DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strangeness with USB-C cable with Mini 2 controller RC231 and iPad Mini 6

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I received an Apple iPad Mini 6 for my birthday last November. Other than the max nits it's really nice. Apple, in its infinite wisdom decided to use a USB-c port on this model rather than sticking with their Lighting port, which they seem to use on every iPhone and every other iPad. I actually like USB-C as it seems more robust than Lightning.

You'd think that you'd just get a USB-C to USB C cable, plug it in and go. BUT NO! I can get the iPad plugged into my controller, but no connection, though I know the cable is good. I then seem to be able to get a connection, but only; swapping it end to end. Reversing the cable plug orientation, on one side, then the other, then reversing the plug to the controller and to the iPad... and finally seem to come up with the magic recipe of cable orientations that I finally get a connection Once I can access DJI Fly and my Mini 2, it doesn't break connection and is solid. BUT WHAT A PAIN TO GO THROUGH TO GET THE THING TO CONNECT. I've tried different cables and they all seem to do the same thing, and yet they charge the iPad with no issues. There have been a few occasions out in the field where it took me 10 minutes just to get the darn controller to recognize the iPad. I'm low on USB-c/USB-c cables so have more on order from Amazon that should be here tomorrow. Honestly I'm not hopeful that they'll be any better.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE WHAT'S GOING ON HERE. Isn't USB-c suppose to be both universal and without concern for which direction the cable is plugged in? Anyone?

One end of the controller to phone cable is marked with a controller symbol, could there be a reason fo that?
That said, like you it is my understanding that USB-C is supposed to be reversible.

Just as a matter of interest I just reversed the orientation of the controller end of my controller to micro-USB phone cable ( so that the cable exited the controller's plug to the left rather than to the right and every thing worked.

One end of the controller to phone cable is marked with a controller symbol, could there be a reason fo that?
That said, like you it is my understanding that USB-C is supposed to be reversible.

Just as a matter of interest I just reversed the orientation of the controller end of my controller to micro-USB phone cable ( so that the cable exited the controller's plug to the left rather than to the right and every thing worked.
On my end getting the iPad function in a reasonable span a time can be totally fubar. There are no issues getting my M2p to hook up to my phone with the lightning cable war to hook up to my iPad from either output port. With my iPad I can go into the bottom USB-A what are the funky dual format port on the side. The mini two controller is limited to the top port which is of course USB-C. The iPad only has USB-C. One would think that you couldn’t make a mistake hooking it up and then it should connect easily instantly. But no. And if it were limited to one cable you could say that the wiring of the cable was defective even if you could get it to work by changing orientation. But it happens with all the cables I own. At first I thought I had defective cables until I did the cable dance plugging it in one way, then another until I finally found the combination that would connected and unlock everything.

I was hoping that somebody could tell me that there is a special cable that is immune to the USB-C cable kabuki dance. As I mentioned. I have a new series of cables coming in today, but honestly I don’t have any hope that it will be any different. Assuming that when I take the time to figure it out I’m going to color code the plugs noting the orientation that works… I just pray that there is some consistency in a repeatable hook up scheme that I can rely on.

I’ve heard problems with the mini 6 and FLY. Thought they fixed it with updates but not sure. I use mini 5 (lightning). Try updating firmware on both minis.

I’ve heard problems with the mini 6 and FLY. Thought they fixed it with updates but not sure. I use mini 5 (lightning). Try updating firmware on both minis.
I'm not sure what the deal is. But as far as firmware goes, I'm on xxxxxx.13 and will not, at least at this time, update to xxxx14. Some folks say that xxx14 has been problematic and doesn't provide any significant feature and xxx13 works fine. USB-C toLightning cables that work with my iPhone, no issue.

My phone is an iPhone XR, a few years old and could use a replacement as I now use it for the occasional photo or video. But I'm camping out now until the iPhone 14 is out and proven in real life. It's sad because my iPad Mini 6 is a really nice piece of equipment for just about everything I need. When it works with my drones the extra screen space spoils me. While I don't have giant fingers, hitting the right place on my iPhone requires too much focus. Having just more space, even to adjust settings is a real plus.

Perhaps I just have to figure out the idicyncracies of the controller and cable, mark everything and hope the setup can be consistent. It's not that it doesn't work. It's just an ordeal to get it to work.

Reactions: Capt KO
I too have the same problem with my new iPad Mini 6 and mini 2 controller. Everything worked fine with my iPhone 8 but since switching to the Mini 6, I cannot get the iPad to charge. I should add that I have full functionality just no charging. I can go to settings and switch on ’phone charging’ but it simply does not work. I have tried all possible orientations of the original DJI usb-c to usb-c cable as well as 3 new slightly longer cables (the original is to short) but none work. I did have an online chat with a DJI tech support agent but after checking firmware, clearing cache etc. he admitted that the Mini 6 is not fully validated. So my question is……..for those of you who have managed to get the iPad mini 6 working with the mini 2 controller, how exactly did you achieve it. Did you do something out of the ordinary or just plug it in? I will just add I have the 64gb cellular version and am in the UK.

@Supafly1465 I ordered, and received and tested today two sets of cables, links below. I tested them and did not have the same difficulty as I had with the cables I had on hand. Maybe I got lucky and just plugged them in with the right combination. Just this moment with the Mini 2 out for testing anyway I got everything fired up again that these cables seem to work with the iPad Mini 6 without issue (at least the two times I've tested them today). Here are links to what I bought, but I see you're in the UK. Maybe Amazon UK has the same offerings?

1 ft USB-c to USB-c link
3 ft USB-c to USB-c cable link

Just a quick update on the aforementioned issue. I did purchase another 3 cables from Amazon (including the linked ones from vinibona1) and the problem remains. I have tried all possible orientation of the cables but it will not charge. I have decided for the moment that I can live with it as the iPad is new and works perfectly with my Mini 2. As long as it is pre charged, the iPad will not cause any issues. I flew 2 batteries on Saturday evening and the IPad only lost 1% so I am ok with it. Hopefully DJI can resolve this with a fix in the future.

Just a quick update on the aforementioned issue. I did purchase another 3 cables from Amazon (including the linked ones from vinibona1) and the problem remains. I have tried all possible orientation of the cables but it will not charge. I have decided for the moment that I can live with it as the iPad is new and works perfectly with my Mini 2. As long as it is pre charged, the iPad will not cause any issues. I flew 2 batteries on Saturday evening and the IPad only lost 1% so I am ok with it. Hopefully DJI can resolve this with a fix in the future.
I bought new cables and 90° adapters and the new cables seem to work without issue. I have no idea what was up with the other cables. I keep my iOS devices charged because at any time I might need them to fly. Battery charge is no issue for my iPad Mini 6.

As a side note, I was out flying my M2P with iPad yesterday in the sunlight. And while I would have liked to have had a brighter screen, I didn't have any trouble seeing my screen and navigating. I think I am good, but the proof will be confirmed in future flights. The only thing that is a bit annoying is having to set up the bracket for the iPad as the arms on the controller can't expand quite far enough for the length of the iPad mini 6 to avoid using a bracket. But the bracket I has a wide range of position adjustments. The adapter for the Mini 2's controller is minimal and snaps right onto the antenna and take only a few seconds more to set up .

I received an Apple iPad Mini 6 for my birthday last November. Other than the max nits it's really nice. Apple, in its infinite wisdom decided to use a USB-c port on this model rather than sticking with their Lighting port, which they seem to use on every iPhone and every other iPad. I actually like USB-C as it seems more robust than Lightning.

You'd think that you'd just get a USB-C to USB C cable, plug it in and go. BUT NO! I can get the iPad plugged into my controller, but no connection, though I know the cable is good. I then seem to be able to get a connection, but only; swapping it end to end. Reversing the cable plug orientation, on one side, then the other, then reversing the plug to the controller and to the iPad... and finally seem to come up with the magic recipe of cable orientations that I finally get a connection Once I can access DJI Fly and my Mini 2, it doesn't break connection and is solid. BUT WHAT A PAIN TO GO THROUGH TO GET THE THING TO CONNECT. I've tried different cables and they all seem to do the same thing, and yet they charge the iPad with no issues. There have been a few occasions out in the field where it took me 10 minutes just to get the darn controller to recognize the iPad. I'm low on USB-c/USB-c cables so have more on order from Amazon that should be here tomorrow. Honestly I'm not hopeful that they'll be any better.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE WHAT'S GOING ON HERE. Isn't USB-c suppose to be both universal and without concern for which direction the cable is plugged in? Anyone?
Until today I never knew you could plug the USB C cable in either way. I've always plugged them in with the printing up.
Yes, it is in and working normally. You learn something every day. Only took me five months to learn this one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78