DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stay away from clotheslines... Obviously!

blastississimo

Reactions
Hi everyone, I've been a lurker for a while and I'm so appreciative of the great information that is present here in the forums! Really a lot of great information gathered in one location. What a resource!

Posting today because I'm so pumped that my Mavic Pro Platinum arrived today. I broke it open and got it up in the air once everything was charged up!

During my second to last flight of the day, as I was flying it back and as I was passing under a line that I hook my dogs onto so they can roam without getting lost (or running away), a prop hit the line and took my Mavic down and onto the grass/dirt!

Thank god, it was only about a 4-foot drop which resulted in one tiny scratch on the rear right prop arm.

I ran to it, picked it up, brushed it off, and found that it was just the one tiny scratch that remained!

I took it back up into the air to test it out and make sure that everything was good, and it was!

I was wondering if anyone would provide suggestions on things to look out for after this experience/accident?

And also.... has anyone else here crashed their Mavic and found that it was super durable and was able to bring it back up without issues?

I've got DJI Care Refresh, which is perfect for this kind of scenario.... but I don't think I need to use it just yet!

Any guidance on this would be super appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!

I was wondering if anyone would provide suggestions on things to look out for after this experience/accident?
Here are some things to check:
  • Power on your Mavic and ensure the camera functions normally (e.g. you can see the picture in DJI GO & tilt it normally)
  • Inspect the props to make sure they are not damaged (change them if you see signs of damage)
  • Take it for a test flight and ensure it can hover in place and reacts as expected to your stick commands

Reactions: Hollow Dog
Hi everyone, I've been a lurker for a while and I'm so appreciative of the great information that is present here in the forums! Really a lot of great information gathered in one location. What a resource!

Posting today because I'm so pumped that my Mavic Pro Platinum arrived today. I broke it open and got it up in the air once everything was charged up!

During my second to last flight of the day, as I was flying it back and as I was passing under a line that I hook my dogs onto so they can roam without getting lost (or running away), a prop hit the line and took my Mavic down and onto the grass/dirt!

Thank god, it was only about a 4-foot drop which resulted in one tiny scratch on the rear right prop arm.

I ran to it, picked it up, brushed it off, and found that it was just the one tiny scratch that remained!

I took it back up into the air to test it out and make sure that everything was good, and it was!

And also.... has anyone else here crashed their Mavic and found that it was super durable and was able to bring it back up without issues?

I've got DJI Care Refresh, which is perfect for this kind of scenario.... but I don't think I need to use it just yet!

Any guidance on this would be super appreciated!
Howdy from Wyoming blastississimo, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Welcome to the forum!

Here are some things to check:
  • Power on your Mavic and ensure the camera functions normally (e.g. you can see the picture in DJI GO & tilt it normally)
  • Inspect the props to make sure they are not damaged (change them if you see signs of damage)
  • Take it for a test flight and ensure it can hover in place and reacts as expected to your stick commands

Thank you so much! I've gone through and performed all the functions as suggested in order to check functionality and all seems to be working as required. The camera has been functioning perfectly. The prop that hit the line has some wear but no dents or nics and I've replaced it. In terms of the test flight, it looks like it can hover in place but i'm also factoring how windy it is today :p

Commands are being executed as required!

Thank you so much!

The advice you are asking for is just common sense. When you fly remember that obstacle avoidance is only as good as the drone can "see." The drone is not invincible. Things like thin wires or some light branches can be missed by the drones sensors. The darker it gets the less it "sees." In an urban setting that means there are a whole lot of power lines and telephone wires stretched everywhere between high poles that you need to always be aware of. Remember that in Sports mode your sensors are off. Just always fly cautiously and you'll be fine.

Yes, scout the area you are going to fly first for HT lines, high tree branches that could be an issue, etc.
Unless in line of sight, don’t fly too low.

Good that your first crash didn’t seem to cause too much damage, one prop is lucky.

Always check your surroundings, I fly in positioning not even tried sports mode. Too much fun just playing!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Piason