a "Personal Articles Policy" "10. MISCELLANEOUS ARTICLES AS SCHEDULED" specifically for my Mavic. $1,400 of insurance for $60/year. It says, subject to the following forms and endorsements: FMP-4919.1, FE-4792, FE-5813, FE-5504.1, FE-3357, FE-5674, FE-7601.
They required a copy of the sales receipt. They would NOT also cover my GoPro Hero5 saying that underwriting considered it high liability for loss! It took me a month (three phone calls & a couple email) of explaining to them what the drone was and what a GoPro was. They initially would not cover both because they thought I was strapping my GoPro onto the drone. I sent them the URL to each product as well as photos so they could do research, but that didn't do any good - seems they are unwilling to actually do any research. My agent nearly lost a client with homeowners and three autos over getting this insurance. They refunded my initial payment and it wasn't until I received that in the mail and called, very hot under the collar, to find out why it was returned. After the last discussion they contacted their underwriter once again. That is when they finally decided they would cover the drone and not the GoPro, asking for the $60 back!

What do you mean AMA? Like American Motorcycle Association? If so I've got AMA and now wondering if I have coverage....?
LOL - I was wondering the same. All I could think of was the American Medical Association. But, in reading a bit further up, seems they mean ACADEMY OF MODEL AERONAUTICS - there is a link above. I HATE acronyms!

Reactions: entity-unknown
So has anyone tried to put in a claim with SF? Will they pay or give you a run around about not knowing that it was a quad when you try to replace a lost or damaged MP?

So has anyone tried to put in a claim with SF? Will they pay or give you a run around about not knowing that it was a quad when you try to replace a lost or damaged MP?
I can't imagine them trying that with me if I were to ever need to file a claim. I sent them photos of the product along with a URL to the DJI site showing and explaining what it is. I have this email with their reply, so they can't say they didn't know what it was.

LOL - I was wondering the same. All I could think of was the American Medical Association. But, in reading a bit further up, seems they mean ACADEMY OF MODEL AERONAUTICS - there is a link above. I HATE acronyms!
Acronyms are worse than assumptions these days.....

Reactions: shevlin
Call another. I have State Farm drone policy. It took calling several agents and finally one knew what it was. Evidently it's pretty new. If you're in TX I can share his info with you.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Hello I am in Texas as well, if you could share with me how you went about and got the insurance, i owuld really appreciate it. Currently getting the run around

Has anyone collected from AAA or other insurance company after losing their drone? What kind of proof of ownership and/or loss did they require?

I just added it to a personal articles policy. I have 2M in liability free from AMA. No deductible.

For everyone's info, the AMA insurance is secondary insurance, good only after homeowners insurance pays, and only for recreational use.
However, I still highly recommend joining the AMA.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven