DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 1 Still a newbie pilot

6 String Fan

Reactions
Hi folks!
I live in Southern Oregon but about 10 miles north of where the horrible fires devastated two towns nearby a couple months ago.
Fortunately things where I live are still intact and very pretty now that autumn has arrived.
I am still learning how to fly my Mini and learn how to take video too.
Yesterday I was experimenting to see what happens when I point to the sky, and then down to the ground, to watch the auto focus.
Thank god the little drone is stable. When I look at the monitor to view the data, and then look back up I still sometimes lose the drone for a few seconds.
So, I learned NOT to pan too much from the video I took...
I posted a short video to YouTube of footage I got in the Rogue Valley and also put on a recording of 'Sleepwalk' that I recorded a couple years ago.

Click the link if you're interested....Hope you like it!

@6 String Fan hi my fellow flyer moved your post to a more appropriate forum ,a great video as a newbie i am so glad you managed to miss those wires at the start ,agree with @THE CYBORG but that will come with practice

Thumbswayup A little constructive criticism, practice slower movements especially when you yaw so your video flows smoothly ;)
Thanks for the input. I believe that I had the controls on 'P' mode and should have switched it to 'C' which would slow the movements down for better video.

@6 String Fan hi my fellow flyer moved your post to a more appropriate forum ,a great video as a newbie i am so glad you managed to miss those wires at the start ,agree with @THE CYBORG but that will come with practice
Thanks 'old man' for moving my post...I'm kind of a newbie on this forum too...LOL...
So far the wires and trees haven't caused any problems but I'm trying to be cautious.
The only time I caught a prop on a weed was because my fixed wing RC experience told me to back stick 'elevator' which was, in fact, throttle down instead....oops...
Gotta remember to forward stick to rise on these things....

Reactions: old man mavic
Hi 6String Fan,
most is already said. Why you didn´t shoot in 2.7K? the image quality would be much better! only my two cents ;)
Actually I did shoot in higher resolution but when I posted on YouTube it rendered it down a bit in quality.
I'm a 'newbie' in uploading videos too, obviously.
The 'DaVinci Resolve' program that I used to edit the video runs kind of slow on my old PC too. I feel pretty clumsy trying to run such an elaborate program.
It's kind of like the guitar....I never stop learning new ways to play the thing.....So it is always entertaining....
Now I can't wait to fly and record some more footage to see if I have learned anything since my last flight.

Actually I did shoot in higher resolution but when I posted on YouTube it rendered it down a bit in quality.
The 'DaVinci Resolve' program that I used to edit the video runs kind of slow on my old PC too. I feel pretty clumsy trying to run such an elaborate program.
It's kind of like the guitar....I never stop learning new ways to play the thing.....So it is always entertaining....
Now I can't wait to fly and record some more footage to see if I have learned anything since my last flight.
Ah ok! Well that is really a problem if the computer is an old one! Never stop learning is a good option, and remember, no one is bor a master ;)
Concerning Youtube you can also upload 4k !
cheers Paul

Ok, folks....I tried another short video out, finding a better location this time. I went to 'Lithia Park' in Ashland, Oregon, 20 miles south of my previous shoot.
This time, I made sure that the video was on 'C' cinematic and then edited it in full resolution. When I uploaded to YouTube it took about 2 full hours to send it.
A better result than the first one. I'm amazed at how large the file is for a 3 minute video.
Open to more comments because I'm always looking to improve my footage.

You might also try 30 fps instead of 24. Have you checked the resolution from YouTube today? I was getting 1080@24fps today. Sometimes YouTube can be a bit slow on the upgraded resolution.

Open to more comments because I'm always looking to improve my footage.
Hello 6String-Fan,
I hope you don´t mind if I did a new editing on your video. I also made a color correction! The shots are smooth, but you should not change the direction during the flight (during recording) because the "stutters" doesn´t look good! When you pan -as at the beginning of your video- you should go very slow and regular.
It´s just a matter of practice and you will learn it! ;) I also did insert a title! If you don´t like it, that the video is now on my channel you can dowload it into a file on your computer! Or I can delete it!
BTW, how is your real name?

Cheers Paul
here is the edited video:

Reactions: 6 String Fan
Hello 6String-Fan,
I hope you don´t mind if I did a new editing on your video. I also made a color correction! The shots are smooth, but you should not change the direction during the flight (during recording) because the "stutters" doesn´t look good! When you pan -as at the beginning of your video- you should go very slow and regular.
It´s just a matter of practice and you will learn it! ;) I also did insert a title! If you don´t like it, that the video is now on my channel you can dowload it into a file on your computer! Or I can delete it!
BTW, how is your real name?

Cheers Paul
here is the edited video:

Greetings Paul,
I'm very happy to see that you added a graphic at the beginning....And how you also froze on me, the pilot at the end.
You're right about the 'stutters' too...And this is why I'm going out there and running this toy around to see what works and what doesn't.
Because I'm learning DaVinci Resolve at the same time, I'm spending quite a long time on the learning curve there too.
I believe that the default frame rate was 29.7 although if I remember right I shot the clips at 30....And I have no idea if that would cause further stuttering of the footage.
I wondered how long you took to edit my final? Probably just a few minutes I'm guessing.
Learning the tools of the Resolve, adding dissolves and the like and then removing them if it doesn't look right took a lot of time considering that the 'final' was only about 3 minutes long. I suppose that a more powerful graphics card could be added to operate it 'cuz moving about causes 'stutters' of it's own.
By the time I got something usable I was too tired to add titles and the like...Maybe the next time....
I'm not a videographer by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm a better one now than when I started...LOL...

My name is Carl. I migrated from the S.F. Bay Area in 2000, a 'born again Oregonian' and I having been living in Southern Oregon ever since.
It's rustic beauty around here, except for the ten mile stretch that were devasted by the wild fires that wiped out the towns of Talent and Phoenix in early September.
Now Germany....That's a place on my 'bucket list' of places to visit...My ancestors are from there. I see that you reside there.
My name, Metzger, doesn't get much more german than that does it?
I dabble in amateur 'still' photography just for fun, and my real passion is acoustic and electric guitar playing rock, blues, and country stuff.
I once upon a time was a sailplane pilot but I couldn't keep up with the cost of flying...But there are sure of lot of gliders where you live....
Paul, thanks for your help....Please keep it posted if you like. I'm happy that you took the time to play around with it and show me some tricks.
Carl '6 String Fan'

Greetings Paul,
I'm very happy to see that you added a graphic at the beginning....And how you also froze on me, the pilot at the end.
Good morning Carl,
you´r very welcome! Thank you very much for all the interesting infos about you and you problems...Resolve is a rather sophisticated sofware and one has to stay brave and sticky to learn all the stuff! It´s not really easy in the beginning! I also got daVinci 16 but my first editing software is EDIUS 8.5 I am with Edius since the beginning about 25 Yeras ago and by now I can play around with the software without any problems :) Your video took me about 20 minutes to re-edit and it was a pleasure for me, first of all it was a pleasure to show you how one can improve a video. Remember: no one is born a master!
Concerning the frame rate: If you shoot in 30fps you simply have to edit it with the same frame rate in Resolve! If you do it like that there will be any problems!
I never was in Oregon, but I know that you have so many fantastic landscapes/places there, much more interesting than here in Germany!
Do you have videos about you playing guitar? I´ts one of my favourite instrument, but unfortunately I can´t play it! I am and was a devotee of THE SHADOWS and other guitar bands!
I saw on TV what happened in the states concerning the evil fires, it´s really disastrous and a very sad story!
We have a small airfield nearby from where i live. They do quite a lot of sailplane!
Yes, I reside in southern Germany 35km west of the City of Augsburg. But I am a Swissman and I came here in Germany 15 Years ago.
BTW, my english is not perfect because I am a german speaking Swissman;)
If you have any questions about video shooting feel free to ask!

have a nice day and cheers
Paul

Good morning Carl,
you´r very welcome! Thank you very much for all the interesting infos about you and you problems...Resolve is a rather sophisticated sofware and one has to stay brave and sticky to learn all the stuff! It´s not really easy in the beginning! I also got daVinci 16 but my first editing software is EDIUS 8.5 I am with Edius since the beginning about 25 Yeras ago and by now I can play around with the software without any problems :) Your video took me about 20 minutes to re-edit and it was a pleasure for me, first of all it was a pleasure to show you how one can improve a video. Remember: no one is born a master!
Concerning the frame rate: If you shoot in 30fps you simply have to edit it with the same frame rate in Resolve! If you do it like that there will be any problems!
I never was in Oregon, but I know that you have so many fantastic landscapes/places there, much more interesting than here in Germany!
Do you have videos about you playing guitar? I´ts one of my favourite instrument, but unfortunately I can´t play it! I am and was a devotee of THE SHADOWS and other guitar bands!
I saw on TV what happened in the states concerning the evil fires, it´s really disastrous and a very sad story!
We have a small airfield nearby from where i live. They do quite a lot of sailplane!
Yes, I reside in southern Germany 35km west of the City of Augsburg. But I am a Swissman and I came here in Germany 15 Years ago.
BTW, my english is not perfect because I am a german speaking Swissman;)
If you have any questions about video shooting feel free to ask!

have a nice day and cheers
Paul
Paul,
I don't have a video but I DO have a home recording of 'Apache' which was the Shadows biggest hit. I learned a version by 'Jorgen Ingram' first, and then heard Hank Marvin's later....So MY rendition used elements of both those recordings....
Just like my videos....I'm not an expert studio recording master either.
I used an 8 track and added sequencer drums and bass to 'round it out'.
I cannot upload the audio as this website doesn't allow that kind of attachment. If you have an email address contact me via
[email protected]
and I'll shoot it off to you that way.

don't have a video but I DO have a home recording of 'Apache' which was the Shadows biggest hit. I learned a version by 'Jorgen Ingram' first, and then heard Hank Marvin's later....So MY rendition used elements of both those recordings....
Just like my videos....I'm not an expert studio recording master either.
I used an 8 track and added sequencer drums and bass to 'round it out'.
I cannot upload the audio as this website doesn't allow that kind of attachment. If you have an email address contact me via
[email protected]
and I'll shoot it off to you that way.
Hi Carl,
Oh, Jörgen Ingman was a great guitarist! It seems that you have nice audio stuff! My favourite from the Shadows is still Apache :) Thumbswayup I would be very pleased if you send me some files!
I send you my eMail adress at once! See you in a moment! cheers Paul

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
Not bad for a newbe, here is something to check out on Mavic Help and Mavic tips. 75 tips on how to prevent crashs and fly aways. Fly SAFE.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54