DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strange thing happened. Freaked me out, but resolved SD card issue

CWhitworth

Reactions
We were down in Newport Beach last week for some R&R. I brought along the MA.

I went out early a few mornings and flew around the harbor before most people were up. I got back to Salt Lake and put my SD card in my reader and launched of files using VLC. It played fine for a few seconds, but then the video stumbled and looked "smeary". Can't think of any other way to describe it. Imagine dragging a palette knife through a still-wet oil painting. After a couple of seconds of this it would correct itself and play normally for a few more seconds and then the smearing effect hit again. The footage was unwatchable.

At first, I thought it was camera relataed (freaked meout) but then I wondered if there was something wrong with the card. I copied over the file to my desktop and it played perfectly. I then focused on the SD card itself. I didn't see any physical damage to anything, but gave the contacts a good wipe with my microfiber cloth. This cured the issue.

Interestingly, AirMap showed the flight ceiling where we were staying on Balboa Island and for the Newport Bay to be only 50', rising to 100' as you left the island and went out into the bay. John Wayne Airport is about 6 miles and Balboa is directly under the flight path for takeoffs. Using an app called Flightradar, I could see that by the time the planes are overhead of the island, they are at just under 3,000'. What is odd about the 50' is that as you leave the island for the mainland, you climb up a bluff to get to Highway 1 that is about 40' above the bay, but the bluff is also in the 50' altitude zone. So which is it?

Screenshot_20190814-102615_AirMap.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78