DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stopping/Changing Automatic Battery Discharge

CamCorp

Reactions
Hey Everyone,

I’m going on a long trip at the end of the month, between 10 – 12 months. I know for a lot of that the fact that the batteries will discharge after 10 days won’t be an issue. But for a period of 2-3 months it is going to be hard or impossible to plug in to recharge them at regular intervals. I will have 4 batteries, so I know I will be limited to the amount of flight time simply by that, but I don’t want to lose charge because its been 10 days. I have the following questions:

1. Other than pressing the button every ninth day is there away to stop or preferably increase the auto discharge time to above 10 days, say 20-30 days?

2. Is there any worry about damaging the batteries if they are not discharged within 10 days? Weather it be because of successive battery presses or another answer the Question 1.

Thanks,

CC

Is there a reason you can't bring a charger or use one? If you are only going to use something for a total of 2 hours in a year, I wouldn't bother to bring it.

No Access to an electrical grid, will have a small solar panel and power bank for other devices but I don’t think It will be adequate to charge a battery. I know that there are portable power banks for the Mavic but I don’t really want to/can’t carry more equipment, I more am looking for ways to maximize the Charge I will be carrying to start with.

I didn't find pushing the battery button restated the countdown timer i.e if i pushed it on the 9th day, it still auto discharged a day or so later.
I had to put the battery in the Mavic and power it up then shut it down, then it reset the timer to 10 days.

Dont forget about the controller, that seems to self discharged if left for any length of time, the above seems to stop that happening too

You can change it in setting. Turn it all on like you going to fly and uou have to do it to each battery. I honestly cant rem what menu but its in there you can change it as little as 5 days to 30 i think maybe more. Not sure. But search the menu and rem to do it for each batt separately

Reactions: Mashuugana
I didn't find pushing the battery button restated the countdown timer i.e if i pushed it on the 9th day, it still auto discharged a day or so later.
I had to put the battery in the Mavic and power it up then shut it down, then it reset the timer to 10 days.

Dont forget about the controller, that seems to self discharged if left for any length of time, the above seems to stop that happening too

Oh yuck, ok so would have to do that with each battery, that makes it much more of a pain. The Controller is a little easier cause I can top it up with my USB solar system.

You can change it in setting. Turn it all on like you going to fly and uou have to do it to each battery. I honestly cant rem what menu but its in there you can change it as little as 5 days to 30 i think maybe more. Not sure. But search the menu and rem to do it for each batt separately

I only have 1 – 10 days as options.

Oh yuck, ok so would have to do that with each battery, that makes it much more of a pain. The Controller is a little easier cause I can top it up with my USB solar system.

Yes, is a pain having to do it to each battery in turn.

Same here, only have the 1-10 day option

Why dont you just leave them at about 50% charge ? Then the 10 day count down doesnt apply. That is the prefered storage charge for li-po batteries. They can last for months in that state. Just keep them in a cool place.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Maybe I didn’t explain well enough. They will be with me in my backpack with the Mavic as I travel. There are going to be some periods (probably of 2-3 weeks) where I will not be able to plug the batteries in to recharge. I will want to use them, but I don’t want them to discharge at all since I can’t recharge them. So, question 1 was trying to find ways to have them not auto discharge after 10 days.

I understand that they can’t stay like that forever, but I was hoping that say 1 month wouldn’t cause issues, that was what I was trying to find out with question 2.

Reactions: Rnl
Maybe I didn’t explain well enough. They will be with me in my backpack with the Mavic as I travel. There are going to be some periods (probably of 2-3 weeks) where I will not be able to plug the batteries in to recharge. I will want to use them, but I don’t want them to discharge at all since I can’t recharge them. So, question 1 was trying to find ways to have them not auto discharge after 10 days.

I understand that they can’t stay like that forever, but I was hoping that say 1 month wouldn’t cause issues, that was what I was trying to find out with question 2.
I cant help you with the discharge but I can suggest a backpack solar panel. I don't know if you can buy one specifically for the maverick but I am sure that someone on a forum has already done this and will help you.

Really last i looked i thought 5 was the minimum im probsbly wrong tho

Wellllllll ypu could every 9 days power yhe mavic on with each battery and power down. Might eat 1% every 9 days but it will slow the discharge process

Really last i looked i thought 5 was the minimum im probsbly wrong tho
Unless I was looking at the wrong setting it was 1-10.
Wellllllll ypu could every 9 days power yhe mavic on with each battery and power down. Might eat 1% every 9 days but it will slow the discharge process
Yea its sounding like that is my only option. I was just hopping for a way to stop the auto discharge, but I can’t find anything.

Anyone know if stopping the battery from discharging for 3 weeks will cause damage?

I cant help you with the discharge but I can suggest a backpack solar panel. I don't know if you can buy one specifically for the maverick but I am sure that someone on a forum has already done this and will help you.

I thought charging one of a small solar panel or a physically smaller power bank would not work because of the higher voltage needed. If you have a panel you had that worked, it would be great. I need it to be light and fold up to fit in a backpack.

Lipo batteries do not like being used as long term electrical storage. It will damage them. I've lost a couple batteries due to not draining/storage charging them. Take the car charger with you, you should be able to find someone with a Toyota pickup converted to something or other, and charge from that. The only caveat is the the vehicle has to be running to charge the batteries. It's so you don't charge the AC batteries, and drain the car battery so you can't start it.

They make small folding solar panels that will put out 12v to a cigarette lighter style plug, then you would just have to get one of the Mavic car chargers and you'll be set. The only problem would be they probably have limited watt output so it could take a while to charge. They also tend to be expensive. I've also considered getting several large capacity 4s LiPos and set up a charging system similar to the Tactical Ground Station from Titan Drones. Wish there was an easier solution though. -CF

Last edited:
Lipo batteries do not like being used as long term electrical storage. It will damage them. I've lost a couple batteries due to not draining/storage charging them. Take the car charger with you, you should be able to find someone with a Toyota pickup converted to something or other, and charge from that. The only caveat is the the vehicle has to be running to charge the batteries. It's so you don't charge the AC batteries, and drain the car battery so you can't start it.
How long are we talking though? Like after 10 days? 2 weeks? A Month? I don’t want to keep them charged, just for around 3 weeks. Within that time is damage likely?

They make small folding solar panels that will put out 12v to a cigarette lighter style plug, then you would just have to get one of the Mavic car chargers and you're be set. The only problem would be they probably have limited watt output so it could take a while to charge. They also tend to be expensive. I've also considered getting several large capacity 4s LiPos and set up a charging system similar to the Tactical Ground Station from Titan Drones. Wish there was an easier solution though. -CF
Ill have the car charger but we be anywhere near cars for chunks of time. I will look for a solar panel that can output 12v, the time to charge was a concern of mine, but I guess I can hang the panel from my pack as we go.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s