DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe & Rear Facing Sensors

DroneSketcher

Reactions
I bought a tiny VIFLY Drone Strobe Light
If I mount that on the top, won't it then be flashing directly into the rear facing sensors and possibly cause issues?
And/or block their view (just a little) of things?

If I mount that on the top, won't it then be flashing directly into the rear facing sensors and possibly cause issues?
i always try to mount strobes on the arms or legs.

Reactions: DroneSketcher
Thanks for bringing this up. It's an interesting question.

I've flown the Mini 3 with a Vifly strobe and a Firehouse Arc V mounted dead center on the top surface. They both block a portion of the inside edges of the fields of view of the two rear-facing sensors. The larger Arc V blocks quite a bit more.

As you say , there are two issues: interference from the flashing light and the obstruction created by the device.

For the obstruction concern, try placing the light on the drone and sighting over the light from the rear and see if it blocks you view of the sensor. (Think about the signs on semis aimed at deterring tailgaters - "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you."

I've not noticed any odd behavior in a half-dozen or so night flights with the lights, but then I generally avoid flying backwards at night.

I just flew the Mini 3 with and without the Arc V light (powered off) in the center location and tested the obstacle avoidance flying backward toward an exterior wall of the house. In both cases flying directly rearward, the Mini 3 stopped as it should, about five feet from the wall. So, there's no gross interference with the OA behavior, even with the larger Arc V.

Flying diagonally backward also needs to be evaluated, as well as the effect of the flashes of light.

I think I'll move the velcro pad forward to about a quarter to a third of the way aft. That far forward, I don't think it will intrude into the sensor FOV at all.

Note: It's been mentioned elsewhere, but be aware that the front (only) lights on the Mini 3 are automatically switched off when shooting video. It can make seeing the drone difficult if you haven't added auxiliary lights.

Last edited:
I also just got my ViFly just recently, and this question crossed my mind. But then it hit me: I put the strobe light on the drone only when it is dark, and under low light conditions, the obstacle avoidance system won't work with or without having an object in its field of view.

Screenshot 2022-08-08 220437.png

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrDew