DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stick vs Virtual Controls

Mark G

Reactions
Problem? I can't figure out how to control my Mavic Air with remote stick controls. It will only operate with virtual controls on phone screen.

Was unit in a crash? NO

What have you tried so far? moving sticks down and in, and down and out, and going through different screens on DJI GO4 app, etc. I can disengage the virtual controls on the app to move the camera, but the sticks do not work. I was only able to get the sticks to work once, inside my house, my second time using the MA, but not since taking it outside. I must have done something along the way to get the sticks to not respond, but I don't know what, and can't figure out how to correct.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? Samsung Note 3

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? No idea, but I did update it when prompted

What Go app version are you using? 4, I think

Any modification? No

Did you change anything or install any apps? No

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link) No

Have you attempted a stick calibration?

Have you attempted to toggle back to the rc joysticks using the on-screen icon?

Last edited:
Is the remote synced to the device. Make sure the wire is connected and choose wired connection.

Have you attempted a stick calibration?

Have you attempted to toggle back to the rc joysticks using the on-screen icon?

I don't know about stick calibrations. I will search the manuals for that and try it.

I'm not sure I know what that on-screen icon looks like. Do you have a picture of the on-screen icon? Or where on the screen it is located, what color it is, etc? I have looked for something to toggle, but the only thing I saw was a round joystick icon (green, I think) in the lower left corner of the screen, and when I toggle that off, the on-screen virtual controls are disabled, but the remote stick controls still do not work.

Its not showing up here, but someone responded with: "Have you switch the Mavic from WiFi to RC mode? there is a little switch in the compartment where the SD card is."

I have never messed with the SD card compartment, so I didn't know about this switch. I would rather be able to toggle back and forth on-screen, rather than having to use a manual switch on the drone itself. I guess I can try this if everything else fails.

It sounds like your Air is set to WiFi mode. This mode connects directly to your phone/tablet and does not use the remote. From page 39 of the Air manual:
upload_2018-6-26_9-52-27.png
...there is a little switch in the compartment where the SD card is."...
This switch is on the Mavic Pro, not the Air.

Reactions: Mark G
No sure. Have never tried this. What "wire" gets connected between remote and drone?

There isn’t one. It’s between the phone and the remote. Found under the left arm. It’s default is the lightning Connection.

I don't know about stick calibrations. I will search the manuals for that and try it.

I'm not sure I know what that on-screen icon looks like. Do you have a picture of the on-screen icon? Or where on the screen it is located, what color it is, etc? I have looked for something to toggle, but the only thing I saw was a round joystick icon (green, I think) in the lower left corner of the screen, and when I toggle that off, the on-screen virtual controls are disabled, but the remote stick controls still do not work.
Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 12.24.14 PM.png
That little guy at lower left. It is a 'toggle' between rc and wifi control.

This is the connector between your phone and the rc:

connect.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark G and Snapthis
Its not showing up here, but someone responded with: "Have you switch the Mavic from WiFi to RC mode? there is a little switch in the compartment where the SD card is."

I have never messed with the SD card compartment, so I didn't know about this switch. I would rather be able to toggle back and forth on-screen, rather than having to use a manual switch on the drone itself. I guess I can try this if everything else fails.
Sorry, that was me. I answered with that and then immediately deleted the post when I realized this was in the Air section.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+