DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe lights-effect on video

Red_Pyro

Reactions
Hello everyone,

Maybe it sounds like a dumb question, but do anti collision lights mounted on the front roof of the drone have any effect on the video itself if you fly in very low light conditions ? Does the blinking appear on video ?

Thanks for your help

Been asked a fair bit on the forum in the past, especially with forward facing ARC V (and similar) more powerful strobes.

Most that have those stronger strobes say not visible in general, but you would get glare from reflective surfaces no doubt, building windows, water surfaces, AND you can bet you'd see some strobing with airborne dust in twilight, fog and other such air moisture.

Reactions: Red_Pyro
Hello everyone,

Maybe it sounds like a dumb question, but do anti collision lights mounted on the front roof of the drone have any effect on the video itself if you fly in very low light conditions ? Does the blinking appear on video ?

Thanks for your help
Under extreme conditions with the foreground dark against a bright sky, I found an induced interference on the black areas from the rear blinking lights on the M2P. I don’t know what really causes it, it maybe only on this drone, it’s only when forcing a dark situation, and the only solution I found to solve it is during post using shape masks.

Been asked a fair bit on the forum in the past, especially with forward facing ARC V (and similar) more powerful strobes.

Most that have those stronger strobes say not visible in general, but you would get glare from reflective surfaces no doubt, building windows, water surfaces, AND you can bet you'd see some strobing with airborne dust in twilight, fog and other such air moisture.
What he said.
For the camera to see any element of the strobe, the light has to reflect off of something in front of the camera. As long as the strobes are mounted behind the camera there are few issues. But any surface in front that can reflect light that reflection will be seen by the camera to some extent. In glass or mirrored surfaces it will be a pinpoint reflection. Off of something like fog it will be more diffuse. Distance from the strobe to the reflective subject will also be a factor.

Edit: I almost forgot. Front facing strobes will be more likely to be reflected back. A top or bottom or rear mounted strobe will be less likely because they will be less directional. A strobe with a bezel like the ARC V, though mounted on top will throw some light forward because of the crystal casing, while an ViFly or ArC II will be less likely to throw light forward. But for the most part, I wouldn't worry about it. Just be aware as you film. I've had a few scenes where I've missed the reflection because I wasn't paying close attention.

What he said.
For the camera to see any element of the strobe, the light has to reflect off of something in front of the camera. As long as the strobes are mounted behind the camera there are few issues. But any surface in front that can reflect light that reflection will be seen by the camera to some extent. In glass or mirrored surfaces it will be a pinpoint reflection. Off of something like fog it will be more diffuse. Distance from the strobe to the reflective subject will also be a factor.

Edit: I almost forgot. Front facing strobes will be more likely to be reflected back. A top or bottom or rear mounted strobe will be less likely because they will be less directional. A strobe with a bezel like the ARC V, though mounted on top will throw some light forward because of the crystal casing, while an ViFly or ArC II will be less likely to throw light forward. But for the most part, I wouldn't worry about it. Just be aware as you film. I've had a few scenes where I've missed the reflection because I wasn't paying close attention.

I seem to remember a posting that said if you enable the camera gimbal to be able to elevate upwards (above horizontal - a feature that is defaulted to "off"), you run the risk of catching reflections of the built in strobes off of the front motor arms and the props themselves. But you would only see this when the camera was elevated.

So I bought 2 strobes that can flash white, red and green. I was just wondering how you would place them ? I'm thinking a white flashing on the top and a red flashing on the back. Or how would you place them ?

So I bought 2 strobes that can flash white, red and green. I was just wondering how you would place them ? I'm thinking a white flashing on the top and a red flashing on the back. Or how would you place them ?

Normally only need red / green for orientation purposes, so red on left arm / body, green on right, white best or VLOS on top for other manned aircraft to see, or behind / underneath for your use maintaining VLOS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4