DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strange initial issues with new Mavic Air -possibly rectified but ... comments please

johnbirt

Reactions
I have had a Mavic Air for several months but it has not been configured or activated until today. Also have a Mavic 2 Pro so am reasonably familiar with setup procedures although a relatively novice flyer. I hopefully am fairly IT literate having taught IT/Computing for many years!

I had numerous problems but eventually after a number of hours might possibly have resolved the issues but not at all totally clear why or how. A lengthy post but it may help another newbie and might get useful feedback.

First having charged all 3 batteries the other day I placed the first one in and had problems connecting to the craft with both Sony Xperia L1 Android and a CrystalSky. Tried to switch battery off repeated short/long press still kept flashing. Looked up possible solutions but tried again and not sure how but this time managed to get it off. Wasn't keen on removing it while still flashing one green led. Checked when removed and appeared to still have 50%+ charge. Anyway put it on charge and tried battery 2. This time I tested whether it would go on and off and it did so some progress.

Should have connected out of the box with the controller allegedly but didn't. Led on controller red. Tried with the CrystalSky same result. Went through the DJI video instructions for connecting and repeatedly failed to connect simply offering me to confirm with OK or cancel. No obvious attempt to do any connecting. Pressing the button on the craft for 3 seconds did nothing.

However for some reason I don't know the led turned green and so appeared there was a connection. All the registration and activation and admonishment to buy the damage cover within 48 hours appeared and I actually got a camera view. So all seemed well. I had no message re updates as presumably without connecting to the craft before I had charged both controller and CrystalSky and they updated a couple of days ago. Surprised no update for batteries suggested or required.

Switched everything off and started from beginning. This time led was green but GO 4 said that craft was not connected. Essentially back to square one but with a green led and software refusing to acknowledge connection and taking me through the lesson to connect but stopping at the last hurdle with the connect to craft option greyed out.

Connected craft via USB to my laptop to see what DJI Assistant 2.08 made of the situation as I found with the Mavic 2 Pro updating via the smart controller at least when I first got it earlier in the year was very flaky and usually failed and that the Assistant was required to be successful. Unfortunately it couldn't even find the craft - a big nothing.

Went had some lunch and left batteries on charge to full. Scratched head and brought out my best laptop. This time Assistant found it - same cable before you ask! Told me that firmware was current but nevertheless I refreshed and as a thorough test changed batteries and did it for all 3 to give them a good workout as I was a bit suss about the first one not turning off without multiple attempts. However all went OK and quickly over stable wifi connection and all batteries appear good.

Then went on to check connection status with craft. Should mention I had ticked the checkbox for GO 4 to start up when connected to the USB device e.g. the controller. I think I found the following but not sure. It appears CRUCIAL to proceed in this order and even then its flaky for me anyway. Switch on controller, switch on craft, switch on Android. In theory Go 4 should start up but doesn't and starting manually presents the checkbox for auto start which is unchecked and still GO 4 says not connected. I am now pretty sure that in my case I will not get a connection even though one is indicated with the green led. If however I back out of GO 4 and start it again manually and wait, it will after a pregnant pause, where I hold my breath, run and exhibit the magic GO FLY and show me a view of my room!

This is all very flaky and I haven't yet checked out what happens with the CrystalSky. I have a feeling it may be the Android/phone/ OS that is the cause.

I have a iPhone and an iPad which I will try later see what goes.

I would indeed be most grateful for any comments or useful assistance. I have yet to even fly the **** thing having spent a good part of a beautiful sunny day trying to connect to the blasted thing. I am reasonably confident that I can now connect albeit seemingly with a crude guesswork hack of closing and re-opening GO 4.

I must say I have not had any trouble with a Mavic 2 Pro (which I haven't flown for a while because of bad weather and other issues), Anafi or an el cheapo Visuo xs 812 but this Air has been a nightmare - hopefully I have woken up from it now.

Edit: Apparently the forum software doesn't like d.a.m.n. . Oh dear!

Last edited:
Update to original post:

I checked the situation with a CS rather than Android phone and I still get the controller connected to the Air i.e. green led showing but GO 4 doesn't see the craft as connected initially. Closing GO 4 and restarting manually as described earlier then connects although I had to do it a couple of times on 1 test run through. Mostly works on second run.

Nice rare! sunny calm day here in NW UK so will be testing it out "in the field" later today so will have better idea how stable things are. Haven't tried iPhone or iPad yet. See how the Android version goes. It annoys me to see the Android phone and CS draining the controller battery. Surely there must be a modified USB A-C cable available which transfers just the data rather than juice as well.

Incidentally took the opportunity to charge up and firmware upgrade the Mavic 2 Pro and smart controller and 3 batteries using Assistant 2.08 without any of the nonsense the Air and CS were giving me. GO figure? No pun intended!

The plot gets murkier! On a blazing hot day got in 2 batteries worth of flying with Mavic 2 Pro. Then setup my Air for its maiden flight after all the connection issues described in the OP.

Everything connected with everything and everything saw everything. Ready to fly! Well err no. Came up with you must calibrate the compass message or move somewhere else. I had calibrated the day before in my garden and it liked it. In addition I had the red ! indicating there was a software update I must have.

I moved away from where I had all my stuff and was in the middle of the RC club landing strip. Still wouldn't let me calibrate the compass. Any further away and I would have been in the river so not an option. Anyway there was no way DJI were going to allow this bird to fly.

I had spent yesterday overcoming connection issues which now seemed to be resolved and in the process everything had been updated to the hilt so being told there was another essential one was very hard to believe. Since I couldn't calibrate the compass I packed up and went home. The RC has as its clubhouse a very large ex-ships container obviously a huge wodge of metal in the vicinity. However I had just flown the Mavic 2 Pro for a good 45+ minutes with no issues whatsoever and was probably 150 m away from anything metal so doubt that was the cause..

Got everything connected up at home this evening in living room. Immediate connection all good. Compass status OK and not a sign of anything needing an update. I checked every single possible thing that could have needed an update. Same battery that was in the flight that never took off. Everything fully charged and perfect! I could have flown it in the house but not for me thanks.

Supposedly fine and hot tomorrow so will try again! Unfortunately can't test it in my garden as there is a small airport half a mile away which has helicopters and light aircraft so DJI won't let me.

The plot gets murkier! On a blazing hot day got in 2 batteries worth of flying with Mavic 2 Pro. Then setup my Air for its maiden flight after all the connection issues described in the OP.

Everything connected with everything and everything saw everything. Ready to fly! Well err no. Came up with you must calibrate the compass message or move somewhere else. I had calibrated the day before in my garden and it liked it. In addition I had the red ! indicating there was a software update I must have.

I moved away from where I had all my stuff and was in the middle of the RC club landing strip. Still wouldn't let me calibrate the compass. Any further away and I would have been in the river so not an option. Anyway there was no way DJI were going to allow this bird to fly.

I had spent yesterday overcoming connection issues which now seemed to be resolved and in the process everything had been updated to the hilt so being told there was another essential one was very hard to believe. Since I couldn't calibrate the compass I packed up and went home. The RC has as its clubhouse a very large ex-ships container obviously a huge wodge of metal in the vicinity. However I had just flown the Mavic 2 Pro for a good 45+ minutes with no issues whatsoever and was probably 150 m away from anything metal so doubt that was the cause..

Got everything connected up at home this evening in living room. Immediate connection all good. Compass status OK and not a sign of anything needing an update. I checked every single possible thing that could have needed an update. Same battery that was in the flight that never took off. Everything fully charged and perfect! I could have flown it in the house but not for me thanks.

Supposedly fine and hot tomorrow so will try again! Unfortunately can't test it in my garden as there is a small airport half a mile away which has helicopters and light aircraft so DJI won't let me.
d.a.m.n <quote>

Was that the end of the problems? Was being in a no fly zone interfering in MA setup? Something not affecting your MP?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike