DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe Light for OOP

J Beans

Reactions
Hello, first post here. I was hoping for some assistance regarding Strobe regulations for the new OOP categories.

I fly an M3E for work, and we are looking to acquire the new AVSS PRS system approved for Cat. 3 OOP (see DOC: UAS Declaration of Compliance). I have heard from a few sources now, including the Pilot Institute (see: UAS Operations Over People Just Got Easier – Here’s Why - Pilot Institute), that mention needing a strobe for this type of operation. I've been absolutely scouring the CFR and FARS but I cannot find where this requirement is detailed.

I've no problem identifying the other requirements: PRS, RID, prop guards, etc., but have been entirely unsuccessful in finding where the strobe light requirement is listed for OOP. I understand for night operations you need a 3SM strobe, but this is not mentioned in the regulations regarding operations over people, such as Subpart D of 14 CFR 107.39.

They're not super expensive, but I'd rather not have to rig up the craft for the strobe if I don't need to. I greatly appreciate any input that may be offered. Thank you.

The strobe is required for the waiver. The AVSS DOC probably doesn't require that. Double check the DOC and see, but it shouldn't. That is a waiver specific requirement.

Reactions: SethB and MA2 317
The strobe is required for the waiver. The AVSS DOC probably doesn't require that. Double check the DOC and see, but it shouldn't. That is a waiver specific requirement.
Ahh gotcha, I'll be sure to double check the DOC, but thank you very much for the clarification on that stipulation. And for replying so fast. Cheers!

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluffman2