DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stone Thrower!

Icelandman

Reactions
The other day I was flying my drone here in Iceland and I was bringing it into land well away from people when I saw a man stoop down, pick up a stone and throw it at my Mavic 2 Pro! I asked him what his problem was and he said: "I thought you were taking a photo of me". I was angry, to say the least, and replied: "so as you have a camera pointed in my general direction it must be ok for me to throw a stone at the lens". He did not reply and walked off with his rather drunk girlfriend! Anyone else had similar problems?

Reactions: mereflyer and MKurr
I only hope I can muster the same constraint as you sir Thumbswayup

Never had that problem thankfully.
Had a mildly drunk person at a beach once come up and start talking to me about he drone.
Was wary, but nothing happened, I spoke briefly with him then moved away to allow me to finish the flight safely.
Well done with your reply and handling the situation well I think.

The other day I was flying my drone here in Iceland and I was bringing it into land well away from people when I saw a man stoop down, pick up a stone and throw it at my Mavic 2 Pro! I asked him what his problem was and he said: "I thought you were taking a photo of me". I was angry, to say the least, and replied: "so as you have a camera pointed in my general direction it must be ok for me to throw a stone at the lens". He did not reply and walked off with his rather drunk girlfriend! Anyone else had similar problems?
I would say a good percentage of people would be curious and want to ask you questions about drones and how you fly them. But this would not be likely in a crowd of people. I’ve experienced mostly good vibes and folks just wanting to ask me questions. These are in fact pretty cool flying machines.

Reactions: Icelandman
I get almost all positive reactions and then ooh and ahhs when I show them the image on the Ipad.Recently a woman in her 70's said as she was walking by"I hate those things and don't know what they are"(huh?).Knowing I wouldn't get a positive reaction+didn't I offered her a look on the screen.As she went by me in her car she gave me the finger.There's always one!

I would say a good percentage of people would be curious and want to ask you questions about drones and how you fly them. But this would not be likely in a crowd of people. I’ve experienced mostly good vibes and folks just wanting to ask me questions. These are in fact pretty cool flying machines.
Agreed. Most people come and ask to have a look at what I am seeing!

I'm not sure how I would react. If the rock had actually struck my drone, I just don't know. If you call the police they aren't likely to respond very quickly, meaning the person gets to walk away. I have had a few occasions where a random person has harassed me while flying in a local park with permission to be there. One time a woman claimed my MA was a danger to her children. Even though I was flying at 250 feet and no where near her location. I tried to explain that I had permission from the park service in writing and even showed it to her. I ultimately decided it wasn't worth the argument and packed up and left. But now that woman probably thinks now any time she sees a drone flying that she has the right to harass them.

Reactions: Icelandman
I'm not sure how I would react. If the rock had actually struck my drone, I just don't know. If you call the police they aren't likely to respond very quickly, meaning the person gets to walk away. I have had a few occasions where a random person has harassed me while flying in a local park with permission to be there. One time a woman claimed my MA was a danger to her children. Even though I was flying at 250 feet and no where near her location. I tried to explain that I had permission from the park service in writing and even showed it to her. I ultimately decided it wasn't worth the argument and packed up and left. But now that woman probably thinks now any time she sees a drone flying that she has the right to harass them.
Not too sure what it is about drones that antagonises people so much? After all mobile phones can be far more intrusive on occasions as can cameras!

Sometimes I really don't understand this attitude of some people towards drones. In what is an accepted global culture now, people with cell phones will take pictures and videos in public places and no one seems to have a problem with that. As soon as there is a drone in the sky with a camera, there's this bizarre attitude bordering on paranoia that their privacy or space is being violated. Footage from a camera a few hundred feet in the sky is bound to record considerably lesser detail, particularly of people, than a handheld camera in close proximity on the ground.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones