DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Struggling straight out of the box!

mkel040

Reactions
Problem? Error messages straight out of the box and no idea where to go next

Was unit in a crash? No

What have you tried so far? Not much - not finding it very intuitive!

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? iPhone

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)?

What Go app version are you using? the latest

Any modification? no

Did you change anything or install any apps? no

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)

I have no idea why the GPS isn't working, or how to make it work, or the gimbal motor being overloaded, I've literally just opened this and started doing the tutorials.
Any help greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 9.22.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 9.22.21 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 68
If you are indoors, you wont get GPS, (or much of it?)
In beginner mode, without gps, you cant take off.
You need to remove the gimbal clamp. (The protective 'bubble' can go back on if you wish? But the clamp needs to come off. Even if you are not flying)

Room too dark
Gimbal clamp still on
Battery down to 83%,
Hope the gimbal motor didnt burn up!

As suggested above, read the whole manual first, tutorials won't do much good if you don't have the basics

Flying indoors is a bad idea, as GPS won't work and you are very close to anything, crashing is very easily

For baby steps, find a large, open area, with short grass if possible, and try one thing at a time, better safe than sorry!

Thank you for those of you who gave helpful (kind) replies!

I've always been a far more visual learner but it seems that reading the manual is the way forward here rather than video tutorials.

Thanks again those of you who were kind in your replies, I genuinely appreciate it.

I suggest downloading and reading the manual before trying anything else, it’s not a toy and has a multitude of functions.
I appreciate that. Hence why I turned it off and looked here for advice. I learned the entire suite of adobe creative products + self taught animation and webdesign using online tutorials, so I had thought this might work with a drone ;)

Thanks for replying however.

Reactions: martinbanshee
It cracks me up why so many mavic pro guys post here. Poor guy. There's no gimbal clamp or dome. There is a gimbal cover that has to be removed but it appears that you got that far. I'm visual too. I watched the series of Mavic Air videos on the DJI site before mine arrived. I watched them again one by one after I unboxed it.. Try the videos and see if that works better. You need to go outside to get GPS

It cracks me up why so many mavic pro guys post here. Poor guy. There's no gimbal clamp or dome. There is a gimbal cover that has to be removed but it appears that you got that far. I'm visual too. I watched the series of Mavic Air videos on the DJI site before mine arrived. I watched them again one by one after I unboxed it.. Try the videos and see if that works better. You need to go outside to get GPS

It's easy to not notice this is in the MA section when clicking on the New Posts button that brings up all new posts together. That said, it cracks me up why so many mavic air guys post in the MP section ;)

I appreciate that. Hence why I turned it off and looked here for advice. I learned the entire suite of adobe creative products + self taught animation and webdesign using online tutorials, so I had thought this might work with a drone ;)

Thanks for replying however.

Totally understand, I’ve done the same myself in the past. The only problem is if you get it wrong you’ll lose or damage the drone which can’t be recovered with some mouse clicks.

Enjoy the new Air, it’s a brilliant bit of kit that can do so much. You’ll love it once you get comfortable with it.

Much better to read the manual carefully first before trying anything else or doing an action

I've found the "official" tutorial videos from DJI too shortcoming, and very sunny day oriented. You can learn how to fly when everything is going right, but they very lack when conditions are less than ideal

I've learn very much reading the manuals, these forums and a lot of videos, fortunately there are tons of materials out there. So much actually, that you need your grain of salt to know how accurate tips are.

The nice thing about this hobbie is that is very large, and there is always something more to learn. It also takes practice and patience, specially due to the investment of the drone!

Enjoy!

I've never tried flying from straight outta the box before, forgive me for not being familiar with the MA, I have the Pro but I'm certain it helps to at least familiarise yourself with what you have purchased.
:eek:
(totally agree with the majority of the comments on here) There's no rush, take it easy, what you have is not NEW to the world and has all been done/seen before.
When you have fully understood the manual/instructional videos and something isn't quite right then I'm all for any Q's you have.

OOOOps! You would think that as long as the MA has been out, one would remember this is a dual product forum. I always assume MP as I am scanning the new posts in the MP forum.

I've never tried flying from straight outta the box before, forgive me for not being familiar with the MA, I have the Pro but I'm certain it helps to at least familiarise yourself with what you have purchased.
:eek:
(totally agree with the majority of the comments on here) There's no rush, take it easy, what you have is not NEW to the world and has all been done/seen before.
When you have fully understood the manual/instructional videos and something isn't quite right then I'm all for any Q's you have.

Me too :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000