DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stuck in endless firmware update when switching aircraft

ScrubJay

Reactions
Stuck in endless firmware update.

I have a Mavic 3, Mavic 2S and the RC Pro controller. Since the update about 3 weeks ago or so everything has been working great. Launch DJI Fly, choose either 2S or 3, connects quickly. Change aircraft, choose the right one, and it connects quickly. Had no problem switching aircraft.
But after a recent update (not sure which one), it is not working.

When choosing aircraft (2s or 3) the last aircraft flown is good and connects quickly.
If I switch to the other drone, it comes up with “Firmware version inconsistent. Update firmware before use” I assume it means the controller firmware.
So I update, and it connects quickly.
But when I switch back to the other drone (doesn’t matter which), then THAT drone says firmware is inconsistent. So I update, it connects fine.
And again when I switch to the original aircraft, fire up Fly, and guess what, it says firmware inconsistent!!!

So I’m stuck in a loop, the last aircraft updated will fly, the other is inconsistent. I update, and they switch places.
Obviously if I’m in the field I can’t update (no wifi), so I can’t switch aircraft.
And the firmware versions don’t seem to change, they are always the same even after updating.
Also, after each “firmware update” it also says controller will restart, but never does. But I have restarted it, and it doesn’t make a difference.

I believe this started a few days ago, but I haven’t been flying both aircraft, so not sure.
So what am I missing? Am I doing something boneheaded? Has anyone else seen this?
Any ideas?

Mavic 2S firmware 02.04.2130
Mavic 33 firmware 01.00.0500
RC Pro Controller firmware 03.01.0500
Go Fly 1.5.10 (1070 official)

Bin there with a Mavic 2 Pro and standard controller but I don't have your drones; controller; or Go Fly App.
The Mavic 2 Pro uses the Go4App.

I did have the same problem (stuck in a loop 'Inconsistent Firmware and would not update past 93% ending in failure to Update) for several months.
This would fail in 'Assistant 2 for Mavic' and as an update in the Go4App.

Eventually I managed to jumped out of the loop but of all the things I tried I was never able to pin point how. (Was it just shear persistence?)

The inconsistent firmware message I think comes from two sources.​
  1. Battery firmware out of sync with the drone and/or controller firmware
  2. and/or No FlyZone requires Update.
or both at the same time.​

Things I tried slightly differently.
Instead of trying to update the Done/battery on its own.
Using 'Assistant 2 for Mavic' connect the controller by USB cable to the PC.​
Then whilst the controller is connected, now connect the drone also so that both devices appear on the initial page as connected.​
Update the firmware in the controller first (Download; Transmit; Update) hopefully the controller updates successfully.​
Now leave the controller connected and go back to the Device page and click on the drone. On the Firmware page .​
I kept getting the Inconsistent firmware message and progress to update kept ending in failure.​
Repeating this process I eventually received a NoFlyZone needs update message and updating that resulted in success.​
Download 'Assistant 2'
Used 'Assistant 2' and sometimes that gave the Update FlyZone message straight off. Updated the NoFlyzone and then went back to 'Assistant 2 for Mavic' and the update worked fine.​
Use 'Assistant 2' to reset to factory default.
Reset to Factory Default, went back to 'Assistant 2 for Mavic' Update the drone firmware (Download; Transmit; Update)​
The first time I did this reset I updated the firmware from the oldest first and then every update afterwards.​
As stated above I was never able to pinpoint exactly what forced the jump out of the loop but eventually every device updated successfully with no error messages.

In my case things definitely got better after the No FlyZones were updated.

First of all, thanks for a very detailed and excellent response.
However, I still haven’t been able to solve the problem.

I think you may be on to something about the fly safe Database, I did get that to pop up when plugging in my old Mavic Air, but nothing with the 2S or 3.
It says the Flysafe Database is at level 01.00.01.25 on both drones.
Never got an update popup like I did on the old Mavic Air.

I did find I had the wrong version of DJI Assistant 2, so downloaded the Consumer Drone Series, Mac version V2.1.9. I ran through all my aircraft and the controller, and they all showed up to date, but I did a refresh on all of them. No problems.
Tried different batteries on both drones and update - no change.
None of the firmware versions have changed.

Also tried DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic (2.0.14), but the 2S, 3, and RC Pro don’t show up at all, and my old Mavic Air shows up but says not supported. So wrong version for my drones. Probably good for your Mavic 2.

Still have the problem, though. I can still fly, but if I want to change aircraft I have to be connected to the internet, and update some mystery software version, then it connects fine. Only takes a minute.
Otherwise, everything works great, updating from controller or Assistant all complete fine.

It is strange when I get the error on the controller, and let it do the update on the controller, the whole process only takes 20 seconds and says it will restart the controller, but never does. So I’m not sure it’s actually doing anything. And I’m still not sure what firmware it is referring to, the controller, the aircraft, the Flysafe? It doesn’t take long enough to be doing the aircraft or controller. And it always ends up with the same version numbers on everything.

I’ll contact DJI and see what they say. Just don’t have the confidence in DJI that I do in this forum.

Thanks again for your help!

Two different drones. Each uses its own firmware. The RC Pro needs to match the craft. There is nothing wrong, just switching gears.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird