DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Operations Wavier for Operations Over People (107.39) with parachute

David Metcalf

Reactions
Hello Mavic Pilots,

Has anyone successfully filed an Operation Wavier that includes flying over people with a Mavi 3 Pro strapped with a Mani 3 parachute?

I'll be documenting progress on a construction site for two years that is surrounded by a low density 1-2 story urban area neighborhood. Transiting over parking lots, buildings, and low traffic streets. No sustained flight over open air assemblies or crowds. I already have tested and received LAANC approval for Airspace Authorization with manual review. Drone will fly mostly in 200' AGF airspace and through a sliver of 0' AGL sector. Now I need a Wavier over people. Let me know.

Thanks

That will take you about 90 days to get. I have seen some of those waivers with parachutes. You'll need to provide a copy of the ASTM testing the company did with the parachute system. Do they have that information?

Reactions: twickers14
Hello Vic,

I did send email to the Mani 3 people asking for a copy of that ASTM third party report to attach to the application. I am hoping someone has done this successfully to guide me in tb application process. I don't know if category 3 appropriate for the Mavic 3 Pro. If it's been done, then I'll need a mentor on this process.

Thanks

Forgive the answer peripheral to your actual question. I will be curious to see how this moves forward.

My guess is the documentation is not for recreational purposes, obviously. So in that sense I would think about the outputs (video and images) and how they will be potentially used. Could be CQA, could be trade media etc. You know how this imaging will be used. And so, for the intended use, what quality of output do you need to accomplish this task? What does the client actually need, not what is the best imaging possible? Probably not shooting in d-log and color grading. Regular 8-bit color and 4k is probably more than sufficient for this purpose.

Another pathway towards capturing this imagery would be with a smaller DJI OS3 controlled 4k cinewhoop drone, allowing you to operate under 107.110 Category 1. It might be cheaper, safer, and yield the results you need for the project.

As you wouldn't be in sustained flight over open air assemblies, it would seem RID isn't required.

Good luck with the project.

Hello Mavic Pilots,

Has anyone successfully filed an Operation Wavier that includes flying over people with a Mavi 3 Pro strapped with a Mani 3 parachute?

I'll be documenting progress on a construction site for two years that is surrounded by a low density 1-2 story urban area neighborhood. Transiting over parking lots, buildings, and low traffic streets. No sustained flight over open air assemblies or crowds. I already have tested and received LAANC approval for Airspace Authorization with manual review. Drone will fly mostly in 200' AGF airspace and through a sliver of 0' AGL sector. Now I need a Wavier over people. Let me know.

Thanks
My background in Aviation as a Captain on corporate jets ( 25 years )
Cirrus developed a BRS system to lower a complete aircraft to the ground and such s system must be the way ahead for heavier drones ! Maybe a coiled spring to eject a chute on medium drones and a ballistic system on Large drones?
Good luck getting anything approved without a mass of testing data

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas