DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Store Batteries in Charging hub - Mavic Mini?

khophi

Reactions
I have a combo. The charging hub charging 3 batteries one after the other is really cool.

After charging, can I just leave the batteries in the hub as I park all the accessories into the DJI bag?

Without putting the batteries IN the charging hub, there doesn't seem any space left in the drone case.

Is it advisable to leave the batteries in the charging hub for storing?

ELcRpwhX0AAtfSU.jpg

Reactions: old man mavic
I have a combo. The charging hub charging 3 batteries one after the other is really cool.

After charging, can I just leave the batteries in the hub as I park all the accessories into the DJI bag?

Without putting the batteries IN the charging hub, there doesn't seem any space left in the drone case.

Is it advisable to leave the batteries in the charging hub for storing?

View attachment 87828
It is ok to store the batteries in the hub as this is why DJI designed the combo the way they did for them to fit in the case.
Not to mention the hub indicator lights will let you know the status of each battery with just a push of the button on the side of the hub.

However DJI recommended not to do it in my post in the DJI official forum.

Fine to keep them in there but be aware they shouldn't sit for more than 10 days on full charge. Unlike other DJI batteries these Mini batteries don't self discharge. After 10 days you should discharge and store them around 39-75% it says in the manual.

Fine to keep them in there but be aware they shouldn't sit for more than 10 days on full charge. Unlike other DJI batteries these Mini batteries don't self discharge. After 10 days you should discharge and store them around 39-75% it says in the manual.

How do you recommend doing this? With the weather in my area, I won't be flying regularly.

I thought since the Mini's batteries are Lithium Ion and not Lithium Polymer that they didn't have to be discharged to store? And they can hold most of their charge for months. So unlike the other Mavics you can always have a charged battery ready to go. I know the manual says to discharge to 30%, but I don't think this is for storage but rather for the health of the battery and charge cycles. Similar to how they say (or used to say) to discharge your phone fully instead of constantly top-off charging. I am no battery expert but I heard the guy at Drone Valley say the same thing.

I thought since the Mini's batteries are Lithium Ion and not Lithium Polymer that they didn't have to be discharged to store? And they can hold most of their charge for months. So unlike the other Mavics you can always have a charged battery ready to go. I know the manual says to discharge to 30%, but I don't think this is for storage but rather for the health of the battery and charge cycles. Similar to how they say (or used to say) to discharge your phone fully instead of constantly top-off charging. I am no battery expert but I heard the guy at Drone Valley say the same thing.
It's not as critical for Li-Ions, but still best practice to not have them at 100% for too long. Swelling won't be as much of a problem since the cell containers are metal cylinders but they still can degrade capacity.

Yes, you're right. I just tried that arrangement and it fit fine.

Thanks
The hub looks to be riding a bit high to me. That could put stress on the case, particularly zipper and hinge. If you have to push down on the case cover for the zipper halves to touch, then there is some stress.

I understand the manual says not to leave for more than 10 days but they are lithium-ion batteries not Li-po batteries so it won’t harm to leave for some time. Just like our iphone with their lithium ion batteries. See Ricks video from drone valley comparing li-po and lithium-ion batterie.

Reactions: Srcrain
I doubt iPhone has a cylindrical battery in it. Prismic maybe but those are usually removable.
All the batteries we're discussing are Li-Ions. What generally gets distinguished between Li-Ions and LiPos is the packaging. What we generally call lipos are usually flat rectangular, sometimes custom geometry for the OEM specifications, and encased in a polymer bag. What is generally called li-ions are encased in metal cylinders.

Actual chemistry varies with either of them.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AviewFromAbove_