DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strong Wind Warning -- scary situation

PS> The manual states: "The aircraft may not be able to return to a Home Point when the wind speed is too high."

Key word being "may". So I'm really leaning towards it just being poorly worded in the interface. But, next really windy day, I'll send both drones out a bit further (to avoid it autolanding instead) and break the connection and/or press the RTH and see what it does.

Sounds like others are planning on doing some tests as well, so take heart ... I imagine we will get to the bottom of it sooner than later.

This message appears in quite a few flight logs, but the exact algorithm that generates it is not known, as far as I'm aware. There are really only two possibilities though:
  1. The FC has detected that the wind speed approaches or exceeds, at least intermittently, the airspeed of the aircraft at the maximum pitch allowed in RTH mode - i.e. it may not be able to make progress into the wind during RTH.
  2. The FC has calculated that it may not have enough battery reserve to RTH once the wind speed is factored in - note that the normal smart battery RTH calculation does not include wind speed.

It's really simple (If this was already stated in some way, my apologies) If Wind speed is higher than drone top speed in current mode, it can't get home no matter how much battery strength is left. If you fly longer distances away from you with the wind, you risk losing the aircraft.
Common sense prevails

If this really was an issue, it would have been noticed long ago.
As someone already said earlier in the thread:
Your drone will always enter RTH on loss of signal* or initiating RTH regardless of strong wind warnings.
* Assuming you have not changed the Loss of Signal action from the default setting of RTH
After some testing today, I can confirm it WILL enter RTH mode and stay in that mode even if the "Cannot RTH" strong wind message is displaying when you initiate the RTH.
It also does pretty good despite the grim warning; it maintained 3-7 m/s in RTH mode when I had positioned it to fight the wind directly in RTH mode.
It speeds up (slightly but not massively) if you cancel the RTH and switch to Sports mode
Thinking about the last scenario that I should have tested (but didn't) is what happens if you are already in Sports Mode (selected on the Remote with the Air 2, not on screen), and then select RTH. Does it try and RTH at Sports Mode speeds or Normal P mode speed.... I await another windy day for that one...

Cheers
Ian

I can't wait for another really windy day to test this message! Video will follow :)

Ian
Love your videos Ian, so glad someone will actually test this bc there mini and ma2 both say it and i agree with the op that this verbage is scary and shouldn't be assumed. Its always made me wonder. Thanks

Reactions: chickentarts
I will never understand using RTH button on a regular basis. It seems like a ridiculously high percentage of wind-related problems/flyaways that get posted on here are involve using RTH when it shouldn't be used. I trust my own flying ability in windy conditions infinitely more than an automated system that has an inherent flaw (RTH height) in windy conditions. The beeping alone should be a huge hint that it's an emergency feature.

Thinking about the last scenario that I should have tested (but didn't) is what happens if you are already in Sports Mode (selected on the Remote with the Air 2, not on screen), and then select RTH. Does it try and RTH at Sports Mode speeds or Normal P mode speed....
Since RTH is a separate Flight Mode, it shouldn't matter what mode you were in when you initiate RTH

This message appears in quite a few flight logs, but the exact algorithm that generates it is not known, as far as I'm aware. There are really only two possibilities though: ...

It really can't be option #1 or #2 (unless the algorithm is really screwed up, which is possible, but I would say unlikely that bad), as I mentioned in the post above: Received the wind/RTH message at 97% battery, a few feet from home at ~275 ft. alt. There is a third option, as I and others have mentioned, it could be just poorly worded. I'm heavily leaning towards that as the answer, but will reserve final conclusions after some testing.

Also, important to point out ... You are correct that those conditions can occur, but I am not saying #1 or #2 cannot cause RTH to fail, and thus probably why they are including that in the wind warning no matter the current status of the aircraft.

Edit: Just saw Ian's post, so definitely seems to be poor wording with the on-screen warning. Just adding "may" to the tezt would help a bit, as it does in the manual.

Last edited:
It really can't be option #1 or #2 (unless the algorithm is really screwed up, which is possible, but I would say unlikely that bad), as I mentioned in the post above: Received the wind/RTH message at 97% battery, a few feet from home at ~275 ft. alt. There is a third option, as I and others have mentioned, it could be just poorly worded. I'm heavily leaning towards that as the answer, but will reserve final conclusions after some testing.

Also, important to point out ... You are correct that those conditions can occur, but I am not saying #1 or #2 cannot cause RTH to fail, and thus probably why they are including that in the wind warning no matter the current status of the aircraft.

Edit: Just saw Ian's post, so definitely seems to be poor wording with the on-screen warning. Just adding "may" to the tezt would help a bit, as it does in the manual.

I agree that #2 is unlikely based on situations where it occurs close to the home point and/or at nearly full battery levels, but my point was that it is a possible implementation. In fact I'm pretty sure that it is #1: "The FC has detected that the wind speed approaches or exceeds, at least intermittently, the airspeed of the aircraft at the maximum pitch allowed in RTH mode - i.e. it may not be able to make progress into the wind during RTH", and I don't see what your argument is that it cannot be that.

Reactions: OneQuickSix
I agree that #2 is unlikely based on situations where it occurs close to the home point and/or at nearly full battery levels, but my point was that it is a possible implementation. In fact I'm pretty sure that it is #1: "The FC has detected that the wind speed approaches or exceeds, at least intermittently, the airspeed of the aircraft at the maximum pitch allowed in RTH mode - i.e. it may not be able to make progress into the wind during RTH", and I don't see what your argument is that it cannot be that.

Hey, sar: Good stuff. So, yep, not in disagreement with you on that ... specifically: that it might give you that warning -- and probably won't even work -- if winds are too strong ... i.e. intermittently as you say. Was definitely thinking that "in the moment" it might not be "lying." HOWEVER, my personal experience would indicate otherwise. As I mentioned, max wind recorded was 16.x mph. Wind profile models had it as supposedly much lower for gusts, even at that altitude.

Now, that being said, it definitely COULD have calculated (more like miscalculated ... some pretty bad calculating, imho) considering the other parameters. In other words, even if in that second(s) that the wind hit 16.x mph (Mini max speed is ~18mph in P Mode, 30 is S) it should still know with 97% battery a few feet away. It might have even been 1 ft, have to check. So, I am pretty sure, unfortunately, it is just a blanket statement/warning that may or may not apply.

Finally, I would just say I think Ian-in-London's tests (and I will be doing my own hopefully soon) definitely point to this being the case (i.e. poor messaging in the app.)

The beeping alone should be a huge hint that it's an emergency feature.

Yes, that **** beeping is definitely a deterrent -- at least for me -- from every wanting to use it. I hate when I lose signal longer than the automatic RTH kick-in. I read on earlier models you could shut it up, but I can't seem to get it silenced on the Air 2 or the Mini.

Really think there should be an option to disable and/or adjust the volume. If it came out of the phone/tablet (like everything else audible) that would be perfect, especially if it were optional.

After some testing today, I can confirm it WILL enter RTH mode and stay in that mode even if the "Cannot RTH" strong wind message is displaying when you initiate the RTH.
It also does pretty good despite the grim warning; it maintained 3-7 m/s in RTH mode when I had positioned it to fight the wind directly in RTH mode.
It speeds up (slightly but not massively) if you cancel the RTH and switch to Sports mode
Thinking about the last scenario that I should have tested (but didn't) is what happens if you are already in Sports Mode (selected on the Remote with the Air 2, not on screen), and then select RTH. Does it try and RTH at Sports Mode speeds or Normal P mode speed.... I await another windy day for that one...

Cheers
Ian
I believe the concern isn't if it will respond to rth button, but will it automatically go into rth after losing signal

I get that warning from high wind gusts at high altitude in sport mode against the wind. It goes away quickly I have tested the return home function while this was occurring and it returned home each time without issues on the ma2 and the mini. Ma2 rarely gets that warning. But with my mini it’s constant Just make sure return home is set to low as you can get it while being able to clear obstacles. Once you get a connection take control of the mini and switch it to p mode when it gusts and switch it back to s mode right after keep doing that until you can manually land it.

Reactions: OneQuickSix
Ma2 rarely gets that warning. But with my mini it’s constant Just make sure return home is set to low as you can get it while being able to clear obstacles.

Yes, I know the Mini is lighter and has a slower max speed, but it does seem a bit too "wind-sensitive" as far as warnings go. Seem to repeat too often as well. Between that and the RTH beep, it sometimes drives me nuts. Worst thing about it IMO.

What did you mean by that last bit (i.e. "set to low") ... didn't quite follow you there?

What did you mean by that last bit (i.e. "set to low") ... didn't quite follow you there?
He meant that setting your RTH height too high could be a bad mistake as it risks putting the drone up where the wind is even stronger.

He meant that setting your RTH height too high could be a bad mistake as it risks putting the drone up where the wind is even stronger.
Thanks, that's what I kinda' thought, but then he said " as you can get it while being able to clear obstacles." Which is why I tend to set mine a little higher, so it won't run into obstacles. I get what he was saying in totality now. Hmmm, wonder what the average is for RTH height setting amongst the forum? Sounds like it's time for another poll! :)

Hmmm, wonder what the average is for RTH height setting amongst the forum? Sounds like it's time for another poll! :)
The average is completely irrelevant.
The only RTH height that matters is what will clear any potential obstacles on the flight in question.

Reactions: rehkram
The only RTH height that matters is what will clear any potential obstacles on the flight in question.

Yes, of course, from a practical sense. I'm just curious what altitudes are being used, regardless of the reasons. If we could also gather geographical data, that would have been cool too.

True, but it's alarming to read how often people have the RTH height set to 80 or 120 metres when they have no reason to...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi